Ways to Hide The Look of Win10?

I've always hated how they made Win8 and Win10 look like it was designed by some kid.  I found the look of Win7 a lot better.  However, I also realize Win10 provides speed benefits and other things.  So my question is, is there ways just hide what I think is the ugliness of Win10?  What about fonts?  I know they do rendering differently but, the system fonts looks horrid and jagged.  I know in the past Windows Blinds and such was the norm.  I thought I would get some input here.  

There was a tool called gdipp that improved the way text rendered, but it's been abandoned; it might still work, but last I used it there was an issue with Chrome.

As far as I know there are no visual styles for 10 (yet) to make it more appealing.

Edit: I stand corrected (by the post below). I was browsing the wrong category!

Theming definitely remains possible on Windows 10 (natively, more or less), and Windowsblinds continues to be supported. I think since it's an aesthetic issue, you should browse through the available themes for each method and choose based on which method can provide you with a theme that you like.

I would check out the themes section on DeviantArt - neiio has produced some very comprehensive 10 themes, which you may want to start with.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1277458-steam-vs-windows-10-edition/

Holy crap...a topic criticisng the look of 10 and no one came here to shout at you and call you the worst thing to happen to humanity since the beginning of our humble existence.

Neowin...you may have hope yet!

...back on topic, zhangm that theme looks amazing...I may consider using it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zidane said:

Holy crap...a topic criticisng the look of 10 and no one came here to shout at you and call you the worst thing to happen to humanity since the beginning of our humble existence.

Well, honestly, its a visual preference of mine.  Win7 looked so much better and was so much easier on the eyes.  So I'm hoping that I can find a theme or VS that will make Win10 a little bit more visually palatable. Lol

5 minutes ago, Zidane said:

It's one thing to express an opinion (I think Windows 10 is ugly) rather than state it is as fact (Windows 10 is ugly).  You'll get shouted down (rightfully IMHO) for the latter because it goes against other opinions, but (rightfully) not for the former.

2 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

It's one thing to express an opinion (I think Windows 10 is ugly) rather than state it is as fact (Windows 10 is ugly).  You'll get shouted down (rightfully IMHO) for the latter because it goes against other opinions, but (rightfully) not for the former.

I think Windows 10 is ugly and Windows 10 is ugly go hand in hand...you've got someone at a computer screen making a comment which can only BE their opinion. The issue is many take it wayyyy to personal lol.

19 minutes ago, Zidane said:

The issue is many take it wayyyy to personal lol.

What the ###### did you just ######## say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the ###### out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ######## words. You think you can get away with saying that ###### to me over the Internet? Think again, ######er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ######## dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ######. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ######## tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will ###### fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ######## dead, kiddo.

Spoiler

Please take this as it's mean, right?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

It would've been nice if MS would have included real theme support like Linux, etc. has.

I thought about that too.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new visual style of Win8/10.  The upside still being you can at least get external software to do the trick.

31 minutes ago, Steve B said:

The upside still being you can at least get external software to do the trick.

29 minutes ago, margrave said:

I dont think WindowBlinds supports 10 yet.... 'coming soon'

Rainmeter does, but if you don't have a lot of RAM in your system it's not a good idea.  This is why Windows needs to get native theming support.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zidane said:

I think Windows 10 is ugly and Windows 10 is ugly go hand in hand...you've got someone at a computer screen making a comment which can only BE their opinion. The issue is many take it wayyyy to personal lol.

Do you see and realize the irony of your own posts in this thread ?

On 1/13/2016 at 11:34 AM, HawkMan said:

Do you see and realize the irony of your own posts in this thread ?

I think you are taking this wayyy to personal lol.

On 1/12/2016 at 1:02 PM, Nik L said:

What the ###### did you just ######## say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the ###### out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ######## words. You think you can get away with saying that ###### to me over the Internet? Think again, ######er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ######## dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ######. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ######## tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will ###### fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ######## dead, kiddo.

Hide contents

Please take this as it's mean, right?

Damn Nik... Umm Thanks for your service? Mwwuhahaha. :shiftyninja: 

• Like 1

1. Don't install it.

2. See step one, above.

3???

4. Profit? I guess? I mean, dang....

Sure I've had some small, minor problems with it, but it works amazingly well. 7+8's complaints aside, you aren't forced to install it. So if the customer is happy with, say, 7 or 8, just leave them be? That's what I'd do. Tried it with XP and Vista too, but I guess it boils down to what the customer wants. Mine all wanted 10, because, hey, 10 > 7, so therefore they thought it'd be better....and so far, on their machines, it has, but since I've been healing from a broken jaw (in two places) my calls have gone down considerably....and...AND...I'm still homeless, mind you....but I ALWAYS check up on my customers. And no, they aren't mom, dad, grandma, etc. Gotta keep my people happy and running smoothly.

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:45 AM, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Rainmeter does, but if you don't have a lot of RAM in your system it's not a good idea.  This is why Windows needs to get native theming support.

At this point, theming would be a bit hard, unless you're looking to install dozens of third party utilities to restore the old look of Windows. There isn't much left to theme, and several legacy features will be removed before long.

See the sticky post in this forum section for all info needed to theme windows 10.

Gdipp still works, if anyone wants to know the workaround lemme know and I'll look it up.

On 14/01/2016 at 9:10 PM, Dot Matrix said:

At this point, theming would be a bit hard, unless you're looking to install dozens of third party utilities to restore the old look of Windows. There isn't much left to theme, and several legacy features will be removed before long.

Nah we got even aeroglass back: http://www.glass8.eu

I still got a few licenses if anyone needs a license.

So only thing needed is glass8, startisback, oldnewexplorer and a windows 7 theme for 10 which can probably be found on deviantart.

Theming has become easier in some ways, no more need to edit system files to change the startmenu button and navigation buttons in explorer.

30 minutes ago, Seahorsepip said:

Nah we got even aeroglass back: http://www.glass8.eu

I still got a few licenses if anyone needs a license.

I'll take a license, please & thank you.

10 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I'll take a license, please & thank you.

Send me your machine code (generated by aeroglass)  in a pm.