Radio Antennas and DC Shorts

Gerowen

I recorded this video kind of in a hurry in response to an ongoing debate on Facebook.  You'll have to excuse the poor video quality, I replaced my old tablet and the camera on this one is less than impressive to say the least.  I need to invest on a dedicated camera.

Anyway, I'm posting this as its own topic because it doesn't just apply to CB antennas, it can apply to ham radios or anything that uses an antenna.  Many antennas come with built-in tuning coils so that they can be adjusted to operate more efficiently on different frequencies.  The Solarcon A-99 is a popular entry level CB radio base station, but you can use the tuning rings on it to tune it for use on the 10 and 12 meter ham radio bands.  Wilson, Sirio and other companies also make magnet mount mobile antennas for use on cars that have a tuning coil built into their base.  With these antennas, if you check it with an ohm-meter on the coax connector or at the feed point, you will find that there's a DC short between the center pin and the shield/ground.  This is completely normal, and does not indicate a problem with the antenna.

Antennas that attach via a stud mount like a 102 inch steel whip, fiberglass trucker antennas (like Firestiks) and such will not show a DC short between the hot and ground because the ground stops at the stud and the antenna uses the body of the vehicle as counterpoise.  If you are using one of these antennas that does not have a tuning coil in the base, and there's a DC short between the center pin or radiating element and shield, then you do indeed have a problem.  Also, when coax is disconnected from the antenna there should not be any continuity between the center pin and shield.  If there is, then your coax needs to be fixed or replaced.  This is a common issue with smaller coax cables like RG-58 that have a single center conductor, especially when they're kinked or pinched repeatedly because that single conductor can break and poke through the dielectric insulator and short against the shield.  This is one reason I recommend running your coax through drain plugs in the floorboard or through the firewall or some place where they can remain stationary and not get pinched, kinked or cut during normal operation of the vehicle.

So to summarize, the Solarcon/Antron A-99 and other antennas that have a built in-tuning coil will show a DC short on an ohm-meter and this is totally normal.  If you want to verify whether or not an antenna is good, make sure it has continuity from end to end.  There should be continuity between the center pin at the feed point (where the coax connects) and any exposed metal along the radiating element, such as where the sections of an A-99 or iMax 2000 twist together.  Put an antenna analyzer on it and check the SWR at your desired operating frequencies, or use a spare radio you don't care about with an in-line meter to measure the SWR.  If possible at the time, hit the antenna with as much power as you plan on using, because sometimes the radiating elements can be burned up and will show low SWR readings at low power output levels, but then skyrocket when you actually connect your radio and hit them with higher power levels.  This requires you to actually mount the antenna, even if it's only temporary, because checking SWR with the antenna on the ground will not give you accurate readings.  Check for obvious physical damage, make sure the drain holes in the bottom of an A-99 and iMax 2000 are clear so that moisture can drain out, and make sure the vinyl cap for the tip of the antenna is still present, etc., but don't be alarmed if your A-99 shows a DC short from hot to ground, :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sandy
      Hi Neowinians

I am upgrading my WiFi card on my Laptop, currently it is a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 Plus Bluetooth 4.0, 1x1, M.2 2230 format, which is giving me signal problems as it cuts out in the furthest room in my house from the router which happens to be the office. I have opened my laptop to look and currently the card has a black and white cable attached to it, which I've googled to understand are a main cable and an auxilary cable. I have also found a manual for my laptop which shows the antenna's in diagrams.
      My new one I am looking to upgrade to is Intel Dual Band WiFi 6 AX200 802.11ax, 2x2, M.2 2230 which I've researched and think would work fine with my laptop.

The only thing I don't understand is whether the antenna's in your laptop need to be upgraded as well or not as my old card was 1x1 and new one is 2x2 and supports technologies such as MIMO. I think taking the whole laptop apart will be too much for me to do to replace the antennas if that's what I need to do. However I've also read on google as there are two cables, it should work fine as 2x2. Can someone offer some insight into this for me please and whether antennas will need upgrading so I know if there is any point in buying the 802.11ax card?

