Jet fuel can't melt steel. (But it sure can weaken it)

mudslag
7 hours ago, monkeylove said:

Video evidence is not enough. In this case, there was a lot of physical evidence that could have been gathered and analyzed carefully. But because much of the evidence was sent to salvage yards, then there was no choice but to refer to videos.

It's not a matter of examining each scrap but gathering as much as possible and examining as many as possible. The evidence can even be kept in storage for years, allowing for more time for the investigation. In this case, only a few weeks were spent examining the physical evidence. Out of 350,000 metric tons of steel debris, only around 150 pieces were selected and kept. You will see more details in the report linked earlier.

Given that, what failed was a proper investigation.

Im simply stating that video evidence is evidence in itself, as you said there was only one way to prove, which is not a true statement. It's easy for armchair investigators to make claims about 9/11, but unless you're an expert in the needed fields you can't possibly know that 150 pieces were not substantial enough to add to the pile of evidence that formed the conclusion that pancaking is what happened. My guess is you can't put a number on how many would be suffice and if they had used 500, 1000 or more you'ed still find a reason to deny the results. 

HawkMan

Well there's always this thing called physics...

monkeylove
On 3/5/2016 at 4:01 PM, mudslag said:

Im simply stating that video evidence is evidence in itself, as you said there was only one way to prove, which is not a true statement. It's easy for armchair investigators to make claims about 9/11, but unless you're an expert in the needed fields you can't possibly know that 150 pieces were not substantial enough to add to the pile of evidence that formed the conclusion that pancaking is what happened. My guess is you can't put a number on how many would be suffice and if they had used 500, 1000 or more you'ed still find a reason to deny the results. 

For me, armchair investigators will settle for video evidence. Experts will gather as much evidence as possible, especially physical evidence. That's especially important in events involving fire coupled with air crashes and a crime scene.

The only way to find out whether or not 150 pieces of steel debris is substantial enough is to spend time going through the debris, and at least keep the debris in storage. Unfortunately, according to the report most of the debris was destroyed after only a few months, and that for an investigation that spanned years.

monkeylove
On 3/5/2016 at 4:03 PM, HawkMan said:

Well there's always this thing called physics...

Also, structural analysis, chemical analysis, etc., all of which involve documenting and analyzing physical evidence.

What happened was that only around a hundred or so engineers went through over 350,000 tons of steel debris and selected only around 150 pieces. After around two months, much of it was sold off as scrap.

At the very least, the debris should have been kept at the four salvage yards for further investigation. That would have been logical given the fact that the investigation of the issue took many more months.

Also, not just engineers but fire investigators and many other experts should have been included in the documentation and analysis of the debris. After all, the issue involved a major crime scene with several aircraft and building crashes.

Jim K

Bring up your questions to the NIST.  http://www.nist.gov/el/disasterstudies/wtc/faqs_wtctowers.cfm

You obviously have an agenda ... and I'm sorry ... but this particular "conspiracy" is just getting old now.  Same crud getting regurgitated over and over.

Simply put - Planes hit the WTC.  Fire ensued.  Fire weakened steel.  Weakened steel + damaged structure + weight = collapse.  The end.

No way did the government have a hand in the actual destruction of the towers.  You have to consider the sheer number of people that would have been involved.  Hell, the President can not even get a BJ from an intern without the whole world knowing it.

• Like 4

T3X4S

I just love these threads... reminds me how much more logical and educated I am compared to most... but that isnt very good for "most" - as I am a complete moron.

• Like 1

Pishaw

How did AM radio spill onto the internet? We are still talking about this?

Look, if you hate the country enough to pretend that it's the X Files, then please feel free to leave. There is no fence yet. There are planes leaving every minute. Just go. Bosnia, Africa, Russia, they are ALL better than the United States, right? Leave! Go right now!

The Bush administration was so incompetent that every time they ordered pizza 12 people called the NY Times from the White House. Yet you would have me believe they pulled off this grand conspiracy? I'm not that dumb. Bush couldn't even speak english, FFS.

• Like 1

T3X4S
8 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Bring up your questions to the NIST.  http://www.nist.gov/el/disasterstudies/wtc/faqs_wtctowers.cfm

You obviously have an agenda ... and I'm sorry ... but this particular "conspiracy" is just getting old now.  Same crud getting regurgitated over and over.

Simply put - Planes hit the WTC.  Fire ensued.  Fire weakened steel.  Weakened steel + damaged structure + weight = collapse.  The end.

No way did the government have a hand in the actual destruction of the towers.  You have to consider the sheer number of people that would have been involved.  Hell, the President can not even get a BJ from an intern without the whole world knowing it.

EXACTLY !

The more people in on a big secret, the greater the odds of that secret getting out.  Think of all the things that are fodder for the tin foil hat groups.  Sandy Hook, WTC, some global economy, the Illuminati, reptilian aliens, Roswell, etc..     yet - people try to connect dots where there is no connection, make assumptions, be completely void of facts, logic, physics, etc. - then you add the herd mentality - and the BS grows an order of magnitude.

