VMWare tools don't install in XUbuntu guest

I have a VM with XUbuntu 15.04 that is build for VMWare. I use the same VM build on both Macs and Windows.

I have tried, literally, for months to install the VMWare tools but it craps out all the time.  Is there someone who has successfully done this that can point me to a good "recipe" for success? I have tried the stuff on VMWare's website and gotten nowhere... Nothing I try goes anywhere. I'm learning with Linux, so my bag of tricks is very light. I have no doubt something simple is the problem and I just don't recognize the issue on my own.

(Mods: If this should be on a different board, please move it. I wasn't sure which board best fit.)

apt-get install open-vm-tools

I just found today while installing vmware tools on a couple of Linux servers that apparently since... I don't know, maybe around ESX5... the open-vm-tools package available on the OS repositories is the preferred and recommended way to install the tools, rather than using the vmware media.

Are you running this on workstation?  Player, esxi?  What verison?

What version of the tools are you trying to install - version 10 is out.  While I don't have a Xubuntu 15.04 running.. I do have ubuntu 14.04 running have had no issues installing the tools... even updated them to 10, by installing version 10 on my esxi host.

While the openvmtools are easy to install, the native version shouldn't be all that hard either..  I have the openvm tools running on other vms as well.

I'll fire up a copy of xubuntu 15.04 and take a look see.  But knowing what vmware your using would help, and what version of the tools?

edit: ok that went real easy.. 15.10 is current for Xubuntu.  Grabbed 64bit version, created vm - installed os.. mounted tools iso, extracted tools gz in to /tmp, sudo su to root.. Ran the vmware-install.pl said yes to run legacy installer, answered default to all the rest bing bang zoom

tools.thumb.png.b814d402013fbbd28a71935d

Yeah worked like charm.  What vwmare product are u running my guess to problems with native tools would be running a os version vm that the products doesnt fully support or understand yet.  If on old version of vmware software with latest and greatest version of os for your vm sure could have issues