• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How seriously is Microsoft treating Windows 10 Mobile?

Recommended Posts

Mockingbird    2,990

How seriously is Microsoft treating Windows 10 Mobile?

 

These days Microsoft seems more interested in releasing apps to rival platforms (iOS and Android) than its own, or even releasing and rolling out the operating system and devices for that matter.

 

Even Project Islandwood which is suppose to allow ports of iOS apps has maybe 5 people working on it and the whole project still seems to be in the alpha stage.

Edited by illegaloperation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938

Microsoft is intelligent enough to know that they do not put all their eggs in one basket. It has nothing to do with the perceived lack of seriousness in Windows Mobile. Not to mention that there are A LOT of MS employees. The ones making apps for other platforms are not the same ones working on Windows Mobile 10.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbasil    63

They're super duper serial - just like Al Gore! :-D

 

 

On the more serious note, I think that they don't know what they're doing or where they're going (towards Cyanogenmod?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
2 minutes ago, sbasil said:

They're super duper serial - just like Al Gore! :-D

 

 

On the more serious note, I think that they don't know what they're doing or where they're going (towards Cyanogenmod?).

I think they have a very clear plan, and none of it is going towards cyanogenmod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbasil    63
32 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I think they have a very clear plan, and none of it is going towards cyanogenmod.

There's a big difference having a plan and actually executing it successfully. So far I'd call their plan "dreaming." Their current "plan" is still missing out the most important element: customers! It's difficult to sell something if and when their competitors do it better, even cheaper. So far I see no reason to stay with Windows platform after my 1520 dies. I like it, but there are better non-Windows phones on the market. Another reason is Netflix. WP and Chromecast are a-big-no-no. I already got crashed and burned with one Windows mobile device (RT/2520..the whole platform was pretty much DOA), so I'm not gonna take another hit with WP. :-D

Edited by sbasil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pork Chopper    126

I got rid of my Lumia 928 and got a Galaxy S6 Edge.  Now I finally have apps that are useful. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
15 minutes ago, sbasil said:

There's a big difference having a plan and actually executing it successfully. So far I'd call their plan "dreaming." Their current "plan" is still missing out the most important element: customers! It's difficult to sell something if their competitors do it better, even cheaper. So far I see no reason to stay with Windows platform after my 1520 dies. I like it, but there are better non-Windows phones on the market. Another reason is Netflix. WP and Chromecast are a-big-no-no. I already got crashed and burned with one Windows mobile device (RT/2520..the whole platform was pretty much DOA), so I'm not gonna take another hit with WP. :-D

Microsoft plays the long term game. I'd explain it but I'm on my iPhone and don't want to type an essay. You can see if for yourself if you step back and look how MS has shaped and molded the current PC industry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbasil    63
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Microsoft plays the long term game. I'd explain it but I'm on my iPhone and don't want to type an essay. You can see if for yourself if you step back and look how MS has shaped and molded the current PC industry. 

I'm sure they do. I just don't want to be a victim of their long-term game any longer.  I rather use devices that are great right now than ones that might be OK in the year 2030.  But I do hope that MS will pull it off in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,990
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I think they have a very clear plan, and none of it is going towards cyanogenmod.

I give Microsoft an A for a plan, but an F for a execution.

 

Plan:

Let the same Windows Universal Apps run on PCs/tablets, phones, Xbox, IoTs

 

Let developers port apps from iOS to Universal platform using Project Islandwood.

 

Execution:

Few universal apps. None than can run on all the platforms: PCs/tablets, phones, Xbox, IoTs. 

Windows 10 Mobile hasn't even rolled out for older phones.

 

Project Islandwood is in the alpha stage and nowhere ready for prime time.

 

Conclusion:

Great plan. Horrendous execution.

As my mom used to say: Talk is cheap!

 

I don't know why nobody has been fired yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Order_66    948

If they were truly serious they would listen to Ballmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,545
2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Microsoft is intelligent enough to know that they do not put all their eggs in one basket. It has nothing to do with the perceived lack of seriousness in Windows Mobile. Not to mention that there are A LOT of MS employees. The ones making apps for other platforms are not the same ones working on Windows Mobile 10.

Like having only one Kernel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
6 minutes ago, margrave said:

Like having only one Kernel?

