Used Prius scams

So I'm looking at used cars online. I find ads for two different Toyota Prius 2010 with less than 85000km, 9500$ and 8500$ (Canada), apparently two different private sellers living near me (in Montreal, Quebec). Average price for that is 14500$ (verified with CAA-Québec), so it looks like too good of a deal. Pretty good pictures of the outside of the car but none of the dashboard.

I ask for more information for the two cars, in French. First owner (the 9500$ one) replies in English and tells me he retired and moved to a European country, and decided to leave the car here - here being Nova Scotia, not Montreal (why was the ad listed for Montreal, I don't understand). The car is supposed to be stored at the shipping company. Not a whole lot more info than that.

Second owner (the 8500$ one) replies in French and in quite a different style, a long email that seems pre-written with lots of details including the VIN number. Story is similar though, retired, moved to another European country, left the car to a shipping company. Sale will be concluded with the shipping company. Says some meaningless things like that the transaction should be done in an office of the SAAQ (official automobile insurance society of Quebec) or that "everything is legal". Since I had the VIN number I could at least check it was really a 2010 Prius and it is, but getting more info than that would cost some money. I think I could check the full history of the car with that, but even then I'm not sure I'd give money to some potentially fictional person living abroad.

Anyway, if I can't meet the owner and have him physically sign a contract it's a non-starter for me, so I don't intend on even replying. I strongly feel like both are scams and possibly from the same person or organization, as the cars are similar, presented similarly on the site, strategy is similar and fishy looking... Should I attempt to report them?

Of course it's a scam, and you should've known yourself as soon as they said they moved to a European country and left the items in Canada.  Just forget about it and keep looking!

• Like 4

Scamming people with Priuses is a thing?

I need to look up more things

Of course it's a scam, and you should've known yourself as soon as they said they moved to a European country and left the items in Canada.  Just forget about it and keep looking!

Well, I had a lingering thought if I could get my hands on the thing and check that it's free of debts, not stolen, not accidented, etc., might be a good deal. There are official registries you can consult (for a fee) that have those informations. But as you say it's certainly not worth even figuring it out. Just wondering if I should report them to the site, ads have been there for a while now.

Just wondering if I should report them to the site, ads have been there for a while now.

No. Wonder not. Do...or do not. There is no wonder. 

• Like 1

Friend purchased a Merc for £3k below book from a man who's house he went to, saw bills, checked VIN and credit checks on the car passed. Turns out the house was a weekly rental and the VIN and plates were cloned from a legit car and they sold several of the same Mercs over a few days then fled.

He was blinded by the cheap price (usually these scams pray on the bargain hunters) and lost the car when Merc tried to get him a second key and found out nothing matched.

Moral - if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

• Like 4

Friend purchased a Merc for £3k below book from a man who's house he went to, saw bills, checked VIN and credit checks on the car passed. Turns out the house was a weekly rental and the VIN and plates were cloned from a legit car and they sold several of the same Mercs over a few days then fled.

Couldn't he make sure that the VIN matched that of the actual car? It should be written both on the dashboard and the driver door post, and you can verify that this is the same number in the insurance and service records...

Couldn't he make sure that the VIN matched that of the actual car? It should be written both on the dashboard and the driver door post, and you can verify that this is the same number in the insurance and service records...

They had obscured the one on the dashboard and replaced the door one by cutting out and welding in a new one. The guy at Merc said it was a very professional job.