Why is subscribing so complicated?

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

Sorry, but the information about The Tier 1 is false because ads are still shown for those members. Only the Tier 2 group are exempt from seeing ads. 

I don't seem to have used the Tier 1 price ($14.00) in my math anywhere. You can advocate that the Tier 1 price should be cheaper. But the Tier 2 price seems to have been the implicit topic of conversation here.

1 minute ago, Danielx64 said:

While that may be true, what about the fact that in some cases you only get paid if someone clicks on the ads?

In some cases that may be true. However many ad providers have a proprietary formula for aggregating all clicks and all views and deducing an amount that is paid based on total views mixed with total clicks. It appears that this arrives at approximately $28 for an entire year of viewership.

Just now, Benjo85au said:

I don't seem to have used the Tier 1 price ($14.00) in my math anywhere. You can advocate that the Tier 1 price should be cheaper. But the Tier 2 price seems to have been the implicit topic of conversation here.

Oops, My bad! :pinch: That's what I get for skim reading.

2 minutes ago, Benjo85au said:

In some cases that may be true. However many ad providers have a proprietary formula for aggregating all clicks and all views and deducing an amount that is paid based on total views mixed with total clicks. It appears that this arrives at approximately $28 for an entire year of viewership.

Even then I still don't think that it worth paying $28 per year to get rid of the ads, esp when this forum have gone downhill since the upgrade (see my comment on page 1 about this).

7 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

While that may be true, what about the fact that in some cases you only get paid if someone clicks on the ads?

We get an amount per view, and a higher amount if you go on to click. And don't forget to factor in that each page has more than one advert on it, so multiply benjo's number by three or four, and you'll see the per-ad payout doesn't have to be much at all to make $28 over the course of a year

1 minute ago, Danielx64 said:

Even then I still don't think that it worth paying $28 per year to get rid of the ads, esp when this forum have gone downhill since the upgrade (see my comment on page 1 about this).

Then don't, keep the ads, at no cost to you, and we'll be able to afford to keep the site running from the income generated through the adverts. No-one is forcing you to subscribe.

55 minutes ago, Benjo85au said:

Lets take a group of 10 current users.

Currently those 10 ad-viewing users generate $280 of revenue for the site by viewing ads over the course of a year.

---- $10 Subscription ----------

If 5 of those 10 users decide to subscribe for $10, they no longer view ads. So there is 5 users for $50 and 5 users viewing ads at $28/year which generates $190 in revenue.

If 10 of those 10 users decide to subscribe for $10, they no longer view ads. So there is 10 users paying $100. The site is losing $180 in revenue every year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---- $28 Subscription ----------

If 5 of those 10 users decide to subscribe for $28, they no longer view ads. So there is 5 users for $140 and 5 users viewing ads at $28/year which generates $280 in revenue.

If 10 of those 10 users decide to subscribe for $28, they no longer view ads. So there is 10 users paying $280. The site is losing $0 in revenue every year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most other people seem to have made assumptions predicated on the fact that a user contributes no revenue to the site when they are not a subscriber. This is not true.

I used arbitrary numbers but my point still stands. Especially since someone bothered by ads is just as quick to block them or by a sub vs someone who just keeps ads. You are talking about two different type of people. 

if ads are blocked, Neowin isn't getting a single cent. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

I used arbitrary numbers but my point still stands. Especially since someone bothered by ads is just as quick to block them or by a sub vs someone who just keeps ads. You are talking about two different type of people. 

if ads are blocked, Neowin isn't getting a single cent. 

That's very true. That means that Neowin would be making the assumption that a majority of people are likely to whitelist Neowin or not block ads and therefore doesn't justify the cost of subsidizing subscriptions.

If that assumption is valid or not, only Neowin would know. Traffic numbers vs Ad views would probably provide some concrete evidence one way or the other.

19 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Pricing seems fair as it currently stands.

There was never a question as to fairness rather that lowering the price will increase subscribers and therefore that type of  revenue. 

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Money wise it may not be, but is it good value?

I pay mostly to support the site and be able to go I use adblock, NA NA NA NA NA without any fears or shame.

So... that is a yes?

2 hours ago, _Alexander said:

I pay mostly to support the site and be able to go I use adblock, NA NA NA NA NA without any fears or shame.

So... that is a yes?

I originally subscribed because I felt so bad blocking the ads, but having worked at a digital advertisement agency, they ALL drive me up a wall now if not done really, really well.

We have 117 subscribers at present,  83 of those have a Tier 2 sub @ $28 when you consider there are only ever around 200 members logged in at any one time, that is a massive turnaround.

TBH I am more interested in turning those hundreds of lurkers into registered members, but again the fact we don't block much for guests means they can browse the forums without too much of a distraction. Just off topic forums are blocked for them.

@Steven P. If you are interested in having all those guests become registered members then you may want to look at the experience that the current members are having and work on that. And if that mean moving away from IPS then so be it.

5 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

@Steven P. If you are interested in having all those guests become registered members then you may want to look at the experience that the current members are having and work on that. And if that mean moving away from IPS then so be it.

We are working on fixing issues across the forums, as you'll see by our responses in the bug threads

1 hour ago, BinaryData said:

At least it worked for you. I had issues of it rejecting my information, kept telling me my number was MasterCard when it's clearly Visa xD

The MasterCard should be linked with your PayPal account, not with Neowin or our Donations app.