 

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

 

Wanna know what one kernel can do? Look at all of the various devices running Linux, from coffee machines, to phones, to servers. 

 

All using the Linux kernel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrack    481

Been using the platform from the days of WP7, Lumia 800. Now I have Lumia 930 and I just got the insider build WM10 on it and I must say, I am impressed how well it runs. I have laptops with W10 on it and all my universal apps (well designed ones) sync with each other, the data is persistent, the platform feels much smoother now.

 

I personally believe that within 6-9 months companies will start putting resource back to Universal apps and all of a sudden it will be good.

 

Since the WP7 days, one thing I have experienced is the buttery smooth OS and no matter what hardware I tried it on. Never had to restart the phone just because it was getting slower or had to factory reset as it was getting slower. One thing they got right is the core which manages the resources and with time it will get better and better.

 

Have to agree with @illegaloperation about execution. They are worst at it and not learning anything with the mistakes they have made so far. Another thing or two they need to fix it this US being the be all and one all approach and treat other regions with the same priority. Cortana is the prime example of this. Bing is another.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438

What's the beef? WM10 is running fine on my 950. They've even released an update for it already. I'd say they're as serious with it as they are with other stuff they're working on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438
15 minutes ago, wrack said:

Have to agree with @illegaloperation about execution. They are worst at it and not learning anything with the mistakes they have made so far. Another thing or two they need to fix it this US being the be all and one all approach and treat other regions with the same priority. Cortana is the prime example of this. Bing is another.

Easier said than done. There's trade laws, etc, etc. that need followed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vcfan    2,339

"The free upgrade for Windows 10 is meant to improve our phone position. That is the reason why I made that decision. If somebody wants to know whether I'm committed to Windows Phone, they should think about what I just did with the free upgrade to Windows," -Satya Nadella

 

/thread

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,835
3 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

These days Microsoft seems more interested in releasing apps to rival platforms (iOS and Android) than its own, or even releasing and rolling out the operating system and devices for that matter.

Of course they are, the majority of their users are on other platforms. Not WP. You go where the money is. Family is on O365, but we wouldn't be if it was limited to just windows phones or PCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,990
46 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Easier said than done. There's trade laws, etc, etc. that need followed.

It's not even that. There is no sense of urgency: datelines come and go.

 

Project Islandwood was announced on May 1, but is still in alpha stage.

 

Windows 10 Mobile should have been finished months ago and rolling out to older devices right now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
1 minute ago, illegaloperation said:

It's not even that. There is no sense of urgency: datelines come and go.

 

Project Islandwood was announced on May 1, but is still in alpha stage.

 

Windows 10 Mobile should have been finished months ago and rolling out to older devices right now.

 

 

Well let's discuss that. What deadlines have been given?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,990
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Well let's discuss that. What deadlines have been given?

Nothing publicly, but we do know that internal deadlines where missed. (i.e. Lumia 950/Lumia 950 XL shipped late, Windows 10 Mobile has still not been rolled out)

 

And that's just the problem.

 

_________________________________________________

 

Project Islandwood should be a high priority with a big team working around-the-clock and working over time, not a ~5 person team.

 

Supported for the most common APIs should be completed by now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
Just now, illegaloperation said:

Nothing publicly, but we do know that internal deadlines where missed. (i.e. Lumia 950/Lumia 950 XL shipped late, Windows 10 Mobile has still not been rolled out)

 

And that's just the problem.

 

_________________________________________________

 

Project Islandwood should be a high priority with a big team working around-the-clock and working over time, not a ~5 person team.

 

Supported for the most common APIs should be completed by now.

 

Well there ya go.  You cannot miss deadlines you do not have or publish. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,990
Just now, adrynalyne said:

Well there ya go.  You cannot miss deadlines you do not have or publish. 

You mean like Windows 10 Mobile rolling out right now? Yes, that has been published.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
1 minute ago, illegaloperation said:

You mean like Windows 10 Mobile rolling out right now? Yes, that has been published.

And it is rolling out. I'm not following how that is a missed deadline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,990
Just now, adrynalyne said:

And it is rolling out. I'm not following how that is a missed deadline?

Really? Which devices has it been rolled out to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,938
1 minute ago, illegaloperation said:

Really? Which devices has it been rolled out to?

The only devices it has been announced for, the 950 and 950xl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.