please convince me to stay on windows phone

Hi guys, I am new here. I have been reading the forums for a long time but I have been shy to post but I am desperate now and I need some help, please help.

sorry for the long writing but I ll try to be as short as I can to describe my problems.

I have been using windows since windows 95 and windows mobile since the palm treos all the way to the lumia 925 and now I have a lumia 640 because my 925 died.

my main problem is that I used the windows insider program to upgrade to the builds of windows 10 mobile because i am a windows enthusiast and i really want to like windows 10 mobile.  There are many things i really like, calendar app, mail app, settings sections, i like the overall design but even though there are less things i don't like, those are the ones that i sue the most and the ones that really frustrate me: that is groove music, maps, podcasts and edge.

Groove music has been having many media playback problems for the last two months i would say, and for the last 3 days i have not been able to launch the application. it launches and it goes right back to the start screen. i hard reseted the phone and it still does not work (podcast are having the same issues as groove music)

maps, where do i start. it has improvements but I really miss the full map view of windows 8.1, it also does not remember any of my previous searches and i think the fonts are too small for a mobile device.

Edge crashes a lot and when it works it keeps refreshing the pages and it is annoying to be honest.

on the operating system as a whole, I get a lot more resuming notices than with windows 8.1, Maxton browser takes about 10 seconds to launch, the same with the flashlight and other apps.

Here is what i have been doing to fix the problems with no luck.  For the last two days I have been resetting the phone to the point of using the recovery tool to go back to windows 8.1 but in almost all the cases i have not been able to recover any of my text messages.

I have been thinking to switch over to android and give it a try.  the last time i tried android was with the G1 introduced by tmobile many years ago 

will it work if i use Microsoft services only, the one service i use from google is you tube and sometimes google maps.

do you guys think that if i wait until tmobile upgrades my phone to windows 10 mobile will get rid of all these problems or are the builds i have been using the same as the upgrade build?

i don't have the money to upgrade to the lumia 950, but is there any other phone above the 640 that could work better with windows 10 that is not too expensive.

what else can I do to fix the problems i am currently having with my 640 and stay with windows phone?

Please don't attach me, i really need some help so any advice would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks 

The best thing you can do for Windows Phone is switch to the platform that best suits your needs and provides the user experience you desire. That's the ONLY hope left for the platform. Money talks.

thanks for the response, i guess i am just afraid of not been able to be as efficient in android as i am in windows phone, mainly from i have heard about other users being frustrated with android. and to be hones, even thought i think the iPhone is a nice phone that would be my last resort since i really don't like apple as a company

1 minute ago, windowssurvivor said:

thanks for the response, i guess i am just afraid of not been able to be as efficient in android as i am in windows phone, mainly from i have heard about other users being frustrated with android. and to be hones, even thought i think the iPhone is a nice phone that would be my last resort since i really don't like apple as a company

Yeah. I'm not going to try and sell Android, even though I'm on an Asus Zenfone 2 and have a gold Samsung Note 5 on order. I'll let others sell the platform. I'd rather be on Windows phone but it's not changing to address the things that make it unappealing to me.

That's why I just say, use what works for  you, and no phone is that much easier or harder to use than the other. I agree about Apple but I will say I have owned several iPhones and they just work, and have full app support; like a mobile platform should.

I recently switched from android to a 930 running windows 10, and in my opinion OS vs OS, Windows 10 beats Android hands down. People go on about the app gap, but every app I used on android I have on Windows, it doesn't seem to be as bad in the UK as most banks have a Windows app. The only issue I had was with Spotify, the windows app is just shocking, so I switched to Groove and it works fine for me. I suppose it depends on what apps you use, but if you can get the apps you need on Windows I don't see any point in using android.

Well,I've a Lumia 520 which does me fine for what I want it for.My main thing is having a pretty high spec laptop so a phone is a phone to me & it hardly costs me zilch.I'd far sooner have a decent laptop than a top grade phone any day of the year. 

From the sounds of it you like Windows 10 Mobile and are just experiencing bugs because you upgraded to a beta build of Windows 10, downgrade back to the latest stable build. You can be an enthusiast and not be on the latest beta release.

If you were to get an Android device you will have no problem using services and apps from Microsoft, the Microsoft Authentication app for Android is really useful. Outlook.com supports Exchange ActiveSync so you will be able to get push email. I don't use it, however you can get Cortana on Android. The Xbox app works really well. OneNote, Office Lesne and even the Office mobile apps also work great on Android too.

The only downside is for the Xbox / Office apps on Android is you have to sign in to the app again every time Microsoft update it, which is rather annoying. Microsoft told me its a "security feature" I just think its an inconvenient bug.

i really like where windows 10 is headed, and i have given some feedback on the apps that i use most and i have problems with hoping the fix them or improve them.  i have read that most Microsoft services work on android so i think ill be ok there, is just the ego i guess of going to Android after so many years being loyal wo windows phone.  i really want Microsoft to succeed with windows phone so we can continue getting updates but i am at a breaking point

I am resetted my phone several times today and restored to different back UPS that come up but in all the cases I have not being able to get any of my text messages back, does any body know how to sys or force sync the text messages without resetting the phone, thanks

I would rather have a Windows phone than Android. I've had 4-5 androids. Total rubbish. They're either slow, not enough space etc.

