Front Page - Comments

Neowin!

Long time member... about this close to just outright leaving though, after my first post for today goes bonkers with the Neowin commenting system.

Is there ANY way possible... that you guys can create a link for each front page article, helping users navigate to the original forum thread under the The Front Page News?

Capture.thumb.PNG.d922d861df053543e5c193

You can even make it subtle, just like Twitter and Facebook do, allowing the user to click the time on the post (in this case, clicking on "2 hours ago", which navigates you to that specific post itself.

Reason why I ask for this is because there's currently no easy way than digging through the Front Page News forum to find the thread itself.

"Okay dead.cell, but how does that fix your complaint?"

It allows me to easily go to the thread on the forum and reply to people commenting on an article. This way people like myself can post with assurance, but also with a better formatting toolset than is currently available on the front page comment section.

I won't stress about how long we've had commenting issues, as I know you are all busy people. I just want to help create a solution for people who have been loyal to this website, if it means both parties can be happier with little extra work. I'm just tired of pouring my thoughts into a post that just gets mangled. Just the same, I would hope this eases the stress of chasing your tail around an issue. At least the site isn't down for days, trying to throttle Google spiders right? :p

Hope you would consider this, thanks for your time.

• Like 2

Wait, commenting on front page news posts in the forum was never possible before our update to 4.0, it was always limited to the main page.

Now, in the hope that we can get our regular forum members posting more in front page news posts, we give that ability for you to do so, without ever having to leave the forums and it is still somehow wrong?

The system as it was still remains for the front page news articles and comments, and mirrors in the forums. We actually added a feature, but leave it to people to continue reading in a more compact format in the news article on main, or in a more friendly format for our regular forum members in the forums, the links from front news page comments even link to the forum thread in the minispy and activity feeds.

Help me understand the problem here, because the image you posted shows the same article (in a better format than the one posted in the forums) and all of the comments are there in their intended order as well on the main news site, why would you need to go dig it out in the forum?

Plus if you have setup notifications properly you will get alerts to replies in that news thread that takes you to the forum thread.

I prefer the original way.

All the community activity on the front page and mini-spy now does is just literally rehash front page stories, I can hardly see what's actually going on in the forums anymore.

Not to mention the other issues that the new forum-post-method has caused. :(

Edit : Minor changes. And a painful reminder that we have to add an edit reason. -_-

7 minutes ago, Raa said:

I prefer the original way.

All the community activity on the front page and mini-spy now does is just literally rehash front page stories, I can hardly see what's actually going on in the forums anymore.

Not to mention the other issues that the new forum-post-method has caused. :(

Edit : Minor changes. And a painful reminder that we have to add an edit reason. -_-

I do too. The copying of front page posts to the forum just leads to distorted images and broken mobile responsiveness. The idea is good in theory but utterly falls down in practice. 

Steven, I'm saying the front page articles have no URL to the forum thread that gets mirrored.

Meaning if you want to post something with images, links, and other formatting, you have to leave that article to go to the forum, find Front Page News, then find your article. Yes, alternatively, you might be lucky and it might be in the minispy/activity feed, but that's not always the case nor reliable.

Just now, MikeChipshop said:

@dead.cell(Y)

I asked for this in august ^^^ Glads to see someone else wants it and it got actioned. Cheers! And a big thanks to @Redmak

You did put it on my list of things to do :)

I don't see why the comments have to be mirrored. The news section is basically a different view of the thread. Make a new thread view template and be done with the crazy bugs that happen. Done.

A button given to people with article permission could be displayed at the top of the thread. This would insert thread id# into a table. Front page would query this table to grab what threads to show. Then any thread posted in like Back Page News and other forums could easily be added to the front page if they are deemed news worthy instead of copying the article and not crediting/linking to the original thread (which often happens).

PS: Before anyone gives any snarky remarks, I work professionally as a web developer. It's not that hard.

Edited by Xilo

6 hours ago, Xilo said:

I don't see why the comments have to be mirrored. The news section is basically a different view of the thread. Make a new thread view template and be done with the crazy bugs that happen. Done.

A button given to people with article permission could be displayed at the top of the thread. This would insert thread id# into a table. Front page would query this table to grab what threads to show. Then any thread posted in like Back Page News and other forums could easily be added to the front page if they are deemed news worthy instead of copying the article and not crediting/linking to the original thread (which often happens).

PS: Before anyone gives any snarky remarks, I work professionally as a web developer. It's not that hard.

Their front page system is not IPB so it is not just a different view.  I would guess they did it to not be married to any one forum framework, but in reality it looks to me they still are.

13 hours ago, Xilo said:

What we do isn't far off of that. We aren't "mirroring" so much as we're showing the same data in different places. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/17/2016 at 3:46 AM, Redmak said:

Added link to forum post

Capture.PNG

Hi Redmak,

Just so you are aware, this feature no longer works now.  It now just takes you to the same news page, instead of the forum post.

Also, when you hover over your username on the front page at the top, click Profile, it doesn't take you to your profile.  It appears to be dropping the username in the URL.  Example, this is the page I get to when I click it:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/profile/61965-

Instead of:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/profile/61965-deadcell/

I've done a hard refresh as well as use both Chrome and IE.  Hope that gives you some insight; I really only came here to report one problem but found another. :p

Thanks!

1 minute ago, dead.cell said:

Just so you are aware, this feature no longer works now.  It now just takes you to the same news page, instead of the forum post.

Just now, Yogurth said:

Will You ever bring edit option to news section comments? I just made several grammar errors in 2 sentences :) that i can't edit.

It should be there already, hover over the comment, and you should get an additional 2 icons in the top right of the comment area. One to report the comment, the other to edit it (if you're the original author of the comment - otherwise obviously you'll only get the report icon).

3 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

It should be there already, hover over the comment, and you should get an additional 2 icons in the top right of the comment area. One to report the comment, the other to edit it (if you're the original author of the comment - otherwise obviously you'll only get the report icon).

I am the author and I have only the report button along with quote and reply. In the past I used forum to edit the post, but that is now not an option.

1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

I am the author and I have only the report button along with quote and reply. In the past I used forum to edit the post, but that is now not an option.

Ok, I'll take a look at that, the icon definitely should be appearing

It looks like the editing time window was set at 5 minutes, I've adjusted it to match the window available on the forums. Could you let me know if that's done it for you (the icon should be visible as long as you made the comment within the last 45 mins)

10 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

It looks like the editing time window was set at 5 minutes, I've adjusted it to match the window available on the forums. Could you let me know if that's done it for you (the icon should be visible as long as you made the comment within the last 45 mins)

No icon appears. 

41 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

As soon as I make some comment in the news section I will check it out and report here.