Actual hardware requirements to get Windows 10 to run decent?

According to Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

It's very low end at just a 1ghz cpu, 2gb ram, and 16gb hdd.  But what it the actual real life specs needed in order for it to run decently?  I have a old dell vostro 1500 that is a c2d 1.4ghz with 4gb ram in it and I trying to figure out how win10 would run on it.

Just now, #Michael said:

According to Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

It's very low end at just a 1ghz cpu, 2gb ram, and 16gb hdd.  But what it the actual real life specs needed in order for it to run decently?  I have a old dell vostro 1500 that is a c2d 1.4ghz with 4gb ram in it and I trying to figure out how win10 would run on it.

C2Ds are fine; the 4GB is fine.  The real issue will be the GPU and platter drive - you'll want DDR3, if not GDDR5 attached to a discrete GPU - either AMD HD55xx (Mobility OR non-Mobility) or R7 or above at minimum (or nVidia Fermi or above) along with an SATA-II or above platter drive with 250GB or greater capacity.  Still, G3258 got me into the higher end of DX11 (even though the discrete GPU I have is, in fact, carryover - nV GTX550Ti)

Hello,

While they do run Windows 10, I've found it's performance to be unimpressive on my 2004-vintage ThinkPad T42 and 2005-vintage ThinkPad T43p.  Both machines have 2GB of RAM and SSDs (PATA on the T42, SATA on the T43p).  A 2010 vintage ThinkPad X100e netbook with 4GB of RAM and a SSD didn't fare much better; this was the original model with a single core AMD Athlon MV-40 CPU.

On the other hand, I have run Windows 10 on two systems from 2007, a ThinkPad X61t (4GB, SSD) and T61p (8GB, SSD), and the performance was good enough for basic usage (web browsing, Office, etc.).

I think that with the dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM the Dell Vostro 1500 will be fine for daily usage, assuming you upgrade to a SSD as well.  You might want to see if a faster CPU is available, and if it will take 8GB of RAM, and consider these if they are inexpensive upgrades.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

38 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

While they do run Windows 10, I've found it's performance to be unimpressive on my 2004-vintage ThinkPad T42 and 2005-vintage ThinkPad T43p.  Both machines have 2GB of RAM and SSDs (PATA on the T42, SATA on the T43p).  A 2010 vintage ThinkPad X100e netbook with 4GB of RAM and a SSD didn't fare much better; this was the original model with a single core AMD Athlon MV-40 CPU.

On the other hand, I have run Windows 10 on two systems from 2007, a ThinkPad X61t (4GB, SSD) and T61p (8GB, SSD), and the performance was good enough for basic usage (web browsing, Office, etc.).

I think that with the dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM the Dell Vostro 1500 will be fine for daily usage, assuming you upgrade to a SSD as well.  You might want to see if a faster CPU is available, and if it will take 8GB of RAM, and consider these if they are inexpensive upgrades.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Im surprised with the X61t/T61p  were not quite up to regular use mate, my X201 manages windows 10 a dream, with a ssd (stuck at sata2) and 8Gb ram, it is an early core i7 ulv mind you. Centrino era. In fact id go as far to say it runs W10 better than it did W7.

12 hours ago, PGHammer said:

C2Ds are fine; the 4GB is fine.  The real issue will be the GPU and platter drive - you'll want DDR3, if not GDDR5 attached to a discrete GPU - either AMD HD55xx (Mobility OR non-Mobility) or R7 or above at minimum (or nVidia Fermi or above) along with an SATA-II or above platter drive with 250GB or greater capacity.  Still, G3258 got me into the higher end of DX11 (even though the discrete GPU I have is, in fact, carryover - nV GTX550Ti)

You do realize that the vostro 1500 is a laptop and cannot be upgraded.  The hard drive is a sata-2 7200rpm 500gb.  It has built-in crappy intel graphics.  It has on it windows 7 pro that runs okay but I am trying to figure out if it will run better with win10 or stay with win7.

15 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

If it runs 7 it will run 10 without issues.

Erm not quite the truth my friends wife's PC in an AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+ it runs windows 7 x64 perfectly fine try to install windows 10 x64 pro on it and you get the error msg "That it's not compatible with the CPU" nothing else said no other reason just that and nothing saying why it's not compatible 

• Like 3

One of my clients bought a new desktop and gave me the old one to donate.  It was a C2D w/ 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD.

