Windows 10 and Num Lock

All my Windows 10 devices turn Num Lock off after a restart.  Does anybody know what the cause is for this, or why this is happening?  Thanks.

It is worse at work, if I remote desktop to a Server 2012 R2 server, Num Lock gets turned off too.

So what happened here?  Windows 7 or 8 did not require registry changes.  I am using the same system that Windows 7 or 8 had installed, so it is the same BIOS configuration.

2 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

So what happened here?  Windows 7 or 8 did not require registry changes.  I am using the same system that Windows 7 or 8 had installed, so it is the same BIOS configuration.

Windows 10 ignores the BIOS setting. The only workaround is the Registry tweak posted above by zhangm.

I have NUMlock turned on in my BIOS, but if I start Windows 10 from a cold boot, NUMlock is not enabled.  But if I have it enabled and simply reboot the PC, it stays in its NUMlock state.  I only note this because I use a PIN to log in instead of a password.

3 minutes ago, devHead said:

I have NUMlock turned on in my BIOS, but if I start Windows 10 from a cold boot, NUMlock is not enabled.  But if I have it enabled and simply reboot the PC, it stays in its NUMlock state.  I only note this because I use a PIN to log in instead of a password.

That is what I am struggling with.  And at work, it is worse whenever I remote in to a server, it disables my numlock so I have to enable it about 20 times a day.

Just now, devHead said:

As do I.  I had a reg tweak to turn it off but I can't find it.

I've tried everything posted here....regedits, BIOS, etc....does not change for me. NumLock is my (now) most hated key on my keyboard, as my password is 17 charachters, mix of upper/lower/numeric/and symbols. For the life of me, I cannot make my laptop boot up with the NumLock key on. I have to turn it on at EVERY single boot, and frankly, it pisses me off. (although, could be worse, I guess.....)

2 hours ago, zhangm said:

You can change the system default (always off or always on) using regedit. HKU\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978657.aspx

If you turn off fast startup, it may allow your system to remember the previous state.

I'd NEVER turn off fast startup, isn't that what Microsoft promised would get shorter by default? Startup times? (It has for me, as far as I can tell, but for something so simple it should not have to be disabled, as it is, and has been, a touted "feature") I know that from my end, Windows 95 and up, it always worked. Shame you have to settle for a slower system (disable fast boot), then just let it rip, and have everything you need at the get-go. Oh well, maybe...MAYBE....one day, it'll be a useable "feature"......'til then, guess I'm stuck spamming the NumLock key just to get to put my (rather long) password in just to get to something as simple as my desktop (Linux has NEVER had me do such a thing, livecd or not....so I am confuse) If someone could shed some light, I've been waiting in the dark since 8 rolled around, so please, input something that makes this easier for the end user....because I just don't see it being easier if you have to jump through hoops for something so simple and asinine. Counter-productive, and counter-intuitive at the same time, just for simple functionality that should...SHOULD...be there by default. /Rant..... (sorry, this has grinded my gears for a while now)

7 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

I'd NEVER turn off fast startup, isn't that what Microsoft promised would get shorter by default? Startup times? (It has for me, as far as I can tell, but for something so simple it should not have to be disabled, as it is, and has been, a touted "feature") I know that from my end, Windows 95 and up, it always worked. Shame you have to settle for a slower system (disable fast boot), then just let it rip, and have everything you need at the get-go. Oh well, maybe...MAYBE....one day, it'll be a useable "feature"......'til then, guess I'm stuck spamming the NumLock key just to get to put my (rather long) password in just to get to something as simple as my desktop (Linux has NEVER had me do such a thing, livecd or not....so I am confuse) If someone could shed some light, I've been waiting in the dark since 8 rolled around, so please, input something that makes this easier for the end user....because I just don't see it being easier if you have to jump through hoops for something so simple and asinine. Counter-productive, and counter-intuitive at the same time, just for simple functionality that should...SHOULD...be there by default. /Rant..... (sorry, this has grinded my gears for a while now)

You would feel worse if you used remote desktop and it constantly turns off during the day.  WHY?!

28 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It is recommended to turn Fast Startup off. I have it turned off and my PC boots in 20 seconds.

According to who?

19 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

According to who?

Well it only works from a cold start, not a restart. It requires that you have Hibernation turned on which will use up to 75% of the amount of memory you have in hard drive space. If you have old spinner type Hard Drives this may not be an issue. With SSD's it is. I have 24gB of memory so just for hibernation it would take up 18gB of expensive drive space. I hardly ever turn off my machine but put it to sleep. You can read about it at the link below, the costs do not outweigh the benefits of using it.

Hmmm

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Well it only works from a cold start, not a restart. It requires that you have Hibernation turned on which will use up to 75% of the amount of memory you have in hard drive space. If you have old spinner type Hard Drives this may not be an issue. With SSD's it is. I have 24gB of memory so just for hibernation it would take up 18gB of expensive drive space. I hardly ever turn off my machine but put it to sleep. You can read about it at the link below, the costs do not outweigh the benefits of using it.

Hmmm, never thought about it like that.

On 12/7/2015, 8:00:51, xWhiplash said:

That is what I am struggling with.  And at work, it is worse whenever I remote in to a server, it disables my numlock so I have to enable it about 20 times a day.

I just got into the habit of using NumLock to dismiss the lock screen. That way you can still log in entirely with the numeric keypad. :p

InitialKeyboardIndicators was already set to "2" by default on my PC and NumLock is still always off on a cold boot.

strange isn't it? kind of like buying a Maserati and find out the blinker has to be started by lifting the hood AFTER you start the car. :shiftyninja: Way to impress the lady right? :laugh:

2014-maserati-gt-car-hd-wallpaper-1920x1 

Just now, chrisj1968 said:

strange isn't it? kind of like buying a Maserati and find out the blinker has to be started by lifting the hood AFTER you start the car. :shiftyninja: Way to impress the lady right? :laugh:

2014-maserati-gt-car-hd-wallpaper-1920x1 

Ike most computer to car analogies, that fell flat on its face. 

It would be more akin to turning on your AC every time you start the car instead of the last setting being remembered.