I decided to buy a 10.1 Android table tablet instead. At least it's got 8 GB on it. Got a case thing for it with built in keyboard, from Ebay that plugs into the USB port.

I'm happy with that. And because it's got apps for the devices around here. There's nothing for the Lumia.

And use the Lumia 820. 

I like it, because it's 8 GB it supports wireless charging (now that I've got the case and pad), it's dual band / 3 and 4G.

And I'm running WIn10 preview on it with cortana. Works great when I want to send a txt. I can speak instead of typing. And I can call with voice

2 minutes ago, John.D said:

I would rather have a Windows phone than Android. I've had 4-5 androids. Total rubbish. They're either slow, not enough space etc.

I decided to buy a 10.1 Android table tablet instead. At least it's got 8 GB on it. Got a case thing for it with built in keyboard, from Ebay that plugs into the USB port.

I'm happy with that. And because it's got apps for the devices around here. There's nothing for the Lumia.

And use the Lumia 820. 

I like it, because it's 8 GB it supports wireless charging (now that I've got the case and pad), it's dual band / 3 and 4G.

And I'm running WIn10 preview on it with cortana. Works great when I want to send a txt. I can speak instead of typing. And I can call with voice

I get the impression you had cheap Android handsets. 

Well they were, I'm not rich

They're not exactly cheap here, if you want everything inc the kitchen sink. Even the mid $199 -$250 Android phones here are crap.

Unless you spend like $500 + on one, something may actually work, and you may actually be able to update something on it

Good thing about the windows phone, I didnt buy it. Sister from Oz sent it to me. Didnt think it'd work, because it's an Optus phone. But it works fine here

For $99 I decided to go for the tablet, a cheap $18 case from Ebay, that I can put it into, which comes with a built-in keyboard. Only thing it doesnt have is a sim card slot

12 minutes ago, John.D said:

Well they were, I'm not rich

They're not exactly cheap here, if you want everything inc the kitchen sink. Even the mid $199 -$250 Android phones here are crap.

Unless you spend like $500 + on one, something may actually work, and you may actually be able to update something on it

Good thing about the windows phone, I didnt buy it. Sister from Oz sent it to me. Didnt think it'd work, because it's an Optus phone. But it works fine here

For $99 I decided to go for the tablet, a cheap $18 case from Ebay, that I can put it into, which comes with a built-in keyboard. Only thing it doesnt have is a sim card slot

Yeah that is the problem with Android. If you want a good experience, you have to go high end. Windows Phone is a lot less demanding of the hardware. 

I can tell you my experience.

I own a Lumia and I'm satisfied.

The hardware is not particularly powerful but I love the smoothness, it's faster than Android, I've not run any tests but it appears to be as smooth as the iPhone.

Of course I'm not 100% satisfied. When I see iPhones I wish WP had that kind of app support, it's not just a matter of quantity of the apps - that is definitely an issue though, especially when you consider the convenience of having "local" apps, and by "local" I mean banking, public transport and services, shopping, etc, any app that is useful only in a certain community, if there's an app that app is on iOS and Android -, but also the quality, I get the constant feeling of living with a Damocles sword hanging over my head, I use apps but I have no guarantee that those apps will be supported in 6/12 months. Then there's the camera, I was honestly expecting more from a 13MP Zeiss camera.

As for Android, it was never an option for me, I still feel that Microsoft's privacy policy is better than Google's, and using Microsoft's services (Outlook and OneDrive) it made just more sense to me, and I don't want to be stuck with an outdated OS because the manufacturer refuses to update or takes its time to do it. I could buy a Nexus phone, but keep in mind that I won't consider buying anything smaller than 5.5" and the 6P is too expensive for me.

Cost is the same reason why I've not bought an iPhone, because I don't want to have a contract, that I personally see as a debt, for a phone.

Although 249€ for my phone is fine, I get to live with a fast and smooth OS on a 5.7" screen, if I had chosen Android I would have probably ended up with a bloated OS on a low spec device, with probably worse camera, worse performance and worse battery life, to enjoy a similar experience with full app support I'd have to give almost 1,000€ to Apple (6 Plus 64GB 889€, 6s Plus 64GB 999€), even if I'd go with the 16GB version - considering that I'm using Iess than 8GB on my phone and SD combined - it would be too expensive anyway, and even if they released the 6c it would probably cost no less than 600€, that's just too much for me.

you really don't need anyone to convince you with anything if you really want to try something different other than windows phone go ahead its your money and its your phone you should enjoy what you like 

if you are going to feel bad for switching to android here is another New Microsoft app for Android yeah for android NOT windows phone this company does not care about its own OS

Hey I just switched kinda full time to Android and it does take a few days to get your bearings ...especially cause nothing is intuitive, but once you do you'll be just as productive as on W10. Fun thing is that I basically use the exact same apps as I did on W10, just that these work so much better. And when they don't they crash and burn and recover in a few seconds instead of taking the entire OS with them like Windows does now.

