The time it takes to check for updates on clean installs of Vista and 7 is now simply Horrific.

Not sure if anyone has done it for a while, but the time it takes a clean install of Windows Vista SP2 or 7 Sp1 to check for updates is simply horrific. We are talking at least 2 hours. I started checking on this Vista install (7 is no better) at 12:29pm and  it's still checking for updates at 3:12pm. For some reason I think Windows 7 is even longer.

I think it's time they do for Vista and 7 what they did for XP when it had the dreaded SVCHOST 100% bug where checking for updates went from 1 min to an hour.

Edit : Just as I hit submit on this thread Vista finally Finished Checking for updates. So it took vista 2 hours and 14 mins

5 minutes ago, c.grz said:

Yeah, those are a P.I.T.A. I just slipstream patches to a USB install and be done with it.

Only reason i'm doing it is because i'm moving my syprep drives to a new computer. So i'm doing clean installs to SSD's. I keep SSD's with Vista Home Premium, Basic, Business, Windows 7 Home Premium and Pro. Every month I install the latest updates to 3rd party applications and windows on each of the SSD drives.

Then when I need to clean install I clone the install to another SSD, boot and sysprep that drive. Then activate using the Product key on the side of the machine, or on the board.  Turns clean installs into a 10 min process.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LaP said:

I did windows 7 not too long ago and it took me something like 3 or 4 hours or close to that.

To just check for updates? If you say yes, i'd believe it.

1 minute ago, DConnell said:

I wonder how long `til the conspiracy theorists claim this is to force people to Windows 10?

Dunno, but the one thing I do like about Windows 10 is their constant use of Cumulative updates.

• Like 2

You need to install this on fresh installs - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 and Vista - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=504

This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software. This tool checks your computer for such inconsistencies and tries to resolve issues if found.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Why on clean installs? Its not that the updates don't install properly, it just takes a long time to check for all 205 of them.

When it said "This tool is being offered" ... means that when The system readiness tools is being offered via Windows updates, means it detected corruption and wants to fix it.

1 minute ago, francescob said:

Are you sure you didn't install Office or enabled Microsoft Update?

LOL .... Nope neither of those. As I recall though that only brought XP to it's knee's Not Vista or 7.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

LOL .... Nope neither of those. As I recall though that only brought XP to it's knee's Not Vista or 7.

It brings down any version because it scans for every MSI / MSP file you have (just checking the registry was too mainstream). Anyway you can use WSUS offline to have most updates ready to install.

Yeah I have been noticing that a clean install to get the initial update list I have to let the darn thing sit for almost an hour now running at 100% of a single core usage before it does anything.... annoying as heck... they obviously did this on purpose why would this just start happening recently

installed two new windows 7 home premium systems in the past three months both them took FOREVER to get updated

14 minutes ago, neufuse said:

Yeah I have been noticing that a clean install to get the initial update list I have to let the darn thing sit for almost an hour now running at 100% of a single core usage before it does anything.... annoying as heck... they obviously did this on purpose why would this just start happening recently

installed two new windows 7 home premium systems in the past three months both them took FOREVER to get updated

I think it has more to do that when you cross over X number of updates. I think in XP's case they went back and removed some old IE updates that were there but no longer needed, or something. After shorting how many updates it had to scan  for the issue went away.

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

Only reason i'm doing it is because i'm moving my syprep drives to a new computer. So i'm doing clean installs to SSD's. I keep SSD's with Vista Home Premium, Basic, Business, Windows 7 Home Premium and Pro. Every month I install the latest updates to 3rd party applications and windows on each of the SSD drives.

Then when I need to clean install I clone the install to another SSD, boot and sysprep that drive. Then activate using the Product key on the side of the machine, or on the board.  Turns clean installs into a 10 min process.

If you're doing this, why don't you just run a PXE server?

Sounds like a lot of work... 

PXE (SCCM + WSUS) = You'll be laughing. 

No, the Office thing only applies to XP. But why, why, would you expect Vista updates to register as fast as, say Win 8.1?

Look, I liked Vista. I bought this machine in 2009. It was sold with Vista on it. The machine was a monster for it's time. Vista was not XP, and  I was glad for that. I loved Vista. It ran great on this machine for like a year.

But Vista was a long time ago. With hundreds of millions of different Microsoft systems looking for updates today, I hope you and your Vista machine are waiting for me. You should wait for me. Besides, why don't you download the ISO of the updates, and you won't need to worry about Windows Update?

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

There is a fix for this problem with slowness and high cpu usage. I'll post the url once I find it. 

I believe this was it, although the issues it addresses are for slightly different scenarios. I put Windows 7 back on my wife's laptop recently and was stuck scanning for updates. Installing this fixed it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810