Dumped car

Car enthusiast I have an issue i'd like some help with,

A month ago I noticed a car had just been dumped outside my place, it didn't have number plates or anything I figured it was stolen and the police would take care of it.. now this was a month ago. The car is still there and it's slowly turning into a dirty tin can with wheels.

I called up the local council and they said they were going to send someone to put a sticker on it and take it away to be crushed.

Now this instantly gave me a light bulb.

If someone's dumped rubbish of a car could transform (no pun intended) into my treasure, why not?

Is this possible? can I claim the car if no one else is going to?

What can I do?

Not sure how it works but you might want to talk to your lawyer about grabbing it and you could keep it.  If you get it, you will have to get new keys for the doors and starter. Unless you find keys inside if someone dump it there in case they don't want it anymore.

I remember years ago that a guy found a foreclose house and got it for a dollar ( or up depends on the location)...

FYI, Drunk driver might have left it there because he/she didn't feel good to keep driving... then called someone to pick him/her up... and later, he/she could forget where the car is parked at.  Or the driver might be at hospital for a period of time due the health issue.   You never know.

Do you live near any auto shop or some places?    If so, someone could dropped it off for auto shop ... something like that..

You could think more reasons for leaving the car there on your lot. 

If it is an apartment complex, you can not do a thing because a buyer is planning to have it restored or registered soon..  it could be recent purchase from the private seller, if so, he/she might have paper license plate inside or in glove compartment.

12 hours ago, Jase said:

Car enthusiast I have an issue i'd like some help with,

A month ago I noticed a car had just been dumped outside my place, it didn't have number plates or anything I figured it was stolen and the police would take care of it.. now this was a month ago. The car is still there and it's slowly turning into a dirty tin can with wheels.

I called up the local council and they said they were going to send someone to put a sticker on it and take it away to be crushed.

Now this instantly gave me a light bulb.

If someone's dumped rubbish of a car could transform (no pun intended) into my treasure, why not?

Is this possible? can I claim the car if no one else is going to?

What can I do?

That's a big no-no.

It's still someone else's property (even if it doesn't have license plates on) and you'll be charged with a theft.

There are other, legal venues you can take (bidding on a car auction).

can I claim the car if no one else is going to?

How would you register the title? What document would you show that would prove you are the legal owner (the department of transport still has the record of the rightful owner and without a buy-sell contract, you'd be cuffed right on the spot there).

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

That's a big no-no.

It's still someone else's property (even if it doesn't have license plates on) and you'll be charged with a theft.

There are other, legal venues you can take (bidding on a car auction).

How would you register the title? What document would you show that would prove you are the legal owner (the department of transport still has the record of the rightful owner and without a buy-sell contract, you'd be cuffed right on the spot there).

Not always, need to check with local law enforcement.  At some point it does become abandoned.  When it is considered abandoned you could claim it as your own, but this varies from state to state.   In NY, local authority has first dibs, if they don't want it then you have the option to exercise provided it is 10 years or older and just about worthless (holds a value of $1,250 or less)

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-an-Abandoned-Vehicle

ny law:

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/abandoned-vehicles

Dispose of an abandoned vehicle

First contact the local authority 1 that has jurisdiction over the abandoned vehicle. Local authorities are authorized to take custody of any abandoned vehicle in their jurisdiction, whether abandoned on public or private property.

If the local authority does not choose to exercise its authority to take custody and ownership of the abandoned vehicle, you may do one of the following, as appropriate:

• If the motor vehicle

• has a wholesale value of $1,250 or less, and
    • is ten or more model years old and has been abandoned for at least one month,

you may transfer the vehicle to a registered vehicle dismantler or itinerant vehicle collector. Use the Statement of Abandoned Vehicle (MV-37). To calculate the first eligible model year, subtract 9 from the current calendar year. For example, 2010 minus 9 equals 2001, and eligible model years would be 2001 and older.

• If the motor vehicle does not meet all of the preceding requirements, ask your local police agency to give a towing company an authorization to tow the vehicle away from your property.

