Show Us Your Battlestations - 2016 Edition

7 hours ago, virtorio said:

Everyone is so tidy. Everywhere that I have a computer looks like, and is, a nightmare.

I wouldn't consider myself a neat-freak or anything, but I cannot handle crap on my desk.

• 1 month later...

r4dgTgA.jpg

BCRCsuR.jpg

Finally got a PC worth posting on here.  I had the unit for a while but finally decided to work on cable management and cooling.  There's 4 fans in the case and they are very quiet and the cooling in amazing.  My stock i5-4670k runs at 28C.

19 hours ago, ctebah said:

My stock i5-4670k

Why bother with a K if you aren't OC'ing it?

Cool set up, but having the case's rear next to me like that would be super annoying for me. But, to each their own.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, compl3x said:

Why bother with a K if you aren't OC'ing it?

Cool set up, but having the case's rear next to me like that would be super annoying for me. But, to each their own.

I think eventually I will be overclocking it but I'll have to upgrade my PSU.  The rear fans are very quiet, I can barely hear them.  I'd love to be able to put the case elsewhere but the damn thing is too huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo ThinkStation S10 running Windows 10.

Has a Core 2 Extreme-3GhZ, 4GB PC3-8500 RAM & Inno3D nVIDIA GTS250 graphics. (not the latest and greatest, but still quick).

This Lenovo PC's interior is very easy to work on with many components  tooless.

Bought it off eBay for $100.

IMGP0714 (Medium).JPG

IMGP0729 (Medium).JPG

On 6 April 2016 at 2:58 AM, ctebah said:

r4dgTgA.jpg

BCRCsuR.jpg

Finally got a PC worth posting on here.  I had the unit for a while but finally decided to work on cable management and cooling.  There's 4 fans in the case and they are very quiet and the cooling in amazing.  My stock i5-4670k runs at 28C.

Sweet setup! Love the case!

Am a fan of Corsair components-especially their RAM and power supplies.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that nice, clean setup - then you commit cardinal sin #2 the $3.00 power strip... because... you know - its not really important..... :/

(cardinal sin #1 is buying a $30 generic PSU... because ... you know - its not really important.)

57 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

J(cardinal sin #1 is buying a $30 generic PSU... because ... you know - its not really important.)

Are you talking about the Corsair (because it isn't)...or the one that came with the Lenovo Thinkstation?  Sorry ... just confused and trying to figure which PSU you're talking about. :)

Edit:  Holy crud .. a refurbished Corsair TX650w PSU is going for $1998.75.  :woot:

http://www.aztekcomputers.com/CMPSU650TX-CORSAIR-763463.html

Edited by jjkusaf
Corsair find

Out with the old Lian-Li PC-A10B bought back in 2007 for 230 bucks.  Loved this case (it had three different systems in it)... but time for a change.  

In with a newer/cheaper Fractal Design R5

wu0kxdE.jpg

Interior of the Lian-Li before I removed everything...bad cable management and PSU mounting in this case.  Worked fine for older PSU's which had a fan mounted in the rear...but not the newer PSU's with fans on the bottom.  I just recently replaced my old PC Power Power & Cooling (also bought in '07) with the Seasonic.  The old PSU was still going strong ... I was just being proactive and replacing it before it potentially failed.  Those were two of the main reasons I retired the case.

86d2YKJ.jpg

...everything placed into the new Fractal Design case...smaller case but seems much roomier.  

avb8MHa.jpg

case closed...and ready to go....

Ii5Iy45.jpg

Monitors / Computer / old computer desk (which I received from my Grandpa back in the 80's...whatever...I like it).

TFHVQdL.jpg

Squirrel! 

Z5KolhZ.jpg

DLPNu7W.jpg

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

Are you talking about the Corsair (because it isn't)...or the one that came with the Lenovo Thinkstation?  Sorry ... just confused and trying to figure which PSU you're talking about. :)

Edit:  Holy crud .. a refurbished Corsair TX650w PSU is going for $1998.75.  :woot:

http://www.aztekcomputers.com/CMPSU650TX-CORSAIR-763463.html

No i was referring to the pic with the nice black corner desk, the nice little monitor, the nice PC - all clean and perfect - trying to give that "i pay attention to the details" look - but on the floor - a $3.00 power strip.

As far as the PSU comment - I was referring to n00b mistakes in general.

Like "check ouy my build specs " - they have all decent stuff then throw in a $30 chinese made PSU because "why should I spend money on that ?  Doesnt make anything faster!"

Not that anyone did it in this thread - just a bad oversight by people who dont know any better.  

Normally they they learn the lesson only after its too late  :

PSU stars causing slow downs, starts crashing games, then when it does give up the ghost - it takes that nice $300 mobo with it
Or - $1500 worth of gaming equipment all connected to a $3.00 power strip, or "surge suppresor"

Thats all I was eluding to, being a bit of a PC snob - but I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it - I was just teasing.   (even though I want to kill him - :)  )

@jjkusaf
Jesus - How did you keep that so clean ?   Looks like you could eat off of it

Ya know, occasionally I will see a site selling a common piece of equipment with an absolutely ridiculous price.  One time I was looking for a certain fan/heatsink for a ThinkPad I was repairing and was talking to a site owner about his inventory and asked about some of the prices

($600 for a mouse, $95 for a can of compressed air)  He said sometimes small biz online merchants will use the "freebie" automated pricing algorithms and only know of all the issues when they are pointed out - (he had no idea it was causing some generic $4.00 mouse to cost 500x more)

I think it might have to do with checking the item against known marketplace inventories.  Then if the item in question isnt found elsewhere - the algorithm gives it a rare/valuable status - and the price metrics go wacky.   This is a complete guess as I know nothing about the stuff - I just tried to imagine a situation where an automation could get the wrong impression ... (Yes, I was bored)

9 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

@jjkusaf
Jesus - How did you keep that so clean ?   Looks like you could eat off of it

Which one? The Lian-Li was a finger print magnet...but I regularly vacuum it (with a computer vacuum...haha). The Fractal was just like a "new" build...so I cleaned everything before installing.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Premgenius said:

@Jonny Wright curious about the second picture, what is that? what are the specs?

Its an intel NUC w/ some nice RAM and a crazy bad ass 950Pro

Aside from heavy grfx stuff - that little thing would be fast at whatever you threw at it - 

Never heard of an NUC :huh: will have a read on this further, think this might be a perfect fit for and old desktop a elderly family uses just for the basic day to day use. Thanks for the responses.

13 hours ago, Premgenius said:

Never heard of an NUC :huh: will have a read on this further, think this might be a perfect fit for and old desktop a elderly family uses just for the basic day to day use. Thanks for the responses.

If you are looking for something even more basic & cheaper, you can look into Intel's Compute Stick, I think they recently released version 2. Or InFocus Kangaroo.

• 1 month later...