Libraries or Saved Searches?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ian W

Do you use the Libraries feature introduced in Windows 7 and / or the Saved Search (otherwise known as Virtual Folder) feature introduced in Windows Vista? If so, do you have a preference for either feature?

While I like both features I, as you probably expected, prefer the Saved Search feature. Both Libraries and Saved Searches consolidate content from multiple locations in a single view, and both allow users to customize their viewing experience based on the content displayed. Libraries, however, only allow users to display content based on folder locations (e.g., they cannot reference content based solely on dates, file attributes, et cetera), and users must manually add folders to a library before their content will appear.

In contrast, Saved Searches can reference multiple locations simultaneously—or an individual folder(s) if that is what a user desires—based on a user's criteria such as specific names, dates, metadata, types, and words or phrases within files themselves. Also unlike Libraries, users can refine their Saved Search results with Boolean operators, natural language search (in Windows Vista and Windows 7), query composition, and / or the options offered by the column headers in File Explorer.

• Like 1
Vince800

I've used Libraries near enough since they were introduced. I have different folders for similar items & I have also turned on Indexing so I can add network shares as libraries, really useful feature. The fact that it's been hidden by default since Windows 8.1 has had me thinking that they might have removed it but they don't seem to have touched it yet, even as far as giving it new icons in 10 so that's something. I guess you could achieve the same using NTFS junction points but it's not as user friendly & I doubt it works with network shares.

• Like 1
Reverse Engineer

i tried to vote, but couldn't.

1. Do you use Libraries or Saved Searches?  i don't use either.

2. Which do you prefer?  there's no option that i can choose, as i don't use either, so i can't possibly have a preference.

• Like 1
Ian W
1 hour ago, Vince800 said:

I've used Libraries near enough since they were introduced. I have different folders for similar items & I have also turned on Indexing so I can add network shares as libraries, really useful feature. The fact that it's been hidden by default since Windows 8.1 has had me thinking that they might have removed it but they don't seem to have touched it yet, even as far as giving it new icons in 10 so that's something. I guess you could achieve the same using NTFS junction points but it's not as user friendly & I doubt it works with network shares.

Windows 8 did introduce the ability to change the icon of a library from within the UI.

1 hour ago, Reverse Engineer said:

i tried to vote, but couldn't.

1. Do you use Libraries or Saved Searches?  i don't use either.

2. Which do you prefer?  there's no option that i can choose, as i don't use either, so i can't possibly have a preference.

My apologies. This has been fixed.

zhangm

I currently stick with libraries.

Saved searches is an interesting feature. I'll try them out more extensively.

• Like 1
Ian W
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 4:38 PM, zhangm said:

I currently stick with libraries.

Saved searches is an interesting feature. I'll try them out more extensively.

Please share your experience after you do. It is very useful, but many users are not aware of its existence and / or do not appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...
LimeMaster

Lazily taken from a post I made on Ian's status. Still applies to this thread though, which is why I'm posting it here:

Used to use Libraries, but after Windows Updates constantly restoring ones I never used, I pinned everything to Quick Access instead. While it functions quite differently, it doesn't seem to get messed with. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
zhangm

I think Saved Searches would have been useful for me if Microsoft had continued developing it seriously. I think it offers a pretty flexible way of selecting files and offers more options for specificity than we see in the current implementation of Libraries. What breaks this feature for me is that I need any "virtual" directory or folder to work everywhere - not just in the file browser and some Win32 programs. I don't want to try opening a file in a saved search and see that the program that I'm using can't view the saved search as a directory.

I see that Saved Searches don't seem to be supported by at least several of the built-in apps, e.g. they are seen as an invalid file rather than displayed as a directory. I'd like to see the specificity in this feature bundled into libraries as advanced options, since there are cases where it is useful to collect files by some attribute other than what their parent directory is.

• Like 1
Noir Angel

Libraries, yes. Saved searches, no.

• Like 1
MS Bob 10

Use Libraries since Classic Shell can show them as an expanding menu. Saved searches are powerful but unfortunately open in Explorer, so not so fast access to files.

• Like 1
Mando

i use neither, im so oldschool and have all data of the same types in the same storage location where possible :) (all on nas tbh) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Ian W
On Wednesday, March 02, 2016 at 0:49 PM, zhangm said:

I think Saved Searches would have been useful for me if Microsoft had continued developing it seriously. I think it offers a pretty flexible way of selecting files and offers more options for specificity than we see in the current implementation of Libraries.

