XBOX a progressive scan dvd player?

Even with a modchip it still only outputs DVDs in 480i.. why do not know but games yes as you said are outputed in HDTV resolutions 480i/720p/1080i if your monitor supports it. FYI: There is indeed a progressive patch for games that are 480i (not progressive) but does NOT work on DVD.

get ps2 :D its a progessive scan DVD Player, a good one at that. ever since the new models, Ps2 has been a great DVD player, if ur into the market for one, then get a PS2! with remote and for the $50* difference from a normal dvd player u get a gaming console as well.

*not including remote

Liquid if your going to get into a debate why not just state your choice and reasons like you did here in the Best Console thread when this has nothing to do with the original intent of the thread except for the fact your saying the PS2 has progressive scan when he has an XBOX. Also you still can't beat a REAL progessive scan DVD player because thats NOT what the PS2 or XBOX if you manage it was made for.

Plus, the DVD format can't produce 1080 lines. Once you go HD, and play a DVD, it will still be clear, but not really any better resolution. There are different plans in the works for Hi-Def DVDs. Great. We will need to re-buy all of our movie titles.. :no:

Liquid if your going to get into a debate why not just state your choice and reasons like you did here in the Best Console thread when this has nothing to do with the original intent of the thread except for the fact your saying the PS2 has progressive scan when he has an XBOX. Also you still can't beat a REAL progessive scan DVD player because thats NOT what the PS2 or XBOX if you manage it was made for.

actually they spent a h3ll of alot of time on the dvd part of the ps2, and as alot of High techno ppl sa that spend hours in front of tv's watching dvd's, the "NEW" PlayStation 2 SCHP-50001 is a great DVD PLayer, and could compete with any other Progessive Scan DVD Player. I'm not saying its the best, but it is very good. The Older PS2's DVD Player was caRp.

Look - the XBOX can't do it, and you want a progressive scan DVD player - GET A REAL ONE. Unless you really want a PS2 for gaming, get a real progressive scan DVD player - I'm sure you'll thank yourself.

Even with a modchip it still only outputs DVDs in 480i.. why do not know but games yes as you said are outputed in HDTV resolutions 480i/720p/1080i if your monitor supports it. FYI: There is indeed a progressive patch for games that are 480i (not progressive) but does NOT work on DVD.

Wrong, with DVDX software you can play any region dvd in progressive scan.

lol, on second thought it's not really a money issue, just wanting to know if either console functioned as a progressive scan DVD player

um correct me if im wrong but i was under the belief all dvds are 480i (hence there resolution of 720x480) and progressive scan has nothing to do with resolution but how the moviei s displayed. regular scanning draws half the lines of resolution (line 1,3,5,7,9, ..) for one frame then 2,4,6,8,... the next prgressive does all of the lines @ the same time. buy the High Definition cables for xbox and your gonna get as good a picture as anything else.

bump can someone confirm what I said. im not 100% sure

I think you are right. In normal "TV" mode, the video is all interlaced, anyhow, so a progressive scan DVD player will not help you any. I think the advantage is if you go component video (S-Video or RGB, etc.) and get away from the BNC coax connection. I think that the component video does not do the interlace thing, IIRC.

Of course, I could be wrong, too... :rofl:

no, component video will do interlaced, cause i have it on the back of my new 27" apex tv and it is not a HDTV. component video is just a better connection