And people refuse to believe otherwise.  They want it to be true - it gives them purpose, and answers questions.

There is another topic where this phenomena takes place... its called religion.

• Like 2

mudslag
2 hours ago, monkeylove said:

For me, armchair investigators will settle for video evidence. Experts will gather as much evidence as possible, especially physical evidence. That's especially important in events involving fire coupled with air crashes and a crime scene.

The only way to find out whether or not 150 pieces of steel debris is substantial enough is to spend time going through the debris, and at least keep the debris in storage. Unfortunately, according to the report most of the debris was destroyed after only a few months, and that for an investigation that spanned years.

So basically what you're saying is you don't know if 150 pieces is acceptable or not but given your armchair analysis it's not. Essentially you have no clue. 

monkeylove
21 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Ironically, No. 23 from the source you gave proves my argument. 236 pieces out of more than 350,000 tons of debris, with only a couple of hundred going over them in less than two months, for an investigation that ended up spanning much longer than that? No wonder investigators had to resort to videos and simulations!

Given that, the only thing that's getting "old" is the claim that a proper investigation actually took place.

monkeylove
21 hours ago, T3X4S said:

EXACTLY !

The more people in on a big secret, the greater the odds of that secret getting out.  Think of all the things that are fodder for the tin foil hat groups.  Sandy Hook, WTC, some global economy, the Illuminati, reptilian aliens, Roswell, etc..     yet - people try to connect dots where there is no connection, make assumptions, be completely void of facts, logic, physics, etc. - then you add the herd mentality - and the BS grows an order of magnitude.

And people refuse to believe otherwise.  They want it to be true - it gives them purpose, and answers questions.

There is another topic where this phenomena takes place... its called religion.

The problem isn't "herd mentality" or conspiracy. It's the fact that much of the physical evidence was not examined properly and destroyed hastily for no reason at all. The irony is that this was confirmed by two government organizations that were part of the investigation!

monkeylove
20 hours ago, mudslag said:

So basically what you're saying is you don't know if 150 pieces is acceptable or not but given your armchair analysis it's not. Essentially you have no clue. 

My argument is not based on "armchair analysis" but common sense: the only way to determine whether or not 150 (or is it 236?) pieces are "acceptable" is to compare them to the others. But that was no longer possible throughout much of the investigation period because all of the evidence was destroyed after only two months!

At the very least, they could have kept the evidence in storage (in four yards) for a much longer period of time, and brought in more experts to examine them.

Given that, it's not that I have "no clue" about this. It's that no one has a clue, as the physical evidence would have been helpful in proving or disproving any claims made about the event.

Astra.Xtreme

Errr... if you find a small piece of burned paper in a fire place, does it mean that the government covered up some conspiracy?  Uh no, it means that somebody threw some paper in the fire.  Just because only a small fragment remained, doesn't make it any less true that it was thrown in the fire.  That's just elementary logic...

Examining something over and over, and hoping for different results, is the definition of insanity.

• Like 1

trag3dy
18 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Errr... if you find a small piece of burned paper in a fire place, does it mean that the government covered up some conspiracy?  Uh no, it means that somebody threw some paper in the fire.  Just because only a small fragment remained, doesn't make it any less true that it was thrown in the fire.  That's just elementary logic...

Examining something over and over, and hoping for different results, is the definition of insanity.

FWIW that's not actually the definition of insanity. I realize this is off topic but it bugs me that this has become a thing people keep repeating since Far Cry 3.

Also FWIW, examining something over and over and looking for different results is scientific theory. Not that I agree with monkeylove that you couldn't make a sufficient conclusion from 150 different pieces of steel.

Ian W
22 hours ago, T3X4S said:

EXACTLY !

The more people in on a big secret, the greater the odds of that secret getting out.

That is what they want you to think.

• Like 2

Emn1ty
1 hour ago, monkeylove said:

My argument is not based on "armchair analysis" but common sense: the only way to determine whether or not 150 (or is it 236?) pieces are "acceptable" is to compare them to the others. But that was no longer possible throughout much of the investigation period because all of the evidence was destroyed after only two months!

At the very least, they could have kept the evidence in storage (in four yards) for a much longer period of time, and brought in more experts to examine them.

Given that, it's not that I have "no clue" about this. It's that no one has a clue, as the physical evidence would have been helpful in proving or disproving any claims made about the event.

This all operates under the assumption that these pieces weren't analyzed thoroughly and that somehow storing them for longer than they were stored would have been helpful in any way. How would keeping the evidence longer change things? How would more experts examining them have changed things? Can you demonstrate any other reasons to do these things other than a lack of trust in the original investigation of these items?