Your comment is a few weeks old, but I wanted to respond.

I realize that you were referring to other desired features when you made the quoted comment, but I also wish that Microsoft would have included the rich functionality as described in this topic.

On Wednesday, March 02, 2016 at 0:49 PM, zhangm said:

What breaks this feature for me is that I need any "virtual" directory or folder to work everywhere - not just in the file browser and some Win32 programs. I don't want to try opening a file in a saved search and see that the program that I'm using can't view the saved search as a directory.

I see that Saved Searches don't seem to be supported by at least several of the built-in apps, e.g. they are seen as an invalid file rather than displayed as a directory. I'd like to see the specificity in this feature bundled into libraries as advanced options, since there are cases where it is useful to collect files by some attribute other than what their parent directory is.

That is really unfortunate. If you do not mind me asking, would you be willing to share the name of a program(s) that does not work with the virtual directories?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this topic.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Windows 10 is getting rid of the 3D Objects folder soon
      by Rich Woods

One of the really big pushes around Windows 10 has been mixed reality. It started six months ahead of the release of the OS, when Microsoft announced HoloLens and a special version of Windows 10 called Windows Holographic. But that wasn't the end of the company's 3D ambitions, because a couple of years later, it actually added the Windows Mixed Reality shell into the OS.

Prior to that, the firm introduced an array of VR headsets that would start at $299, a very low price for the time. And around the same time, Microsoft introduced Paint 3D to Windows 10, and at the time, Paint 3D was actually planned to replace Paint.

Around this time, a folder called 3D Objects was added to the OS, because Microsoft truly believed that consumers would be interested in this stuff. And now, that folder is going away, signaling an end to the giant mixed reality push. The change showed up in yesterday's Windows 10 Insider Preview build (via Windows Latest), which was build 21322.

Sadly, Microsoft's mixed reality plans never took off, at least from a consumer perspective. In the enterprise, customers have found some important use cases for it, as we've seen from products like HoloLens 2 and newer Windows Mixed Reality headsets that are aimed squarely at businesses. But for things like Paint 3D and using the Windows Mixed Reality shell in Windows 10, it turned out that it didn't have the future with consumers that Microsoft thought it would.

• By indospot
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 20H2 hits 20%, version 2004 still the most used
      by João Carrasqueira

As we near the end of February, AdDuplex has released its latest monthly report on the usage share of different versions of Windows 10. As always, the report is based on data collected from 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that are using the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher. Around 80,000 PCs were surveyed, and the data was collected throughout February 24.

As more time passes from the release of Windows 10 version 20H2, the update is spreading to more users, and it grew by about 3.2% to reach 20% usage share. That's a nearly identical growth to what we saw last month, but it also means version 20H2 is spreading more slowly than version 1909 did a year ago. In February 2020, that update was already on 22.6% of Windows 10 devices.

In fact, version 1909 remains ahead of version 20H2 right now, with 26.8% of Windows 10 users still running that version, though this is a significant drop from the 31.2% usage share it had last month. The most used version is still with May 2020 Update, or version 2004, which even increased its usage share from 39.8% to 41.8%.

Older versions of Windows 10 only saw very slight changes in their usage share. The May 2019 Update (version 1903) dropped from 6.6% to 5.8%, and versions 1809 and 1803 both dropped a decimal point to 1.4% and 1.7%, respectively. Versions prior to that also dropped by 0.1% collectively, with Insiders conversely growing by 0.1% to reach 0.3%.

Looking at the data trends from the past few years, it's evident that version 20H2 is taking slightly longer to expand its market share than past releases have, but it's not a drastic difference. It should continue to grow steadily until version 21H1 is released in the next couple of months.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 19042.844 with tons of fixes
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft is releasing a new cumulative update for those that are on Windows 10 version 20H2 or 2004, which are currently the newest versions of the OS. This is considered to be a "C" week release (even though it's actually the D week), which means that it's optional. When you check for updates in Windows Update, you'll be given the option to take this update.

The update that you're going to get is KB4601382, and it brings the build number to 19042.844 or 19041.844, depending on if you're on version 20H2 or 2004, respectively. You can manually download it here, and these are the highlights:

Here's the full list of fixes:

There's also one other fix, which is exclusive to 20H2:

There are also two known issues to be aware of:

Symptoms Workaround System and user certificates might be lost when updating a device from Windows 10, version 1809 or later to a later version of Windows 10. Devices will only be impacted if they have already installed any Latest cumulative update (LCU) released September 16, 2020 or later and then proceed to update to a later version of Windows 10 from media or an installation source which does not have an LCU released October 13, 2020 or later integrated. This primarily happens when managed devices are updated using outdated bundles or media through an update management tool such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. This might also happen when using outdated physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.

