"Wolverine 3" Targeting R Rating

20th Century Fox revealed at Toy Fair 2016 that they would be targeting an R-rating for Hugh Jackman's final run as Wolverine next year.

This news follows the massive success of Fox's first R-rated standalone super hero movie, as Deadpool absolutely killed the box office this weekend. They previously dabbled with R-rated comic book movies earlier in 2015 with Kingsman: The Secret Service, which also turned out to be a surprise hit, though not as big a success as the world's new favorite merc.

The news comes from a pamphlet or catalog Fox supposedly handed out to guests at their Toy Fair presentation that an imgur user posted online. The logo for Wolverine 3 is featured above the theatrical release date, home entertainment release date, and anticipated MPAA rating. See it below.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/16/wolverine-3-targeting-r-rating/

Unfortunately it's just "R rated because Deadpool was R rated and that's obviously what made it a success"

I mean I'll probably enjoy it anyway, but it's not going to be good or "better" just because it's R rated....

59 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Can't believe Jackman won't be Wolverine any more.  I just can't picture anyone else in that role.  

Sadly, unlike Wolverine, regular humans age and can't take the pace any more.  Besides, he's probably bored.  Would you rather he phone in the role, like Robert Downey Jr has started to do?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Sadly, unlike Wolverine, regular humans age and can't take the pace any more.  Besides, he's probably bored.  Would you rather he phone in the role, like Robert Downey Jr has started to do?

Yes, I want him to keep playing Wolverine forever. 

• Like 3

Jack has done a great wolverine, but I don't see him as unreplaceable. heck I see him as far more rpelaceable than RDJ's Iron Man. 

he's mostly the looks, but other than that's he's fairly anonymous. the first movie with another Wolverine will be weird, sure, but I don't discount the possibility that it might be much better as well. 

Making this a R movie opens it up to so much more, it's not just because deadpool was an R, it's just that with it's big success as an R rated comic book movie, now the people working on others at fox are asking for the green light to do a R rating as well. Thank god to, how much better would the past xmen movies have been if we got an R rated version?

It's about time studios got a clue and figured out that the majority of the target audience for these comic flicks are adults over 21 and not 12 year olds.

Wolverine works much better as an "R" movie. The last wolverine movie felt like it should of been an "R", and I think the unrated version of it would of been an "R" film.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George P said:

Making this a R movie opens it up to so much more, it's not just because deadpool was an R, it's just that with it's big success as an R rated comic book movie, now the people working on others at fox are asking for the green light to do a R rating as well. Thank god to, how much better would the past xmen movies have been if we got an R rated version?

It's about time studios got a clue and figured out that the majority of the target audience for these comic flicks are adults over 21 and not 12 year olds.

It most likely got an R simply because of Deadpool. other directors started to predict this would happen two days ago, said that Hollywood would as usual be taking the wrong lessons from Deadpools success. this among the main one of them. 

The timing here is way to "coincidental" for this not to be a kneejerk  "Wow, deadpool did great and it's R rated, we must be R rated to" reaction

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Unfortunately it's just "R rated because Deadpool was R rated and that's obviously what made it a success"

I mean I'll probably enjoy it anyway, but it's not going to be good or "better" just because it's R rated....

Deadpool was barely R rated. It should have been Nc-17.

12 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

Deadpool was barely R rated. It should have been Nc-17.

Wel American ratings are crazy. Limbs chopped off, ok, head decapitations and lots of blood and gore, ok, mass murder, sure. he said the F word... OMG R RATING!!!

9 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Wel American ratings are crazy. Limbs chopped off, ok, head decapitations and lots of blood and gore, ok, mass murder, sure. he said the F word... OMG R RATING!!!

