LG G Watch now in the Bargain bin.

24459672834_56a6a5e837_c.jpg

I recently ordered the LG G watch from Amazon for a pretty low price of $89 free shipping. I've never really been happy with my Moto 360 that I got only 1 year 6 months go. Battery was never great, horrible even. It lagged pretty bad from the 4 year old slow CPU and notifications sometimes wouldn't show up.

Just recently my 360 would just shut off. Turns out upon looking on the internet that the battery is probably starting to swell inside the watch which is also causing discoloration on the screen. I contacted Motorola and they want $100 to fix it.

Someday I might have it fixed or I might try taking it apart. I watched the ifixit guide and it's not the easier. On the other hand when looking up this watch, I looked at the ifixit guide for the LG G watch. You remove 4 screws from the back and presto!

24722623429_55285f16ed_o.jpg

It's got a Snapdragon 400 CPU , so far I've noticed it much faster than my Moto 360 (which had an old 4 year old cpu) and no lag like the 360.

Because it has a physical connection to the magnetic charging dock (unlike the wireless charging on the Moto 360) you can connect the watch to your computer via USB and send ADB commands to it. (Flash custom roms and install a custom recovery).

Plus, it also has a push pin reset button on the back which easily allows you to put the watch into Fastboot mode.

As far as the battery life, I haven't tested it a full day yet, so we shall see. Should do pretty good as it has a bigger battery than the 360 too. While the watch isn't as nice looking as the 360, I think a square screen makes more sense than a round one. You can see more information.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-G-Watch-White/dp/B00LGJ8Y5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455730787&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+g+watch

'

$89? Hmm, that's impulse buy. I'm using a Pebble Time, and I find it handy for just having notifications on my wrist. I do like that my Time gets amazing battery life (battery life lasts easily 3-5 days!). I'm curious as to how Android Wear would be different than a Pebble Time. 

35 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

$89? Hmm, that's impulse buy. I'm using a Pebble Time, and I find it handy for just having notifications on my wrist. I do like that my Time gets amazing battery life (battery life lasts easily 3-5 days!). I'm curious as to how Android Wear would be different than a Pebble Time. 

Only difference would be you don't have to use the buttons all the time. Just swipe!. So that part is nice. I really have no problem as long as it gets me through 1 day. Just take it off and plop it on the charger. It's not like I wear the watch to bed :D

13 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Only difference would be you don't have to use the buttons all the time. Just swipe!. So that part is nice. I really have no problem as long as it gets me through 1 day. Just take it off and plop it on the charger. It's not like I wear the watch to bed :D

For a watch, I don't have a preference of touchscreen vs. buttons. I've never used a touchscreen watch, so I can't really say for sure. I do wear my PT to bed, because it does do sleep tracking :) I tend to charge it when I'm in the shower or sitting at my desk, and it charges very quickly. Either way, I may end up picking this up just to see what Android Wear offers.

23 minutes ago, warwagon said:

8:30am til 5:07pm (9 hours) 85% battery left. Coming from a Moto G 360, that's Crazy talk!

You must have had a bad 360. my usage below. 

(Today) 7am to 11:31pm and still have 21% battery. that is with, email, moto body, football scores and twitter up dates all day long.

normal day 7 to 6pm, then 1 hour in gym using it with spotify and my blutooth headset still has about 35% - 45% left. 

20 hours ago, TheReaperMan said:

You must have had a bad 360. my usage below. 

(Today) 7am to 11:31pm and still have 21% battery. that is with, email, moto body, football scores and twitter up dates all day long.

normal day 7 to 6pm, then 1 hour in gym using it with spotify and my blutooth headset still has about 35% - 45% left. 

I'm guessing you have some aggressive battery saving. with black screen when not up in read position? 

Anyway, I'm not sure I would suggest getting the original G watch. granted this is very cheap though. but it's pretty deprecated and lacks some features. I'm also not sure it has an *oled like the G Watch R and Urbane. So it doesn't last as long with either an always on dark face or a good ambient face. I also don't think the original g watch has a HR sensor.

I got an urbane for xmas, and even with an always on face I can get over a full days worth, but I usually use one set with a nice ambient watch face. before I always preferred square faces because they seemed more practical, but after seeing the urbane I found the one smartwatch that could replace my Seiko. Granted the Huawei watch is nicer and in some minor ways better, but it's also significantly more expensive, over here, close enough to double that I'll say double the price. and in my mind isn't worth the price hike unless you have a lot of money and nothing else to spend it on. 

