How to prevent Windows 10 from Automatically installing.

Microsoft has just moved Windows 10 from being an optional update to being a recommended  one.  

On a Windows 7 and Windows 8 System, the Windows 10 setup will start automatically. But you will be asked to confirm the setup process before Windows 10 actually installs.

If you DO NOT want the install to take place, there is a work-around. 

Because the setup of Windows 10 has to be confirmed, I would recommend that when you start to see the setup process, cancel it. Next you should be able to go into Windows Update and hide the Windows 10 recommended update. Of course, it is always possible that  Microsoft might someday  “unhide” your hiding of  the update..

To hide the update, follow the instructions below.  

Windows 7.   

1) Click Start (bottom left)
2) In the Search box, type in Windows Update 

3) At the top of the search box Left click "Windows Update"
4) At the top click “Import update is available”
5) Uncheck the recommended Window 10 upgrade and then right click it and select “Hide update”
6) Press OK

Windows 8.1
If not already on the desktop, left click the desktop tile on the start screen.

1) Right Click the Start button (bottom left) and left click on "Control Panel"
2) On the top right of the control panel where it says "view by",drop it down and make sure it says "Large icons"
3) At the very bottom of the control panel left click "Windows Update" .

4) At the top, click “Import update is available”
5) Uncheck the recommended Window 10 upgrade and then right click it and select “Hide update”
6) Press OK.

4 hours ago, warwagon said:

Microsoft has just moved Windows 10 from being an optional update to being a recommended one.

This means that on a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 system, Windows 10 will be automatically installed with no user interaction. Go to bed with Windows 7, wake up with Windows 10.

On Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 here is fix which should prevent it from happening.

24759323676_9b111c966f_c.jpg

Windows 7.

1) Click Start (bottom left)

2) in the Search box type in Windows Update

3) Left Click Windows Update in the search results above

4) On the left hand side of Windows Update select "Change settings"

5) Uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important ones"

6) Press ok

Windows 8.1

If not already on the desktop, left click the desktop tile on the start screen

1) Right Click the Start button (bottom left) and left click on "Control Panel"

2) On the top right of the control panel were it says "view by" drop it down and make sure it says "Large icons"

3) At the very bottom of the control panel left click "Windows Update"

4) On the left hand side of Windows update select "Change settings"

5) Uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important ones"

4) Press ok

Automatically install and automatically download and launch installer are two different things. Windows 10 is not an unattended install which means user input is required to actually install and it is not automatic as you said. 

MS said as much themselves that user interaction is required to install. 

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v DisableGWX /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableOSUpgrade /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AllowOSUpgrade /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v ReservationsAllowed /d 0 /f
TASKKILL /IM GWX.exe /T /F

On 2/3/2016 at 10:15 AM, adrynalyne said:

Automatically install and automatically download and launch installer are two different things. Windows 10 is not an unattended install which means user input is required to actually install and it is not automatic as you said. 

MS said as much themselves that user interaction is required to install. 

Do they require user interaction before automatically downloading 6 GB of useless junk  installation files?

" On a Windows 7 and Windows 8 System, Windows 10 will be automatically installed. But you will asked to confirm the setup process before Windows 10 actually installs. "

What does that even mean, you first say it will be automatically installed, but then your very next sentence is you will be asked to confirm the setup process before it actually installs. So which is it?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Does GWX Control Panel have an automatic update build in?

So far as I can tell, it has only blocked, and removed files associated with win 10, as for anything else windows update related, I cannot say for sure, but windows does update, even with gwx control panel running.

6 minutes ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

So far as I can tell, it has only blocked, and removed files associated with win 10, as for anything else windows update related, I cannot say for sure, but windows does update, even with gwx control panel running.

No I mean does GWX control panel automatically update itself when a new version is released?

If your concern is about the privacy settings/issues within Windows 10, then I suggest you look at this video to know how to de-cruft your installation

and the app he uses in the video, has no adware or other junk: Spybot beacon

But after using 90% of his video tactics, I noticed a measurable performance boost, probably from the P2P service that allows others to use my bandwidth on the net to download update data from my system. I also deleted those services that we really don't need. I even shutdown cortana. I can still use the search functionality but, I want my privacy. 

