• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10: Windows store broken.

chrisj1968    1,417

I've researched ad nauseum on the internet about fixing a broken windows store on this laptop. one day it simply broke and wouldn't download or update ANYTHING.

I tried the Run: wsreset.exe and a few powershell commands to fix the windows store.

I've gotten to the point that, I'm tired of this mess and have given up but if someone who's well versed with Windows 10 could create a "how to" guide and have it pinned to the forums for future people to refer to and fix their windows store.

Perhaps the mods could create a forum off of windows support with a sub forum with guides on how to's to fix common or rarer windows 10 issues.

thanks and happy new year!

Chrisj1968

Jared-    575

....What's wrong with your store?

Which Powershell commands did you run? 

chrisj1968    1,417
2 hours ago, Jared- said:

I apologize it was cmd as admin the command:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

then after it finished, you're supposed to reboot your system. but i get nothing still.

this is what I get with the powershell command

1zq4wew.png

Edited by chrisj1968

Jared-    575

That's a Powershell command - why are you running in a command prompt, and not in a Powershell session? 

All that does is look at the store files on your local system and re-load them. Your store apps are probably borked, like mine.

I'm just waiting for the next update that slaps a new copy of them on. 

chrisj1968    1,417
2 hours ago, Jared- said:

I apologize it was cmd as admin the command:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

then after it finished, you're supposed to reboot your system. but i get nothing still.

Any idea when a update that'll hopefully fix it will arrive? thaks for letting me know the store is broken. MS could have had a better tool to fix this but I don't use the store much but nie to have everything functioning as they should

• Like 1

Jared-    575

The store isn't broken, it's your system, as in corrupt files lol.

TAZMINATOR    12,416

Pull up Powershell app as admin.. and run that powershell code and see what happens...

See example here where you see red box as mentioned below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/30520d1254813639-windows-powershell-start_menu.jpg

• Like 1

Anibal P    2,055

Firstly, what if anything have you disabled for "security" reasons? 

Just checked and mine works, I have not disabled anything

• Like 1

Jared-    575

I prob have the same problem as OP -

FiRLCSE.jpgBeLpbtW.jpg

It's something that's happened from the upgrades of Windows, no doubt something was borked on my system before the upgrade and I didn't pick it up. Either way, I suspect when MS push out the next build of Windows it'll refresh these packages. I ran that powershell cmdlet ^^ with a few extra tweaks awhile back, and it borked things even more.

I'm not fussed, web calculator works fine. WINDOWS 10 BROKE MY CALCULATOR!!!!!! waaaahhhhhhh. 

Circaflex    3,515

have you tried using dsim and sfc to fix the corrupt files?

• Like 1

TAZMINATOR    12,416

If nothing works, then I suggest that you reset your Windows 10.

This will reset as fresh windows 10 installation and will not lose your data.

Then go to the store and see if you get any app updates. Broken apps will be removed like the ones Jared's screenshot above.

• Like 1

Jared-    575

Yeah tried running sfc, throws up some error, which paraphrasing says - Jared your system is borked, reinstall Windows at some stage.

I was like ummmm no thanks, continued to jam out to MP3s. 

chrisj1968    1,417
17 hours ago, Jared- said:

I prob have the same problem as OP -

FiRLCSE.jpgBeLpbtW.jpg

It's something that's happened from the upgrades of Windows, no doubt something was borked on my system before the upgrade and I didn't pick it up. Either way, I suspect when MS push out the next build of Windows it'll refresh these packages. I ran that powershell cmdlet ^^ with a few extra tweaks awhile back, and it borked things even more.

I'm not fussed, web calculator works fine. WINDOWS 10 BROKE MY CALCULATOR!!!!!! waaaahhhhhhh. 

mine looks exactly similar!

xendrome    5,289

Yeah BTW that PowerShell script that is all over the internet doesn't work properly on RTM, It will just break every store app installed and fix nothing. Leaving you in worse trouble then before.

Can you roll back a system restore point otherwise you are going to have to do a PC refresh.

Jared-    575
2 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

mine looks exactly similar!

"Exactly Similar" LOL! 

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,515

If you don't want to reset everything OP use dsim and then sfc to fix it I just helped a friend with it today who had similar issues