I installed Win10, and Office 2010 - it runs nicely for browsing, Office apps, even watching a movie.   

I cant speak for anything system-straining - but as far as what most people do on a computer - that hardware runs just fine - no worries.

20 hours ago, Mando said:

Im surprised with the X61t/T61p  were not quite up to regular use mate, my X201 manages windows 10 a dream, with a ssd (stuck at sata2) and 8Gb ram, it is an early core i7 ulv mind you. Centrino era. In fact id go as far to say it runs W10 better than it did W7.

T61 is pretty ancient - so I too am surprised it would be OK.   Man that was a great laptop!

1 hour ago, Athlonite said:

Erm not quite the truth my friends wife's PC in an AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+ it runs windows 7 x64 perfectly fine try to install windows 10 x64 pro on it and you get the error msg "That it's not compatible with the CPU" nothing else said no other reason just that and nothing saying why it's not compatible 

That's a little odd, pretty sure that's the proc that was in my neighbors machine I set up.  (Well, maybe not same speed, but same arch.)

2 hours ago, Athlonite said:

MS removed some software support that made up for some extensions they lack in windows 8.1. Windows 7,8 should be fine, I've also read 32bit 8.1 might work, but for 10 your out of luck. I would stick to what you have drivers for :/

4 hours ago, T3X4S said:

T61 is pretty ancient - so I too am surprised it would be OK.   Man that was a great laptop!

the old IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad series were a class above anything else. My X201 is my old work machine that I refused to kill off, has been thru the wars but hardly a scratch, man IBM knew how to build rugged kit.

20 hours ago, #Michael said:

You do realize that the vostro 1500 is a laptop and cannot be upgraded.  The hard drive is a sata-2 7200rpm 500gb.  It has built-in crappy intel graphics.  It has on it windows 7 pro that runs okay but I am trying to figure out if it will run better with win10 or stay with win7.

chuck in a cheap 60Gb SSD and up the ram to at least 4gb ram (if not allready at 4), and 10 will be fine. ipgu is fine for 10. 

4 hours ago, Athlonite said:

Sorry, guess I should have said performance wise there really is no drop off going from 7 to 10...not necessarily hardware support.  Your wife's friend CPU lacks support for CMPXCHG16b instructions so it wouldn't run 64-bit 8x or 10 ... but it'll run the 32-bit versions.

Hello,

I suspect they could handle far more challenging tasks than those, but I haven't had anything more challenging to put them to, aside from testing builds of my employer's software, which is usually more I/O than CPU intensive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 1/23/2016 at 4:20 AM, Mando said:

I'm surprised with the X61t/T61p  were not quite up to regular use mate, my X201 manages windows 10 a dream, with a SSD (stuck at sata2) and 8Gb ram, it is an early core i7 ulv mind you. Centrino era. In fact id go as far to say it runs W10 better than it did W7.

21 hours ago, Pishaw said:

I've got a Dell Studio 1737 C2D with 4 gigs ram. Recently put an SSD in the open bay. Windows 10 boots from cold in like 8 seconds and it runs better than ever.

yep best thing you can do to any laptop imo, even on sata 1 or 2 tbh, still way quicker than any platter drive.

lower sys temps, longer battery life, quicker boot, snappier feel in windows, only odd thing is, i swear i can still hear spinning platters when HDD LED flickers :p lol

4 hours ago, Pishaw said:

And, I got a great deal on the Samsung 850 EVO. So I now have a gig of on board storage. I bought this thing in 2009, and I like it better than ever.

TB of local storage. Not gig. Sorry.

with MSFT shutting down new hardware support for win 7 and 8, people in some cases will have to upgrade their desktop and laptops to updated.

31 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

with MSFT shutting down new hardware support for win 7 and 8, people in some cases will have to upgrade their desktop and laptops to updated.

That doesn't even make sense. Nothing MS announced affects existing hardware. In fact, the whole announcement was non news. MS has NEVER updated legacy OSes to support upcoming hardware features. 

• Like 2

well the article posted here at Neowin within the last week stated MSFT put out it will not support new hardware on Windows 7 and 8. So the push is to bring everyone to Windows 10. I'll keep my OEM windows 8.1 due to the drivers designed for my system and have a USB key with an esd to usb that rocks.