The time it takes to check for updates on clean installs of Vista and 7 is now simply Horrific.

13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I never said it was a new standalone client. However it updates part of the client. 

I thought you meant that with "WU software". It is distributed like an update though (previous WU client updates were CAB files).

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I've used the update several times and got my updates within minutes on a clean install. 

As I said it depends on the machine (5 minutes on a i7-6700K could be a lot more on a slower mobile processor) and if Office or other applications that update through WU/MU are present.

11 minutes ago, Jared- said:

And Server 2003 was still supported until last year - were you one of the people who suggested to keep running it up until the deadline? LOL

No.

19 hours ago, Jared- said:

And Server 2003 was still supported until last year - were you one of the people who suggested to keep running it up until the deadline? LOL

The differences between those two are: one is more secure & can still run most modern third party desktop software made today, while the other cannot & is less secure.

I can confirm that https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Does resolve the issue. Just make sure you turn the internet off before you run it other wise I swear it tries to check for updates before it installs it. After installing that update and rebooting, I told it to check for updates on the new install, and it took less than 5 mins to find all 280 updates.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I can confirm that https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Does resolve the issue. Just make sure you turn the internet off before you run it other wise I swear it tries to check for updates before it installs it. After installing that update and rebooting, I told it to check for updates on the new install, and it took less than 5 mins to find all 280 updates.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting ready to do a clean install of Windows 7 for a neighbor who purchased a new machine over the holiday's. This gives me some peace of mind.

3 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting ready to do a clean install of Windows 7 for a neighbor who purchased a new machine over the holiday's. This gives me some peace of mind.

Yep just remember install dotnet framework 4.5.2, Internet Explorer 11 ... then reboot then go hog wild :D

9 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yep just remember install dotnet framework 4.5.2, Internet Explorer 11 ... then reboot then go hog wild :D

Is Framework 4.5.2 a requirement before the install? Or is the patch all that's necessary?

2 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Is Framework 4.5.2 a requirement before the install? Or is the patch all that's necessary?

I'm going to quote myself

Download and install the offline installers of Dot Net Frame Work 4.5.2. and Internet Explorer 11. Install 4.5.2 before IE 11. Other wise 4.5.2 will refuse to install until you restart to finish the IE11 install.

For Vista Sp2 Install Dot Net Framework 4.5.2 and Internet Explorer 9.

Once those 2 updates are done now check for updates with Windows update.

What would happen if you didn't install those 2 updates first is after the first 200 updates you would reboot and then it would have to install all the updates for IE11. After all the other updates are done it would give you Dot Net Frame work 4.5.2. Then the next time you check for updates it would give you all the updates for that. Then when you reboot it would give you a few more updates.

If you Install Dotnet Framework 4.5.2 and IE11before your first check for updates, it installs all the updates for IE11 and Dotnet Framework 4.5.2 on the 1st batch of updates. On the 2nd batch / check there are only a few updates left and you are done

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Download and install the offline installers of Dot Net Frame Work 4.5.2. and Internet Explorer 11. Install 4.5.2 before IE 11. Other wise 4.5.2 will refuse to install until you restart to finish the IE11 install.

What would happen if you didn't install those 2 updates first is after the first 200 updates you would reboot and then it would have to install all the updates for IE11. After all the other updates are done it would give you Dot Net Frame work 4.5.2. Then the next time you check for updates it would give you all the updates for that. Then when you reboot it would give you a few more updates.

If you Install Dotnet Framework 4.5.2 and IE11before your first check for updates, it installs all the updates for IE11 and Dotnet Framework 4.5.2 on the 1st batch of updates. On the 2nd batch / check there are only a few updates left and you are done

Got it! Much appreciated.:)

FWIW,

Just checking for updates even on a totally already up to date computer has gotten to be a TOTAL PITA! 40+ minutes on both the machines I've updated today, just for this months updates!! Granted, the machine I'm on now is my wife's total POS but the other one I updated is a very decent machine. Getting very fed up with this crap too. A couple of my machines took an hour and 40+ minutes just to check for updates last month.

I can do a totally clean install AND update of Linux on any of my machines before windows update finishes checking for updates.

On 12/23/2015 at 5:47 AM, adrynalyne said:

I believe this was it, although the issues it addresses are for slightly different scenarios. I put Windows 7 back on my wife's laptop recently and was stuck scanning for updates. Installing this fixed it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Thanks! This patch works perfect for me, testing on an old laptop from 2007 (T7250, 2GB RAM) with a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 it takes 5-6 hours to search for updates, but with that patch it takes less than 5 minutes.

On 13/01/2016 at 5:33 PM, warwagon said:

.NET 4.6 has been out for some time now. If you install this first you won't have to install 4.5.2 & associated updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48137 .NET 4.6.0 installer

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982 .NET 4.6.1 installer

You should obviously go straight to 4.6.1 on clean installs, doesn't seem that 4.6.1 is available for Vista but the installer might just work anyway, I haven't tested it.

On 12/22/2015 at 9:20 PM, warwagon said:

Only reason i'm doing it is because i'm moving my syprep drives to a new computer. So i'm doing clean installs to SSD's. I keep SSD's with Vista Home Premium, Basic, Business, Windows 7 Home Premium and Pro. Every month I install the latest updates to 3rd party applications and windows on each of the SSD drives.