In other words going for an affordable but decent Android device should be an easy and worthwhile switch after you get over the initial small hump.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, BajiRav said:

I use 640 +W10M and I have never had so many problems with latest builds. Are you sure the hardware is fine?

9 hours ago, Vlad Dudau said:

Hey I just switched kinda full time to Android and it does take a few days to get your bearings ...especially cause nothing is intuitive, but once you do you'll be just as productive as on W10. Fun thing is that I basically use the exact same apps as I did on W10, just that these work so much better. And when they don't they crash and burn and recover in a few seconds instead of taking the entire OS with them like Windows does now.

In other words going for an affordable but decent Android device should be an easy and worthwhile switch after you get over the initial small hump.

I'm just about at that point Microsoft.

Why do you want to be convinced to use something?  Choose the platform that works best for you, has the apps you want, and is easy to use.  Personally, I like Android on my mobile devices and a full blown Linux distro for my desktop PCs and laptops.  They're easy to use, stable, free and open source, and I can get work done with them.  Somebody else may like Windows, OSX/iOS, etc.  Experiment and find what works best for you and don't worry about being a brand loyalist.  There's a reason I ditched Windows years ago after growing up with it, but my reasons may not apply to everybody.

Well I've always been an Android user and have always loved Android. Especially Android 6 Marshmellow, it's phenomenal.

But recently I switched to Windows Phone, buying the Lumia 950 XL, which I love, but is no where near as useful as Android.

Any app that I've used on Android that is available on Windows Phone is no where near as good as the Android version.

Feature wise, Windows Phone lacks big time compared to Android.

Most stuff I sideload on Android, also I have no ads on anything using Android, not even ads on YouTube.

Also on Android theres way more options for customization and tweaks.

Wheras with Windows Phone theres no way to do anything you can do with Android.

Personally, I think my Lumia 950 XL would be a much better phone if I could install CyanogenRom 13 on it.

But I'll stick it out with Windows 10, hoping things will get better.

41 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Why do you want to be convinced to use something?  Choose the platform that works best for you, has the apps you want, and is easy to use.  Personally, I like Android on my mobile devices and a full blown Linux distro for my desktop PCs and laptops.  They're easy to use, stable, free and open source, and I can get work done with them.  Somebody else may like Windows, OSX/iOS, etc.  Experiment and find what works best for you and don't worry about being a brand loyalist.  There's a reason I ditched Windows years ago after growing up with it, but my reasons may not apply to everybody.

^this.  Use whatever works best for you.  

• Like 2

Buy a brand new Nexus 6 for $250 on Amazon, and enjoy Android Marshmallow.  I was also like you original poster, used Windows 6 on a Palm Treo, all the way up to the Samsung Focus with Windows 7, and tried the Lumia 920 for a few weeks before sending it back. I had to abandon ship, as my most important Apps, USAA, NFCU, PenFed, and most of my credit card banks, are missing in action. I currently have a Lumia 635 just for keeping up with things, and ever since Windows 10, it has been a nightmare. I would give Microsoft a little more time to see if Universal Apps and Windows 10, really is what pushes this platform ahead. In the mean time, grab an Android phone, and enjoy everything a Microsoft phone lacks. Sorry I can't convince you to stay at this point in time.

So you like Windows Mobile. So do I. Let's look at a few things.

The 'app gap' is largely an illusion. I didn't buy my phone to play with it. It's an email machine, and a computer in my pocket. Because I don't miss the thousands of variations on Angry Birds I could download, it seems like this drawback is contrived. There IS a lack of apps for, say banking and playing the jukebox and such. I don't do that with my phone, so again, no big deal.

You are right about Windows Phone 10, and it is not your 640s fault. WP 10 will probably be ready to beta in like three more months. Unfortunately it's been out there for a year. People should be fired over this. I am in the process, right now, of setting my phone back to 8.1. I was hoping a new build would be released this week to make it a bit more usable, but I gave up and moved on. I like 10 better than 8.1, but the code just isn't tight yet. I think when it's actually ready for release, it will be great. But for now, it's making people think they should move away from Windows Mobile, even people like you who want to believe. It seems on odd business model to make people hate your product before you release it. But here we are.

Here's the big issue, though. This is what Microsoft seems to do with things that aren't desktop operating systems: They will release a new product to compete with others that are already established. Some people like it. They polish it a bit and more people like it. Then it gets really effing good, and even more people like it. In fact they think it's fantastic. Then Microsoft loses interest in it, and it dies. This is the ultimate future of Windows Mobile. When they get enough people interested, but not too many, they will act like it never happened.

• Like 2