Which Graphics card with 10-bit output for Photoshop?

As the title indicates - I'm after a graphics card for use with an Exio CX241 monitor. It will be used for Photoshop.

It is to my understanding that to get the best performance from this monitor, I will be needing a card that supports 10-bit output as opposed to just 8-bit.

Firstly, is it worth it to get a graphics card with this ability? Some say it isn't really necessary. Secondly, I believe Photoshop needs 10-bit OpenGL support. I'm guessing the Quadro line supports this. My research so far indicates that cheaper 10-bit cards only support DirectX and not OpenGL like Photoshop needs.

Budget? I haven't a clue as I don't know what I'm looking for. Throw me some options - but at this point I'm reckoning I'll be sticking with a standard run-of-the-mill card.

Actually, there are quite a few GPUs with 10-bit output - both AMD and nVidia have been shipping them,  for average-Joe use, for years.

Every "gamer" GPU since at least 2000 - if not earlier - supports OpenGL AND DirectX because those same GPUs are also used in workstations.  nVidia Quadro and AMD FirePro use the same GPUs their gaming cards do; to a large extent, their drivers can cross over as well (in most Linux distributions, in fact, they completely cross over).  The high-end of Quadro today uses the same Maxwell 2.0 GPUs as the GTX9xx series; where they differ is the amount of GDDR5.

Will the PC in question EVER be used for gaming?  If so, you should seriously consider the GTX970 - not only does it have the horsepower it needs to run DirectX gaming in 4K, it's almost overkill for Photoshop - or AutoCAD/SolidWorks, for that matter

My Radeon 6850 HD offers 8, 10, and 12 bpc options. I currently use the 10 bpc setting because its the highest my display supports.

- There will be no gaming on this machine. Only for photo work.

- The monitor has displayport and is 10-bit compatible.

- Budget? As cheap as possible. This is purely just for the 10-bit functionality.

I understand that DirectX and OpenGL are supported by every graphics card there is but this statement says otherwise:

"With Photoshop, OpenGL buffers are used to support 10 bit per channel color. The problem is that only the Nvidia Quadro and AMD FirePro cards support that feature."

Looking around, it seems like this card is what I need: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-Graphics-Card-NVIDIA-Display/dp/B008RDGWDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455841136&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+quadro+310

34 minutes ago, Max said:

- There will be no gaming on this machine. Only for photo work.

- The monitor has displayport and is 10-bit compatible.

- Budget? As cheap as possible. This is purely just for the 10-bit functionality.

I understand that DirectX and OpenGL are supported by every graphics card there is but this statement says otherwise:

"With Photoshop, OpenGL buffers are used to support 10 bit per channel color. The problem is that only the Nvidia Quadro and AMD FirePro cards support that feature."

Looking around, it seems like this card is what I need: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-Graphics-Card-NVIDIA-Display/dp/B008RDGWDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455841136&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+quadro+310

Hey Max, I have an Nvidia 770M 3GB ram, I do photography myself. does this card push 10-12 bit itself. I wouldn't mind having an external monitor to hook up to this so as to work on my landscape photos. what do you say?

On 19/02/2016 at 0:55 AM, chrisj1968 said:

Hey Max, I have an Nvidia 770M 3GB ram, I do photography myself. does this card push 10-12 bit itself. I wouldn't mind having an external monitor to hook up to this so as to work on my landscape photos. what do you say?

Judging by what I have read, it will output 10-bit colour, but not in Photoshop when editing photos.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3011/~/10-bit-per-color-support-on-nvidia-geforce-gpus