8 PS2 games coming to PS4 tomorrow with full support (trophies, streaming, remote play, etc.)

http://kotaku.com/eight-ps2-games-are-coming-to-ps4-tomorrow-and-theyre-1746299713

Starting tomorrow, you’ll be able to download and play PS2 games likeDark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and Grand Theft Auto III on PlayStation 4. If you’re willing to pay.

Continuing the grand tradition they started with PlayStation Now, Sony’s decided to charge a whole lot of money for these PS2 classics, which they say are “uprendered” in 1080p resolution and will support live broadcasts and remote play among other PS4 features. All the PS2 games in this program will get trophy support, too.

Via Sony, here’s the list of games that’ll be out tomorrow:

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
  • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
  • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
  • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
  • War of the Monsters — $9.99

We’re expecting more PlayStation news—maybe even more backwards compatibility news!—during the PlayStation Experience keynote, which starts tomorrow at 1pm. We’ll be there, of course, so stay tuned to Kotakufor all the news as it happens.

You'd want some pretty significant visual improvements to justify that pricing. This sort of seems to be Sony's thing: come up with a good idea, then kill it with high pricing.

• Like 2

Wait... So no disc based backward recognition with download they are actually charging for this? And PS3, PS2 download licences can't be migrated either??!

Yeah... ah no thank you. This seems like extremely bad PR when Microsoft is doing it for free. Yes the 360, I realise not the original xbox.

Someone needs to pay for 1080p/60FPS and trophies.

That being said, the option should be there for playback in 480p/30~60FPS of the originals for free. Also like Nintendo if you own a PS2 classic on PSN, you should only have to pay a small fee to get the upgraded version.

And finally $14.99 is too much.

I can't express in words how disappointed I am in this feature.

I've been waiting and hoping since PS1/PS2 emulation was first rumored near launch that this "backwards compatibility" would come to the PS4.  If this is all it's going to be then it's completely useless to me.  I wouldn't pay $0.99 for the PS2 games I already have let alone $9.99 to $14.99.

Since the PS4 isn't, and will never be, backwards compatible with the PS3 I still have my PS3 around.  I only got rid of my PS1 when I got a PS2 that was backwards compatible and I only got rid of my PS2 because my PS3 was the original, hardware backwards compatible, version.  I have a library of PlayStation games from PS1-PS4 (yes, I still play even my favorite PS1 games from time to time). 

My concern is that my PS3 isn't going to last forever and the hardware backwards compatible ones are no longer being produced.  I don't want to be at the mercy of ebay to buy a device to play my games should my PS3 fail.  If the PS4 can play PS1/PS2 games then if/when my PS3 fails I can just replace it with whatever the latest model is (with no backwards compatibility).  PS2 games (played on the PS3 currently) don't look very good on a modern HDTV but I was really hoping if PS4 added general PS2 emulation I could stream them to my PS Vita where they would likely look great on the small screen.

I just want to stick my Front Mission 4 disc (as an example) into the PS4 and have it work.  Remote Play would be GREAT, again I couldn't care less about trophy support, the 1080p uprez might be neat but it doesn't work on sprites/textures so I'm not sure how useful it would really be.  If they can't play the games directly off the disc like the old consoles did for some reason that's fine but at least do something like MS where you put the disc in and it downloads the digital version from the PS Store without having to buy it again (the requires the disc to be in to play just for DRM going forward).  They could start selling those games again digitally to people who don't have discs anymore and that money could be used for their uprez and trophy support.  Also for PS1 games if you bought the PS1 digitally already to play on the Vita and such then it should play on the PS4 when PS1 emulation hits as well.  You shouldn't have to keep buying the same game over and over (excluding remasters where they go in and actually change the games code to run natively instead of emulating the system it ran on)

For those who already purchased the games, and still own them, puts those in a major disadvantage of having to re-purchasing it.  I owned Rogue Galaxy in the past but I sold it a couple of years ago.  Outside of both Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud all of the games are going for $10 or less on eBay.  I agree with others that it does suck with Sony milking people for older games but Nintendo does the same thing with the Zelda series.  Personally I will be purchasing Rogue Galaxy again.  I enjoyed that game quite a bit but never finished the game.

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2016 at 10:26 PM, Audioboxer said:

Bully is one the best Rockstar games we'll never see a sequel with.

This. I'm not sure if Rockstar are worried about the PC crowd backlash and the changes there's been in society since the last one. There's a difference between the way GTA is viewed and the way a new Bully would by those who have never even played the original.

hqdefault.jpg