Thank you in advance, much appreciated, been away from the Neowin community for some time
    • By Timi Cantisano
      SiriusXM purchases Pandora for $3.5 billion
      by Timi Cantisano

Despite being one of the first music streaming services available, over the past decade, Pandora has lost its luster, being overshadowed by the likes of Spotify and Apple Music. While it has added features to its service to compete, it still hasn't regained its former glory. Although it will be an uphill battle, it looks like Pandora won't have to do it alone, as the company has now been purchased by SiriusXM.

SiriusXM has been operating for a decade and is known for providing satellite radio services to its customers. The firm also offers streaming radio services over the internet. The new deal will see Pandora join SiriusXM for $3.5 billion in an all-stock transaction. The press release states that despite the change, there will be no immediate changes in its offerings.

SiriusXM has detailed the points above as goals for the new partnership. As stated earlier, Pandora has not been doing so well, so it will be important that the company leverages its SiriusXM content and reach to make the brand stronger.

Source: Pandora via The Verge

• By Timi Cantisano
      You can now listen to FM radio on your unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+
      by Timi Cantisano

If you're a person who loves FM radio and owns an unlocked variant of the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+, you'll be happy to know the handsets are now enabling support for FM radio reception after their most recent updates.

There was a bit of confusion earlier in the year when Samsung debuted its Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+. The firm advertised that FM reception was indeed a feature on both devices but failed to give details that it was only going to be available on carrier-branded units. This left those that purchased the unlocked model without the ability to tune in to the radio. While it probably wasn't a huge issue, it is good to see that Samsung has finally resolved the problem after three months.

Although streaming services have dominated for the past few years, there are still some programs that can only be enjoyed through the radio. If you are one of those people that wants to take advantage and has an unlocked model, be sure to plug in a set of headphones and download the NextRadio app.

Source: Reddit via The Verge

• By Gerowen
      FreqLength is just a very simple little tool I wrote for myself partly just as a hobby/project, and also so I'd have a portable wavelength calculator.  I just posted a new version of it yesterday and thought I would share in case any of you are interested in it or might find it useful.  It takes a given frequency as input and then spits out the wavelength of that frequency.  You can get wavelengths either in open space, or if you provide the velocity factor, it will give you those same wavelengths in a cable with that velocity factor.  This might come in handy for people such as Ham/CB radio operators, or others who deal with radio transmissions and make their own cables.

It's just written in Python, so if you don't trust me (I don't blame you for not trusting some noob on the internet), you can just download and extract the tar archive and then read the "freqlength.py" file with your favorite text/code editor.  The Windows executable is just the python version compiled against Python 3.4 with py2exe, then bundled into an installer with InnoSetup.  Since it's just Python, the version in the tar archive should run on any system with Python installed; Linux, Mac OS, etc.  There is a Linux installation batch script that you can use if you'd like, although it's not necessary to use it; all it does is move the files into /opt/freqlength and stick some icons on the desktop and in your applications menu.  The source files are also installed as part of the Windows installation process, so if you install the Windows version with the .exe but still want to see the source code, just browse to the installation directory and you should see the freqlength.py file in there.

I no longer own any 32 bit machines to compile on (and haven't bothered setting up a 32 bit VM), so the Windows executable version will only run on 64 bit machines, so if you're running a 32 bit version of Windows, you'll have to have Python 3 installed and use the tarball version.  If you're running 64 bit Windows and you don't care about reading the source code, all you need is the Windows executable.

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freqlength/

• By Copernic
      TapinRadio 2.05
      by Razvan Serea

Tapin Radio is a simple internet radio streaming and recording tool with thousands of free online radio stations you can tune in to. Includes quick search, smooth switching between stations, and sleep timer to shutdown TapinRadio or even your computer. There's also a Pro (paid) version which offers cover art, lyrics support, recordings schedule and other useful features.

Main features are:

Plenty of stations to choose from Supports most of the internet radio formats – mp3, wma, ogg vorbis, aac+ and so on Quick and reliable search Smooth switching between stations Record what you are listening to – including separate song files Automatic checking for software and stations Show your favorites in groups Sleep timer to shutdown TapinRadio or even your computer Portable installation available (Choose portable during installation) Changes in TapinRadio 2.05:

Added: Online search Fixed: Minor bugs Download: TapinRadio 2.05 | 14.5 MB (Freeware, paid upgrade available)
      View: TapinRadio Homepage