What was the last movie you watched? (2016 Edition)

The Brothers Grimsby

MV5BMjE0NTE3MjMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc5NjQxODE@__V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

4/10

Was a funny enough film, but the usual low end humour you'd come to expect from Sacha Baron Cohen, a lot of awkward comedy.

Worth watching if you're into that sort of thing

Saw X-Men Apocalypse yesterday. Have to say I liked it. Which is sort of surprising, considering how tired of superhero movies I am, but I guess the X-Men still had some goodwill left from First Class and Days, which I enjoyed a lot. While Days of Future Past was so good it went kind of above the whole superhero schtick, this one is a different type of movie, but if you approach it right, you'll have fun. I liked this one in the same way that I liked the second Avengers movie: it felt like watching a live-action comic book. That has it's pros and cons, and much like Age of Ultron, juggling such a large cast presents its problems, but at least this one felt self-contained and didn't feel burdened by the need of having to set up the next five movies in the franchise.

I really appreciated the cast and their chemistry. Most characters have nice little arcs, everything is nicely set up. It was nice to give Cyclops and Storm actual character traits.  The action was loads of fun. This movie really knows how to use the powers of their characters. Quicksilver steals the show again, him beating on Apocalypse is the most ridiculous fun I've had watching something in a while. Seeing how the teleportation looks from Nightcrawler's angle was also a very short, but a very cool and visually pleasing moment. The humor was well-dosed and didn't feel too "quippy." The movie was also surprisingly graphic.

What I didn't like so much was that it really did feel too crammed at times. I appreciate it wasn't 3 hours long, but again, I sort of wish they spent more time on some things. Some scenes just follow each other without leaving the time for anything to sink in, like the comedic Quicksilver scene appearing right after the dramatic nuclear missile scene with Apocalypse. This was also felt with Magneto's scenes. Just a bit more time spent with his family would have had a more profound effect on his later storyline. Another thing I disliked was how consequence free Magneto's actions were.

The biggest flaw of the movie for me was Apocalypse's motivation. I think it was such a missed opportunity not to capitalize on the nuclear tension of the 80s. As it is in the movie, the nuclear conflict seems to be resolved right after it's introduced, much like the way Magneto is introduced into the story. Spending some more time to drive the point of Apocalypse's disgust with humans would have made for a more convincing villain.

I know I could nitpick a bunch of things now, like how Apocalypse doesn't simply disintegrate mutants instead of fighting them etc, but that's where I'm happy to turn a blind-eye. To me, the movie does a well enough job of establishing what it's aiming for (a decent story with cool action that the 13-year old in me would have loved to death), so it gets a pass on that end.

Overall I enjoyed it. A good popcorn movie, and a decent end to the 'First Class' trilogy. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 0:10 PM, Syanide said:

Saw X-Men Apocalypse yesterday. Have to say I liked it. Which is sort of surprising, considering how tired of superhero movies I am, but I guess the X-Men still had some goodwill left from First Class and Days, which I enjoyed a lot. While Days of Future Past was so good it went kind of above the whole superhero schtick, this one is a different type of movie, but if you approach it right, you'll have fun. I liked this one in the same way that I liked the second Avengers movie: it felt like watching a live-action comic book. That has it's pros and cons, and much like Age of Ultron, juggling such a large cast presents its problems, but at least this one felt self-contained and didn't feel burdened by the need of having to set up the next five movies in the franchise.

I really appreciated the cast and their chemistry. Most characters have nice little arcs, everything is nicely set up. It was nice to give Cyclops and Storm actual character traits.  The action was loads of fun. This movie really knows how to use the powers of their characters. Quicksilver steals the show again, him beating on Apocalypse is the most ridiculous fun I've had watching something in a while. Seeing how the teleportation looks from Nightcrawler's angle was also a very short, but a very cool and visually pleasing moment. The humor was well-dosed and didn't feel too "quippy." The movie was also surprisingly graphic.

What I didn't like so much was that it really did feel too crammed at times. I appreciate it wasn't 3 hours long, but again, I sort of wish they spent more time on some things. Some scenes just follow each other without leaving the time for anything to sink in, like the comedic Quicksilver scene appearing right after the dramatic nuclear missile scene with Apocalypse. This was also felt with Magneto's scenes. Just a bit more time spent with his family would have had a more profound effect on his later storyline. Another thing I disliked was how consequence free Magneto's actions were.

The biggest flaw of the movie for me was Apocalypse's motivation. I think it was such a missed opportunity not to capitalize on the nuclear tension of the 80s. As it is in the movie, the nuclear conflict seems to be resolved right after it's introduced, much like the way Magneto is introduced into the story. Spending some more time to drive the point of Apocalypse's disgust with humans would have made for a more convincing villain.

I know I could nitpick a bunch of things now, like how Apocalypse doesn't simply disintegrate mutants instead of fighting them etc, but that's where I'm happy to turn a blind-eye. To me, the movie does a well enough job of establishing what it's aiming for (a decent story with cool action that the 13-year old in me would have loved to death), so it gets a pass on that end.

Overall I enjoyed it. A good popcorn movie, and a decent end to the 'First Class' trilogy. 

+1

I take the movie for what it is basically, re-start the x-men.  My only nitpick is how easily they get rid of apocalypse.

• Like 1

Warcraft

Wife took me early for my Birthday, which is Today

MV5BMjIwNTM0Mzc5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk5NDU1ODE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,631,1000_AL_.jpg

9/10

Amazing, true to the lore of the game and books, amazing effects, a close telling of the original story

• Like 2

Embrace of the Serpent (Y) 

serpent.jpg

"As rich visually as it is thematically,Embrace of the Serpent offers a feast of the senses for film fans seeking a dose of bracing originality."

King Jack (Y) 

King-Jack.jpg

"Hard-hitting and honest yet sensitive"

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Y) (worth a watch only if you loved the first one, or if you wanna check out Elena Kampouris).

Midnight special (4/5)

Eye in the sky (3/5)

Warcraft was a major disappointment for me. They tried to pull all the right strings, but something was missing. I still like LOTR more, but I wished so much it would have been the other way around. 

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

MV5BMjE1MzA3NzYxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ0NDA5NzE@__V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

7/10

I actually liked it, just silly enough to not be taken seriously, and just enough eye candy to forgive the total destruction of a Jane Austen classic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Angry Birds Movie

maxresdefault.jpg

8/10

Fun and enjoyable, I didn't want to watch it, but I didn't want to argue with a 7 year old neither, Great Soundtrack, great voice talent too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Syanide said:

The_Nice_Guys_poster.png

The Nice Guys - 9/10

Near damn perfect, if you like this type of movies. I love Shane Black.

Watched this a few times, very good film.

• 3 weeks later...

Sat down with the wife to watch this tearjerker, and wasn't expecting much. However, it was pretty good. I sensed a tear trying to force its way onto my cheek.:cry: Great acting, especially from Russell Crowe, and loved just about every minute of the film. 7/10

MV5BMzgwMDgwMzE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk0OTgxOTE@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

The Color of Money.  Paul Newman & Tom Cruise

Just bought a new pool cue - was in that kind of mood.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:26 AM, JHBrown said:

Another reason I don't listen to critics, as this movie was pretty good. 7/10

10-cloverfield-lane-featured.jpg

Agreed - loved how you never knew the truth - then the ending was unexpected and, as my fiance said, "right up my alley"