San Bernadino CA: 3 active shooters

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

That's from 2013 and the federal stats take 1.5 to 2 years to compile.  2014 should come this winter or spring.

Cool, meanwhile there has been:

994 mass shootings in 1,004 days.

18 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Such a bold and false statement. I lived in Los Angeles during the riots. :pinch:

And Detroit had to call in the National Guard, and tanks had to fire.

Anyhow, the armored vehicles that were given the police aren't armed with any mounted devices  stronger than water cannons or tear gas dispensers. They're used to more safely insert cops in shooter situations etc.

21 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Of course not.  Make it harder for people to get guns and you will see the amount of shootings go down.  Common sense.

Common sense is not so common in #Freedomland.

This is a sad day. :( Please don't give in to fear.

17 minutes ago, ctebah said:

From ThinkProgress

Gun-deaths--638x409.jpg

I'd say we've had a pretty significant drop in gun deaths by this chart.

Another from Mother Jones

pubhealth_1-02.png

Also, even government statistics from the CDC aren't available post 2013.

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

And Detroit had to call in the National Guard, and tanks had to fire.

Anyhow, the armored vehicles that were given the police aren't armed with any mounted devices  stronger than water cannons or tear gas dispensers. They're used to more safely insert cops in shooter situations etc.

I see. I thought you all wanted mounted weaponry on civilian police vehicles similar to what we use in the military.

Man, this is so sad. My heart goes out to my fellow Americans dealing with these horrible events.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

Maybe this is why police could use those armored  vehicles and heavy weaponry that Obama doesn't think they need.  None of those armored vehicles have any mounted weapons on them and they would surely be useful in moving in to evacuate wounded citizens in cases like these.

Maybe this is why guns need to be restricted, as Obama has called for countless times.

Just now, JHBrown said:

I see. I thought you all wanted mounted weaponry on civilian police vehicles similar to what we use in the military.

No. Armored yes, for safer insertions. But alas Obama wants to take those away, forcing cities who need them to buy new ones at about $350,000 per. 

13 minutes ago, DocM said:

That's from 2013 and the federal stats take 1.5 to 2 years to compile.  2014 should come this winter or spring.

Agreed, I don't want this to be another gun control scapegoat.

• Like 2

Just now, DocM said:

No. Armored yes, for safer insertions. But alas Obama wants to take those away, forcing cities who need them to buy new ones at about $350,000 per. 

Police don't need tanks, even in America. The militarisation of the police has to stop.

3 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Police don't need tanks, even in America. The militarisation of the police has to stop.

You want cops to charge in unprotected rather than protected save for the last few feet? How silly. Grow up.

• Like 2

Just now, DocM said:

You want cops to charge in unprotected rather than protected save for the last few feerlt? How silly. Grow up.

In the UK cops aren't armed, don't drive tanks and protect people rather than murdering them in the street. So yes, I want US policing to change.

Just now, theyarecomingforyou said:

In the UK cops aren't armed, don't drive tanks and protect people rather than murdering them in the street. So yes, I want US policing to change.

Get out of here with that common sense..

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Exactly.  Instead of arming the police even further, maybe they need to finally disarm some of the citizens...

umm no we need to arm more citizens so this stuff can be stopped quicker.

Just now, Ravensky said:

umm no we need to arm more citizens so this stuff can be stopped quicker.

That's like saying the cure to AIDS is infecting more people with AIDS.

6 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

UK uses Jankel armored trucks, so wrong, and the vast majority 9f police shootings are justified in spite of BLM propoganda.

And if UK cops had to deal with what US cops do they'd insist on phasers set to anything but stun. 

1 minute ago, DocM said:

UK uses Jankel armored trucks, so wrong, and the vast majority 9f police shootings are justified in spite of BLM propoganda.

So everything is just peachy with policing in the US? :laugh:

This is what the UK uses (clearly not a tank):

Met-police-armoured-truck.jpg

This is what the US uses:

b0816fc0-23d0-11e4-a67c-11f85ad0904e_RTR

Please tell me that you can see the difference.

1 minute ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Please tell me that you can see the difference.

Functionally, the only difference is one has a place for a guy to sit on top.

1 minute ago, DocM said:

The black Yukon was found abandoned.

I thought as much. There's been too much time for them to ditch and move on.