22 minutes ago, warwagon said:

No I mean does GWX control panel automatically update itself when a new version is released?

Oh, don't know, sorry, but I'm still on 7 so the 'first steps' towards updating to 10 as they were, are blocked.

There sure is a massive push to put people on 10. a couple weeks ago or within that 2 week period, there was a report here that, stated MSFT will stop hardware support for Windows 7 and 8. Does this include 8.1? probably.

So best we can do is  use spybot beacon and delete services in the video above to close up the privacy leaks.

GWX Control Panel publishes updates for fixes or when the Windows 10 upgrade notice procedures have changed. The updates are not automatic, one must download the newest release if procedures have changed. It basically saves one from having to manually enter reg changes. The panel is customizable and one can revert changes when ready to install Windows 10. I have used it on Win 7 and Win 8.* with no issues, the program is handy when a machine is not ready or not capable to upgrade to Win 10.

GWX Control Panel really works, is safe and easy to use, and gives you the option to re-enable the icon and upgrade notifications if you're ever ready to move forward with Windows 10.

Why GWX Control Panel is better than other solutions:
Some methods are only temporary fixes. They make the app go away until you restart Windows, or maybe until you do another Windows Update, but they don't truly stop the Get Windows 10 app from bothering you- they just postpone it.

Some methods are unsafe (especially the ones that involve you disabling Windows Update).

Some methods have potential to result in unexpected or undesired behavior if you're not completely sure what you're doing or if you apply a change to the wrong files or folders.

And some just went way beyond what was truly necessary to keep the Get Windows 10 app from bothering you.

GWX Control Panel doesn't do anything special. It's just simple and safe, and it works.

GWX Control Panel is a standalone executable, doesn't require to be installed.

GWX Control Panel is digitally signed.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6756-.html

There are many reviews online so that one can make an informed choice, all I can say is that it has worked when I required it on  particular machines.

:)

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

There sure is a massive push to put people on 10. a couple weeks ago or within that 2 week period, there was a report here that, stated MSFT will stop hardware support for Windows 7 and 8. Does this include 8.1? probably.

So best we can do is  use spybot beacon and delete services in the video above to close up the privacy leaks.

Chris, it's not my place to question you, but wasn't 7 supposed to be supported for another 6 years?

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

Microsoft just doesn't want to support new technologie on platforms that where designed 10 and 7 years ago (7 and 8.x respectively). That doesn't mean that these OS's don't work anymore on Skylake and any future SoC, just that Microsoft isn't going to provide official support.

And for the privacy leaks, no need to "close" them, there isn't anything open.

2 hours ago, john_alex said:

Do they require user interaction before automatically downloading 6 GB of useless junk  installation files?

Irrelevant to what I was discussing. 

1 minute ago, Studio384 said:

And for the privacy leaks, no need to "close" them, there isn't anything open.

5 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

More people should read the EULA heh. Ignorance is no excuse. Everyone who has read the EULA knows the OS talks to MS. 

1 hour ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

Chris, it's not my place to question you, but wasn't 7 supposed to be supported for another 6 years?

I was under that impression. But it seems that Microsoft is changing the game plan. Skylake and Later Will Be Withheld Windows 7 / 8.x Support this falls along the lines of Microsoft not supporting hardware changes. Sorry, it was from Jan 16th. Microsoft will not support older Windows versions on upcoming PC hardware  . This article took me pages of old news to find

What I'm taking from this is that, they are looking to push people on to 10. Aheer, I would agree with you about the length of support. But I'll stick with the neowin article since I trust Neowin and their news reporters. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

More people should read the EULA heh. Ignorance is no excuse. Everyone who has read the EULA knows the OS talks to MS. 

nothing wrong with installing the OS but locking the doors to your house so to speak.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I've had only 1 customer who read the Windows 10 EULA. Afterwards she didn't want to touch windows 10 with a 10 foot pole.

37 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I've had only 1 customer who read the Windows 10 EULA. Afterwards she didn't want to touch windows 10 with a 10 foot pole.

I can respect that a whole lot more than those who do not and come up with crazy claims they should have known about.