The R and Urbane also have WiFi, which is somewhat useful, though I'm not sure I use it much... 

overall smartwatches are really nice, quick access to notifications and you can use feedly to discreetly browse tech news and such. personally, I find some sort of always on to be a minimum demand. I don't want to have to want my hand or touch it to see the time. It's also nice to have endomondo important info right on your wrist when using it(though if you're also using BT headsets you probably don't want to as they seem to fight a bit over the BT and one or the other crashes) 

Then there's the simple stuff like setting the phone to Do not disturb right from you watch to just using ok google on your watch to set a alarm for your post afternoon nap :p

If you buy them because they seem cool or think they're mostly a useless gimick, you'll quickly find them useful once you have them. if you have an android, I do suggest getting an android Wear powered watch over samsung's Tizen though, as you'll get one that's fully supported by android/google and can use the full android wear ecosystem and not just Samsuns ecosystem. 

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm guessing you have some aggressive battery saving. with black screen when not up in read position? 

I like black watch faces to save on battery. I also turn off the always on screen. Seems dumb for the screen always to be on sucking battery, when it will turn the screen on automatically when you raise your wrist to look at your watch.

Sure other watches support wifi, like my moto 360, but it feels like just one more thing to suck battery, while useful, not all that important to me.

I just want a watch that is cheap, gets great battery life and shows me notification. In that regard the LG G watch works great.

I will say this watch isn't nearly as pretty as the 360, but at the same time it's easy to take a part and change the battery and the square  screen gives you more info and doesn't have to cut off the sides off.

Just now, warwagon said:

Correct. I like black watch faces to save on battery. I also turn off the always on screen. Seems dumb for the screen always to be on sucking battery, when it will turn the screen on automatically when you raise your wrist to look at your watch.

give it time. you'll quickly find that that particular gesture isn't quite that predictable. and it'll stop starting the watch when you want it to unless you do exaggerated gestures. however whenever you're out driving a car it'll keep the damn thing always on :p

anyway, with an oled watch, the ambient screen will barely affect battery power throughout the day. 

besides that, a watch, is as much as it is a useful item/tool also a decorative item, a piece of jewelry. And a nice watchface is part of that. 

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

give it time. you'll quickly find that that particular gesture isn't quite that predictable. and it'll stop starting the watch when you want it to unless you do exaggerated gestures. however whenever you're out driving a car it'll keep the damn thing always on :p

anyway, with an oled watch, the ambient screen will barely affect battery power throughout the day. 

besides that, a watch, is as much as it is a useful item/tool also a decorative item, a piece of jewelry. And a nice watchface is part of that. 

Sure the G R and the Urban are better watches but they are also x2 the price of this watch and in some cases 3x the price. Like the guy above said, for what it does, for what it is, and for only $89 it's an impulse buy.

This is coming for someone who also dropped $230+ for the 360.

I'm also not too worried about style. After all I still have a licence plate cover from Newegg that says "I'd rather be Pimping my PC" :laugh:

true as I said, for the price it's nice, but you should also consider if it's something you'd want to wear all the time, especially knowing it's limitations and the fact it's pretty much been deprecated as far as LG is concerned. 

on the other hand, it would make a nice second watch for exercising and such. (when I'm actually exercising in a gym I don't need the HR monitor anyway as I rather use a chest band, to get actual numbers and on the treadmills when I'm on them).. and if you're just dipping your toes in to see what it's all about and if you want to splurge on an urbane or huawei, it's a good starter. 

23 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

true as I said, for the price it's nice, but you should also consider if it's something you'd want to wear all the time, especially knowing it's limitations and the fact it's pretty much been deprecated as far as LG is concerned.

There is nothing about this watch preventing a person from wearing it all the time. I will say though if you are someone who cares about things looking nice this watch "Might" put some people off, just not me.

The only features important to me are

Battery  Life : I don't care if it can go 2 days, all I want it to do is last from when I wake up to when I go to bed. Then i'll charge it over night for the next day

Notifications : works great for that

Speed :  Hasn't lagged once.

The rest I don't care about in the least. Even the look of it I don't mind. I think the white band helps with the look.

As far as being deprecated.. .at least it's still getting Marshmallow.

13 hours ago, warwagon said:

There is nothing about this watch preventing a person from wearing it all the time. I will say though if you are someone who cares about things looking nice this watch "Might" put some people off, just not me.

Well first you say there is nothing, then you go right to the main problem, especially as I said before, a lot of watch users (most in fact) also consider them "jewelry". in fact that's their very classification. 

granted today everyone and their dog is walking around with ugly silicone wrist bands with or without ugly displays to count their steps because that makes them more fit without doing anything else in their life apparently, so yeah...

me, while I'm not really a very style conscious person, I would have second thoughts about replacing my nice Seiko titanium perpetual calendar with a plastic watch that looks like a cheap casio, but eh...  Then you have the people who buy the 1200 dollar gold urbane which is another class entirely :p  not even going to mention the peopel who walk around with several hundred thousand dollar mechanical watches ;)

I'll give you yesterday's battery numbers.

Put my watch on at 8:10am and took it off at 12am and it was at 66% 

As i'm writing this it's now 10:48pm and i put the watch on around 8am and it's currently at 78%