Windows 10 on a 6-7 years old PC; upgrade or stay on Windows 7?

A friend of mine asks for his dad whether or not he should upgrade to Windows 10.

SItuation; a 7 years old notebook with Windows 7 installed (specs I don't know)

He is wondering if the ending mainstraim support is affecting security updates/patches. Plus, everything must kind of work the same as currently is...

Windows 7 support ends in 2020 - they have plenty of time.

As for Windows 10 - let them read this article. If they are OK with all the ##### Microsoft has been adding to Windows since Windows 8, then surely let 'em install Windows 10. Everyone else on Neowin will tell you that Windows 10 is the greatest OS in the world and you should install it right away. 3-2-1 ...

Edited by zhangm
do not circumvent swear filter

I guess I'd like to know the specifications before giving any sort of advice. Personally I think Windows 10 feels slower on startup on a spinning drive than 7 when compared to a fresh boot. (No I'm not talking about the cheating fast boot windows 10 does but a restart).

That being said, once started up it feel pretty snappy.

LIke the person above said, if at all possible, put an SSD in that machine, and put windows 10 on. Machine will run great for the most part, depending on the specs.

For all we know the laptop could be running a 7 year old Atom CPU with 1 GB of ram.

Just pick whatever does it for you and gloss over the nonsense.  On my particular hardware anyway, got 10 on a few older systems (C2D's and such), performance wise 10 is more or less identical to 7, except for startup and shutdown where it's significantly faster, and on older hardware 7 is reeeeeealy slow when it comes to processing updates.  Got 8.1U1 on a few junkers too, also performs just fine, I won't even bother with 7 anymore, when I want a "classic desktop" I just use 8.1U1 and convert it into a traditional desktop, performs a bit better than 7 and not as resource hungry. 7 takes wayyyyyy to long to configure/update/get where I want it anymore, but *shrug* as said above, good till 2020.

I've had a great experience with old AMD boxes upgrading to Windows 10.  I hated using the machines with 7 on them, with 10 it was so much more usable.

Can't really speak for Intel ones.

FWIW -  I redid an older desktop (Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 120GB mushkin SSD) for a surprise XMAS gift to someone who cant afford a new computer - I installed Win10 on it and it is running great (on it now)

15 hours ago, birdie said:

As for Windows 10 - let them read this article. If they are OK with all the ##### Microsoft has been adding to Windows since Windows 8, then surely let 'em install Windows 10. Everyone else on Neowin will tell you that Windows 10 is the greatest OS in the world and you should install it right away. 3-2-1 ...

Disregarding its factual inaccuracies, your article itself indicates that most of the alleged issues that plague Windows 10 are also present in previous versions, so it makes no sense to recommend Windows 7 over Windows 10. That said, it is interesting that you link to the same article in practically every post you make—it is not difficult for others to see your agenda.

OP, Microsoft's termination of mainstream support for Windows 7 will not affect security updates. The operating system will be supported with these until January 14, 2020. You have stated that familiarity is important, yes? If familiarity is important then it would probably be best to stay with Windows 7.

• Like 3

As for Windows 10 - let them read this article. If they are OK with all the ##### Microsoft has been adding to Windows since Windows 8, then surely let 'em install Windows 10. Everyone else on Neowin will tell you that Windows 10 is the greatest OS in the world and you should install it right away. 3-2-1 ...

No bias here then...

As for Windows 10 - let them read this article. If they are OK with all the ##### Microsoft has been adding to Windows since Windows 8, then surely let 'em install Windows 10. Everyone else on Neowin will tell you that Windows 10 is the greatest OS in the world and you should install it right away. 3-2-1 ...

First line:

Windows 10 inappropriate and even outright dangerous for a lot of people

Outright dangerous? Lol... Lost all credit, I didn't even bother reading anything else, tab closed...

I would accept confusing, too much different from W7 (It's not, but ok).

But outright dangerous??? Wow....

• Like 2

A SSD and Windows 10 and it would feel like a new machine, regardless of age. 
I did that with my sisters laptop and hers is now a beast. Her laptop is a 7 year old ACER Aspire.