It seems odd to me that you somehow think that just because the evidence wasn't kept for your arbitrarily selected period of time (evidence that probably wasn't easy or even cheap to store for long periods of time in the first place) that it's subject to suspicion.

The problem here, with this line of thought, is that you have declared the evidence at present insufficient and there's no real way to prove to you that it is sufficient because you've already made up your mind that it's not, regardless of what "evidence" is provided. This is why conspiracy theories are worthless, because they are based entirely on rationalization and narrative, not evidence. In fact, a lack of evidence generally propels them further into their own narratives.

This is on the same level as geo-engineering, aliens, etc. No matter what you provide to the contrary, the narrative has already accounted for that. It's an impenetrable wall of contingency theories that address every possible angle.

chrisj1968

Steel melts at like 2,000-2,500 degrees and there is NO way jet fuel can reach that temperature.

burning2-web.jpg

A thermite reaction generates yellow-white hot molten iron at well over 2500°C/4000°F and white smoke. This type of material can melt and cut steel beams.

more about Thermite cutting through a safe

Found at ground zero in NY

Edited by chrisj1968

mudslag

Unless you can show us that you are in fact an expert on the matters then yes you're making an "armchair analysis". You're denying the work of others but ignoring to show your own work as to why other's are wrong. Saying your view is common sense based is not a supported view. Show with actual work why the number of pieces used is inadequate to support the base view, then you can start talking about others being wrong. Til then your you're offering nothing more then an armchair analysis. 

FYI from the very link you posted on page 4....

Future studies are expected based on the pieces and data collected. Coupons have been collected for metallurgical tests to determine the temperatures to which they were subjected and their steel characteristics. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is currently conducting environmental tests, abating asbestos as necessary, and shipping available pieces to its Gaithersburg, MD, facility for storage and further study. As of May 2002, a total of 41 steel pieces had been shipped to NIST. 

And yes people have a clue, you just don't like where the clues lead so you're in denial of what's presented. 

mudslag
14 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Steel melts at like 2,000-2,500 degrees and there is NO way jet fuel can reach that temperature.

burning2-web.jpg

A thermite reaction generates yellow-white hot molten iron at well over 2500°C/4000°F and white smoke. This type of material can melt and cut steel beams.

more about Thermite cutting through a safe

Found at ground zero in NY

The argument isn't that the steel beams melted, it's that they were weakened by the fires. 

chrisj1968
13 minutes ago, mudslag said:

The argument isn't that the steel beams melted, it's that they were weakened by the fires. 

my contention is, NO tower EVER worldwide EVER collapsed due to fire damaging the steel. However Thermite or thermate with sulfur CAN burn through steel up to 4,000 degrees F fuel is only in the low 1,000-1,500 range maybe less maybe a little more but nowhere near enough to melt the beams.

chrisj1968

J_R_G
  • Government officials were made aware of a terrorist plot several months prior to the attacks but never acted on it. Condoleezza Rice is on record stating this.

This is the one that kills me. You can tell it's total irrational hatred at this point. Bush is both guilty of an insider plot to blow up the WTC towers (with explosives), and guilty of allowing terrorists to do so (with planes). :rolleyes:

• Like 1

mudslag
3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

my contention is, NO tower EVER worldwide EVER collapsed due to fire damaging the steel. However Thermite or thermate with sulfur CAN burn through steel up to 4,000 degrees F fuel is only in the low 1,000-1,500 range maybe less maybe a little more but nowhere near enough to melt the beams.

No tower anywhere in the world was hit in the manner that the WTC ones were, your contention is moot. There is only one other case of something even remotely happening and even then it still didn't cause even close to the same amount of damage that happened on 9/11. That was a B-25 striking Empire State Building in 1945. It wasn't flying at full speed, it didn't damage the main support structure of the building, it wasn't fully loaded with fuel and the fires didn't rage out of control like it did in WTC. It also wasn't flown into the building with intent to cause damage. 

Again you keep saying the steel beams melted but wasn't the case in WTC, they were weakened, which is all that was needed for the upper floors weight to not be supported. Hence the upper floors came down causing the pancaking effect on the rest of the building. Sorry but your argument has failed to live up to reality. 

Edited by mudslag
  • Like 3

FloatingFatMan
2 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

OK, so you're making a positive claim here; you know what's next.

Prove it.

HawkMan
4 hours ago, monkeylove said:

Ironically, No. 23 from the source you gave proves my argument. 236 pieces out of more than 350,000 tons of debris, with only a couple of hundred going over them in less than two months, for an investigation that ended up spanning much longer than that? No wonder investigators had to resort to videos and simulations!

Given that, the only thing that's getting "old" is the claim that a proper investigation actually took place.

Videos and simulations tell you more than twisted steel can, and they only needed a very smll cross section of steel to tell them everything, namely the steel from the floors the plane crashed. they just needed to see if the steel had been heated enough to change characteristic and become soft. 

seriously.... 

fisix be hard