Don't forget, if a nipple is shown it will get an NC-17 rating... don't worry most people who live here think it's a mess as well, but the Bible Belt pushes anything related to sex into the "R" rating. Meanwhile, everyone in the Bible Belt still somehow manages to have torrid love affairs, airport sex, gay lovers and a crap-ton of other stuff that goes against what they preach, but they'll be damned if the kids can see a nipple or hear the word ###### <- see what I mean? Source, grew up in the south and got to see it all first hand, yea?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The sex scenes and butt stuff was what got the R rating.

26 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

All I am saying as a parent I would not bring my kids to see this. When we went to the movie there were kids definitely under 10 in the theater.

It's not out yet??

9 hours ago, ctebah said:

Can't believe Jackman won't be Wolverine any more.  I just can't picture anyone else in that role.  

I can - while he played Logan well, Jackman was never a particularly good match for the character. Wolverine is 5'1", for one thing. I've accepted Hugh as Logan because finding a short actor who looked right and had the right prescence for the character would have been very difficult. While he wasn't a good physical match, he had the right presence for Wolvie. Besides, he was far from the worst fit to a character in the X-Men films - that would be Storm.

But ultimately, Wolverine is one of my least favorite comic characters, so I wasn't too concerned about who they cast.

Maybe with Jackman gone, they'll shift the spotlight to some of the other, more interesting X-Men?

On 2/17/2016 at 4:19 PM, HawkMan said:

It most likely got an R simply because of Deadpool. other directors started to predict this would happen two days ago, said that Hollywood would as usual be taking the wrong lessons from Deadpools success. this among the main one of them. 

The timing here is way to "coincidental" for this not to be a kneejerk  "Wow, deadpool did great and it's R rated, we must be R rated to" reaction

I don't see this as a mistake,  wolverine needs to have a R rating period,  deadpools success just shows them that having a R rating isn't going to hurt you at the box office. 

• Like 2

On 17.2.2016 at 5:46 PM, Gotenks98 said:

All I am saying as a parent I would not bring my kids to see this. When we went to the movie there were kids definitely under 10 in the theater.

because of violence, swearing or nudity ?

There really can't be a tame wolverine movie, if you want to be true to the source material like they did with deadpool, which is why it is so good, then you need a pretty bloody and violent version, just look at the comics, there's guys getting claws to the neck and stuff, R all thy way and watch the money come in.

What made Deadpool work wasn't the R rating, it was the fact that they gave them a smaller budget and in turn pretty much let them make the movie they wanted to make, and R rating was essential to that vision. So if R rating is somewhat essential to the new Wolverine, then I'm all for it, but it just looks like a bunch of idiotic executives saw that Deadpool made an enormous amount of money, and are now trying to replicate the success formula, like they always do. I wouldn't be surprised if they start cutting budgets, too, since "it worked for Deadpool!"

I honestly think this could backfire on them. Deadpool was something new and was marketed from the start as being very different and not-for-kids. Wolverine was a part of six PG-13 movies and is established as "safe" for most of the younger audience and their parents.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syanide said:

What made Deadpool work wasn't the R rating, it was the fact that they gave them a smaller budget and in turn pretty much let them make the movie they wanted to make, and R rating was essential to that vision. So if R rating is somewhat essential to the new Wolverine, then I'm all for it, but it just looks like a bunch of idiotic executives saw that Deadpool made an enormous amount of money, and are now trying to replicate the success formula, like they always do. I wouldn't be surprised if they start cutting budgets, too, since "it worked for Deadpool!"

I honestly think this could backfire on them. Deadpool was something new and was marketed from the start as being very different and not-for-kids. Wolverine was a part of six PG-13 movies and is established as "safe" for most of the younger audience and their parents.

Deadpool only works because of the R rating itself, a PG-13 version would be silly, they never Would have bothered to make it if they didn't get the green light for a hard R. And there is a difference from just a R and what some call a hard R.

The 2nd wolverine movie could have been a R to if they bothered to add any sort of realistic blood spray, yet with all the people getting stabbed and I don't remember seeing a drop hit the floor.