Then when I need to clean install I clone the install to another SSD, boot and sysprep that drive. Then activate using the Product key on the side of the machine, or on the board.  Turns clean installs into a 10 min process.

hehehe nicely done mate, i so couldnt be bothered these days :) but im not doing freelance anymore, corp and family only :) 

On 1/13/2016 at 11:49 AM, cork1958 said:

FWIW,

Just checking for updates even on a totally already up to date computer has gotten to be a TOTAL PITA! 40+ minutes on both the machines I've updated today, just for this months updates!! Granted, the machine I'm on now is my wife's total POS but the other one I updated is a very decent machine. Getting very fed up with this crap too. A couple of my machines took an hour and 40+ minutes just to check for updates last month.

I can do a totally clean install AND update of Linux on any of my machines before windows update finishes checking for updates.

I've noticed on my Vista computer, which is up to date, it takes a good while for it to check for updates on patch Tuesday....probably around ~30 minutes.  Haven't experienced any issues on my Win7 computers or 10.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed on a few of my machines and customers machines that even have the kb3102810 update installed, its still taking a VERY long time to check for updates. This customers machine behind me has been checking for over 30 mins

9 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I've noticed on a few of my machines and customers machines that even have the kb3102810 update installed, its still taking a VERY long time to check for updates. This customers machine behind me has been checking for over 30 mins

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Ive used that to download and built a bootable windows 7 All in one stick with x86 and x64 with its downloads in as "extras" folder (8Gb is plenty) to keep it up to date just periodically delete extras and rerun the program to get latest patches again.

Id happily knock up a guide if you like over the weekend. only cost to the project is the 8Gb usb stick :) or you could go dvd way itll fit on a 4.7Gbr without the "extras"

saves a lot of time :) but because nlite merges the x86 and x64 media ive not chanced trying to slipstream them into it, its mostly x64 i use media for so not ideal oh and 64 bit recovery mode doesnt work but x86 does, but its easy resolved to have x64 mode operating from the stick.

Edited by Mando

2 hours ago, Mando said:

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Ive used that to download and built a bootable windows 7 All in one stick with x86 and x64 with its downloads in as "extras" folder (8Gb is plenty) to keep it up to date just periodically delete extras and rerun the program to get latest patches again.

Id happily knock up a guide if you like over the weekend. only cost to the project is the 8Gb usb stick :) or you could go dvd way itll fit on a 4.7Gbr without the "extras"

saves a lot of time :) but because nlite merges the x86 and x64 media ive not chanced trying to slipstream them into it, its mostly x64 i use media for so not ideal oh and 64 bit recovery mode doesnt work but x86 does, but its easy resolved to have x64 mode operating from the stick.

Looks like the update lists haven't been updated since 2015

Yeah I always try to avoid third party solutions for things like updates.

It's worth mentioning that I've noticed a lot of people are installing the long list of updates on clean Windows 7/8.1 installs to upgrade to 10. It's much easier to just install Windows 7/8.1 make sure it's activated then use the Windows 10 upgrade tool, it'll save a lot of time & bandwidth.

2 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Yeah I always try to avoid third party solutions for things like updates.

It's worth mentioning that I've noticed a lot of people are installing the long list of updates on clean Windows 7/8.1 installs to upgrade to 10. It's much easier to just install Windows 7/8.1 make sure it's activated then use the Windows 10 upgrade tool, it'll save a lot of time & bandwidth.

No, actually its MUCH easier to just not even install 7/8.1 and do a clean install of Windows 10 using your Windows 7/8.1 key ;)

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

No, actually its MUCH easier to just not even install 7/8.1 and do a clean install of Windows 10 using your Windows 7/8.1 key ;)

Of course, but I haven't actually tested this myself, so I didn't want to recommend it without knowing that it'll work.

30 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Of course, but I haven't actually tested this myself, so I didn't want to recommend it without knowing that it'll work.

yep, been a viable clean install path for the last 2-3 builds iirc :) i did it last time installing via a Win 7 pro key on a clean install via media toolkit, works a treat. A prereq is you have to allready have upgraded for digital entitlement first ofc on the hardware, but a old fashioned reformat after that with bootable media and your 7 key now works.

17 hours ago, warwagon said:

Looks like the update lists haven't been updated since 2015

yer? dang :( at least ,net and ie11 etc in the extras saves a good bit of time at least. But yer you would still have the same issues with the last slew of patches :( sorry i didnt notice the age of the items :(

31 minutes ago, Mando said:

yep, been a viable clean install path for the last 2-3 builds iirc :) i did it last time installing via a Win 7 pro key on a clean install via media toolkit, works a treat. A prereq is you have to allready have upgraded for digital entitlement first ofc on the hardware, but a old fashioned reformat after that with bootable media and your 7 key now works.

Actually You can actually clean install Windows 10 on a Windows 7/8.1 machine without that machine ever having Windows 10 on it before using the product key.

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

I would probably suggest for anyone who wishes to stay Windows 7 that they, if they have the resources to create a local server, to download every possible update and have it available for future reinstalls. Lord knows things happen. 

kind of your own updates server without MS in the loop. its getting fast to becoming a blackart to keep Windows 7 and have a load of 7 updates and hopefully set aside a directory just for all the updates. Can you point your 7 install to your local server at home to receive the updates theoretically? or if you know programming, probably create a spoof app to make your Windows 7 machine think its a MS update server. I don't know, just trying to brain storm here..