15 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

A friend of mine asks for his dad whether or not he should upgrade to Windows 10.

SItuation; a 7 years old notebook with Windows 7 installed (specs I don't know)

He is wondering if the ending mainstraim support is affecting security updates/patches. Plus, everything must kind of work the same as currently is...

Have not personally had issues running 10 on a Dell XPS 1530 from 2008. Windows 7, 8, and 10 have been excellent with maintaining speed on aging hardware.

Security updates for Windows 7 continue through the extended support phase. Non-security patches and fixes are discontinued.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows%207#gp/lifePolicy

Programs that you install (e.g. Office, browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Chrome, video players like VLC and MPC-HC) will work identically to how they do on Windows 7. Onboard programs may differ, some cosmetically, others more extensively. Therefore, if this person spends a lot of time playing Minesweeper or Solitaire, they should be aware that the app versions are somewhat different. There are some new features like Cortana and Task View in the taskbar, and he can decide to use them or hide them.

Depends. If you don't mind loss of functionality like no longer being able to set the pinned items to 60 etc, and loss of aesthetics, then the issue comes down to drivers.

I built my current system in 2012 and I've had massive DPC latency issues causing audio pops, clicks, and drop outs (minimized by using WASAPI exclusive mode, but still occurs) because the Intel drivers cause DPC latency spikes on older Intel network interfaces. Intel has not indicated any plans to release new drivers for this old hardware fixing the problem. 

I generally recommend mouse and keyboard users who don't care at all about touchscreens stay on Windows 7.  Especially if they are power users who hate when a developer deprecates advanced features and dumbs down extensive option panels to appease the typical end user who is too lazy to read documentation and expects developers to instead dumb everything down to please them. 

26 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

Depends. If you don't mind loss of functionality like no longer being able to set the pinned items to 60 etc, and loss of aesthetics, then the issue comes down to drivers.

I built my current system in 2012 and I've had massive DPC latency issues causing audio pops, clicks, and drop outs (minimized by using WASAPI exclusive mode, but still occurs) because the Intel drivers cause DPC latency spikes on older Intel network interfaces. Intel has not indicated any plans to release new drivers for this old hardware fixing the problem. 

I generally recommend mouse and keyboard users who don't care at all about touchscreens stay on Windows 7.  Especially if they are power users who hate when a developer deprecates advanced features and dumbs down extensive option panels to appease the typical end user who is too lazy to read documentation and expects developers to instead dumb everything down to please them. 

Aside from the issues with outdated drivers, the rest are just your personal opinions.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

Aside from the issues with outdated drivers, the rest are just your personal opinions.

Your point being what? That forums are not meant for opining? 

1 minute ago, DeusProto said:

Your point being what? That forums are not meant for opining? 

Answering the question at hand may be a valid suggestion rather than spouting your personal gripes

6 minutes ago, James035 said:

My opinion is to stay in Windows 7 , Windows 10 on an older PC is a compromise. Windows 10 loads and runs, but it’s pretty painful once you start to actually do anything.

I disagree as long as the drivers are there. Windows 10 is no more resource intensive than 7.

My parents have a lot of Dell laptops with Intel Core 2 Duo from 2007 that the company retired.

I've installed Windows 10 on a couple of them and sent them to my less fortunate cousins in the yellowhammer state.

Everything works except fingerprint readers.

Edited by illegaloperation

System requirements for Windows 10 are largely the same or less aggressive than Windows 7.  If the machine runs Windows 7 well, it probably will run Windows 10 well from a pure horse power point of view.

I am a big fan of Windows 10 (have it running on every Windows machine I own), but I am always cautious with slightly older laptops.  This is mainly is because driver/supporting application support for 'special' hardware ranges from incredibly poor to non-existent.  You may be able to live with it (I often can), but it does make the general experience of the laptop poorer - and not something I would do to Joe Average.

I've upgraded some machines, both new and old, and faced no issues. As long as you have driver support, I'd personally upgrade it. Once you've upgraded, you can reinstall Windows 10 whenever you want, and you can always roll back to 7 if 10 doesn't work for the person using it.