How seriously is Microsoft treating Windows 10 Mobile?

2 hours ago, Riva said:

They only have one OS and it is Windows 10. Mobile is just an edition. Are they serious about their only OS?

Humanity might not be doomed after all. I couldn't have said it any better (Y).

I'm wondering. All you haters which are hating: did you ever try Windows 10 Mobile? Or do you just enjoy citing the so-called app gap and the market share numbers you find in articles here and there?

About the app gap: yes, non-significant players (local banks, shops, and other small instances) are missing from the store. The big players however, have an app. Small players are missing an app due to budget reasons (I've done my share of asking companies around). Indeed, for small players, it doesn't make sense to put money and resources into a system with a small market share.

However, I believe that Microsoft has chosen the right strategy to strengthen and expand that market share by unifying it's platform. We'll soon (once Windows 10 Mobile is rolled out) be speaking about a combined ecosystem. As Riva said above: there is only 1 OS. And I don't think MS is foolish enough to give it all up. People, like it or not, Windows 10 is here to stay.

Edited by Raphaël G.

I haven't seen anyone mention what Microsoft itself would deem a "success". 

I would have to assume that if they got 10% market share that they would consider that a success. As we all know from past experiences, it takes ALOT for someone to switch ecosystems once they are using one.

I'm chomping at the bits to see what is different at this years build from last years.  

21 minutes ago, tompkin said:

I haven't seen anyone mention what Microsoft itself would deem a "success". 

I would have to assume that if they got 10% market share that they would consider that a success. 

The smartphone market is now 1.4 billion smartphones a year.

In order for Microsoft to get 10% market share... they'd need to sell 140 million smartphones in a year.

Yeah I'd say that would be a tremendous success... considering Windows Phone is only around 30 million smartphones a year right now.