Note Devices using Windows Update for Business or that connect directly to Windows Update are not impacted. Any device connecting to Windows Update should always receive the latest versions of the feature update, including the latest LCU, without any extra steps.

If you have already encountered this issue on your device, you can mitigate it within the uninstall window by going back to your previous version of Windows using the instructions here. The uninstall window might be 10 or 30 days depending on the configuration of your environment and the version you’re updating to. You will then need to update to the later version of Windows 10 after the issue is resolved in your environment.

Note Within the uninstall window, you can increase the number of days you have to go back to your previous version of Windows 10 by using the DISM command /Set-OSUninstallWindow. You must make this change before the default uninstall window has lapsed. For more information, see DISM operating system uninstall command-line options.

We are working on a resolution and will provide updated bundles and refreshed media in the coming weeks.

When using the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not get the correct Furigana characters. You might need to enter the Furigana characters manually.

Note The affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
      It's worth noting that Windows 10 version 21H1 is coming soon, and that's going to be an enablement package just like 20H2 was. That means that in a few months when 21H1 is out and version 1909 is no longer supported, all supported versions of Windows 10 will actually get the same updates.

As mentioned earlier, this update will arrive via Windows Update. If you choose not to take it, the fixes will be bundled into next month's Patch Tuesday update.

• By indospot
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21322 with a bunch of fixes
      by João Carrasqueira

After a couple of Friday builds in the last two weeks, Microsoft is finally back on its typical Wednesday schedule for new Windows 10 builds in the Dev channel, and today, we're getting build 21322. This build comes from an active development branch that isn't tied to a specific Windows 10 update, but this time, there are no new features.

Just like most builds, though, there is a list of smaller improvements, fixes, and known issues, which you might want to check out before getting the update. First off, there are some changes, including a reversion of some new touch keyboard features due to some issues:

Next up, there's a decently long list of fixes, though there are fewer items than we've seen in the last couple of builds:

Finally, there are some known issues, and the list is still pretty extensive here:

Microsoft has also noted that some updates have been made to the Feedback Hub so that Insiders can both upvote feedback and add similar feedback to it for all categories. This should help bring each piece of feedback more attention while also providing more details on the problem or suggestion mentioned.

Since we had a shorter period between build releases this time around, it's not surprising to see fewer changes than usual and no new features at all. As we said at the start, this build isn't tied to a specific Windows 10 feature update, but at the earliest, the features in development now will show up in the 21H2 update, coming in the second half of the year. There's still quite a bit of time for features to be added and changes to be made.

• By Rich Woods
      Samsung reportedly releasing an Exynos-powered Windows 10 PC this year
      by Rich Woods

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Samsung is no stranger to making Windows on ARM PCs, releasing devices for the most recent two generations of Qualcomm's Snapdragon Compute Platforms. But while Windows on ARM is referred to by some as Windows on Snapdragon, that phrase might not be accurate soon, as Samsung might just be working on a laptop that uses its own processor.

The report comes out of ZDNet Korea (via SamMobile), and it claims that Samsung is going to release an Exynos-powered laptop this year. It's going to come with an Exynos 2200 chipset, and even more interestingly, an AMD GPU.

Samsung and AMD have both confirmed that they were working together on a new chipset. The going assumption and rumor was that that chipset was going to be for an upcoming version of the Galaxy Z Fold. As it turns out, the two firms have completely different ambitions in mind.

As it stands right now, the only officially supported ARM processors for Windows 10 are made by Qualcomm. The only other chip vendor that's making ARM processors for PCs, obviously, is Apple, which is transitioning its Mac lineup to its custom SoCs. Indeed, compared to just a few years ago, there's a ton of competition for Intel, which is the market incumbent. AMD's Ryzen processors are better than ever, and this is the first time in years that a new architecture is supported by Windows. It would seem that Samsung is set to become another competitor for Intel.

The new Exynos-powered PC is set to arrive this year, and according to the report, it should show up in the third quarter. It's unclear, however, if Samsung is going to push the same value proposition as other ARM chip-makers. Apple is boasting performance and battery life, while Qualcomm champions its integrated cellular connectivity and fanless designs. With an AMD GPU, it's possible that Samsung could go for power.