18 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Not always, need to check with local law enforcement.  At some point it does become abandoned.  When it is considered abandoned you could claim it as your own, but this varies from state to state.   In NY, local authority has first dibs, if they don't want it then you have the option to exercise provided it is 10 years or older and just about worthless (holds a value of $1,250 or less)

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-an-Abandoned-Vehicle

ny law:

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/abandoned-vehicles

Dispose of an abandoned vehicle

First contact the local authority 1 that has jurisdiction over the abandoned vehicle. Local authorities are authorized to take custody of any abandoned vehicle in their jurisdiction, whether abandoned on public or private property.

If the local authority does not choose to exercise its authority to take custody and ownership of the abandoned vehicle, you may do one of the following, as appropriate:

• If the motor vehicle

• has a wholesale value of $1,250 or less, and
    • is ten or more model years old and has been abandoned for at least one month,

you may transfer the vehicle to a registered vehicle dismantler or itinerant vehicle collector. Use the Statement of Abandoned Vehicle (MV-37). To calculate the first eligible model year, subtract 9 from the current calendar year. For example, 2010 minus 9 equals 2001, and eligible model years would be 2001 and older.

• If the motor vehicle does not meet all of the preceding requirements, ask your local police agency to give a towing company an authorization to tow the vehicle away from your property.

Agreed. However, the authorities still need to be notified first and certain procedures need to be followed. They gonna have to make a record, put a sticker, so they know how much time has passed. If someone takes the initiative in their own hands, they risk being charged with a theft. This was my point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Agreed. However, the authorities still need to be notified first and certain procedures need to be followed. They gonna have to make a record, put a sticker, so they know how much times has passed. A parking lot or a street isn't a dump site, so if someone takes the initiative in their own hands, they risk being charged with a theft. This was my point.

Doesn't matter...  you have a proof with a photo with date stamp on it.  Which the date on photo tells you how long that car has been sitting for.

For example, you took a picture then months later, the car still sits on the same spot since then, then you can claim it since you have a proof because the car is sitting on your property for awhile. Then you can take a photo after the length of time whatever the law says in your state, then take the photos to DMV, Authorities, etc., in order to claim it as yours.

If it's an apartment complex, you can't because someone who owns that car could live in apartment near you.  If you have a problem with it because of eyesore, then report to apartment office. They will have it tow away unless they have info on the file... if so, they can't do a thing unless the car is not registered to anyone who live in apartment complex. It could be friends'  or relative's car.

Just wait and see if the owner is coming back to get it or not for length of time based on the law.

Contact DMV, lawyer, authorities, etc before claiming it.

In the UK I would take it to Lost and Found lol! Then after three months if no one claims it legally yours. Most likely been stolen, used to commit another crime and dumped. The original owner has probably already claimed on the insurance. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Agreed. However, the authorities still need to be notified first and certain procedures need to be followed. They gonna have to make a record, put a sticker, so they know how much time has passed. If someone takes the initiative in their own hands, they risk being charged with a theft. This was my point.

They don't need to put a sticker on it, but they do make a record in their database.  The timestamp in the database for when the entry was made could be used as how long time has passed.  But they do need to be contacted so that they can attempt to contact the owner of the vehicle. 

wow guys, keep this info coming! I'm thinking of taking all this documenting it and talking with a lawyer... hopefully your insights will help!

Can you get to the vehicle's VIN number somehow? Is the car unlocked? Give that number to the police, it'll be on their database with its license number (we call it registration here in the UK) if the plates are missing.

They'll also be able to find if there's any outstanding warrants/fines on the vehicle, and who the registered owner really is

Vin on US cars can be easily seen through the windshield on the drivers side dash board. (Where dash board meets glass).   No need to unlock or go into car for that. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, John Teacake said:

In the UK I would take it to Lost and Found lol! Then after three months if no one claims it legally yours. Most likely been stolen, used to commit another crime and dumped. The original owner has probably already claimed on the insurance. 

UK salvage laws (ok it's a grey area) one CAN claim it and apply for the relevant paperwork (usually gets the former owner or authorities involved) and if there's no contest, the car can be claimed and paperwork will be issued