Suggestion needed for home lab

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a custom desktop for my home lab. Below are the configurations that I am planning to buy

Processor       =       i7 5820k

Motherboard =       Gigabyte x99 SLI

RAM                 =       Corsair 2133 8GB card * 8 = 64GB

SMPS               =        Cooler Master 750 W

My aim is to install Windows 7 x64 ; then install VMware Workstation and run multiple machines. 

Will this configuration support esxi 6 and Hyper V 2012.?

Is 750W SMPS good enough ? or should I choose 850W?

Thanks

Vaibhav

I'm a little biased but why not just install Hyper-V and be done with it? Seems a bit of a faff to install workstation to run ESXi inside to run more VMs?

Yeah don't really get the nested??  Why not just run esxi directly on the hardware or sure Hyper-V??

As to supported - you can run on a lot less hardware than that, all comes down to how many vms you want to run all at once, and what exactly those vms will be doing and how fast you want them to do it..

My main desktop is used for gaming while running my media server and test VMs in the background in Hyper-V. This is with Windows 10 as the host. Specs are in my signature, but sure that processor and memory will do fine.

As said will depend on how many VM's you want to run

a few fine

a hundred well might start to push it lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2016 at 6:01 AM, BudMan said:

Yeah don't really get the nested??  Why not just run esxi directly on the hardware or sure Hyper-V??

As to supported - you can run on a lot less hardware than that, all comes down to how many vms you want to run all at once, and what exactly those vms will be doing and how fast you want them to do it..

Because with nested hyper visors you can practice setting up a cluster with shared storage without having to get all the equipment to do so.  Well, that's the reason I did it.  Had a three node ESXi 5.x cluster with all the bells and whistles running on my desktop.

40 minutes ago, c.grz said:

Because with nested hyper visors you can practice setting up a cluster with shared storage without having to get all the equipment to do so.  Well, that's the reason I did it.  Had a three node ESXi 5.x cluster with all the bells and whistles running on my desktop.

Get hold of Server 2016? That offers support for Nested Hyper-Visors now I believe.

12 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Get hold of Server 2016? That offers support for Nested Hyper-Visors now I believe.

You can do it in Windows 10 as well.