(Rumor) - 3D TV going the way of the Dodo Bird.

A few years ago, Vizio pulled out of the 3D market and now it appears that the two largest manufactures .. Samsung and LG ... will follow suit with Samsung releasing no products with 3D tech this year and LG limiting 3D to their "premium" products.

Reduction of 3D function was predicted before. While UHD has become a major focal point in image contents markets, 3D contents have been receiving lesser attention. In fact, South Korean and foreign broadcasting companies that have been airing 3D programs have started to either reduce or stop those programs sequentially starting from 2013. Excluding some movies, contents that are viewed by 3D TVs are lacking a lot.

It is predicted that slump of 3D TV markets will continue on for significant amount of time. Global market research organizations are also evaluating that 3D TV markets have been a fail since 2013. “3D TV was a fail due to contents, price, and technologies.” said a market research company called IHS through its report. “Fact that people have to wear glasses to watch 3D TVs did not work too well for consumers.”

Source

3 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Good. 3D is a useless gimmick - it makes TV viewing uncomfortable and the devices themselves more expensive.

I'll disagree.  I have 2 devices capable of 3d (tv and projector) both of which I've seen some amazing content (some of which has come very close to movie theater experience).  For the most part after the initial launch of 3d TVs prices did not change when the TV included it or not.  I think what hurt the market the most was the passive/active technology that confused people and caused a huge price difference in the glasses $5 for passive vs $50 for active.  The only benefit I see is my wallet will finally get a break as 3d blurays rarely went on sale.  

I wouldn't be surprised, not one person I know uses the 3D capabilities of their TVs. It's just too much of a faff, people want to just turn on their TVs and watch.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Good. 3D is a useless gimmick - it makes TV viewing uncomfortable and the devices themselves more expensive.

I agree to an extent ... though I can see why some people would like it (immersive experience).  I've seen two movies in 3D ... Christmas Carol (with Jim Carrey) which was a terrible movie regardless of how you viewed it and The Force Awakens.  I saw The Force Awakens at the best theater this city has to offer and I still didn't care for the 3D much.  On my second viewing (in 2D) ... I enjoyed the movie a lot more.  3D, in my opinion, seems out of focus and too dark causing subtle details to be missed.  Just my opinion of course.... though as I stated before I can see why some people would actually enjoy the 3D experience over 2D.  I've never watching a 3D television but couldn't imagine it matching the theater experience....which for me wasn't very good anyway.

5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

They'll never learn. Time and time again they try 3D, and time and time again it fades to the background again. It's a niche, a gimmick.

And for a lot of people, a literal headache. Nobody I know actually likes 3D, because they all get headaches from watching the content. Most actively avoid 3D movies, and I don't think I've ever actually seen my cousins turn on the 3D feature of their TV deliberately. And it gets turned off again immediately.

Until they can achieve 3D without the side-effects, it's not going to catch on.

Never cared for 3D and won't until its possible to experience it without wearing special and expensive glasses.

Ever since LED backlit LCD the only tech I care about re: displays is gsync, OLED, REC.2020, and HDR. 240Hz? 3D? Curved? "Smart" functionality? Barely caused me a passing thought. 

I am still using my first HDTV and only so far HDTV as my main computer display - a 40" Sharp Aquos HDTV. Even after owning it for 4 years I still hate how black does not look black because of backlight glow. I miss my Trinitron CRT where black looked black. So my next major display will be OLED which blows away even that old Trinitron CRT in making black look actually black. Nice inky blacks that are life-like. 

If this curved nonsense takes off too much and the only available displays are curved in a few years when I want to buy OLED though, I will wait until flat ones come out again. 

5 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

If this curved nonsense takes off too much and the only available displays are curved in a few years when I want to buy OLED though, I will wait until flat ones come out again. 

yep, curved TVs should be the next thing to die.

I'm also waiting for a straight up OLED TV to eventually replace my Pioneer Elite plasma.  I just want equal to ... or better than ... display quality that this 7 year old plasma gives me without all the gimmicks.  

For me 3D only works when the picture completely envelopes my view, which for me basically means at a decent cinema.

That's why 3D doesn't work on a TV.

I have an 80" 3D Vizio and while I don't normally enjoy 3D in the theater, the handful of 3D Blu-rays we have are actually pretty nice. Still a bit of a gimmick but the screen is big enough and can be bright enough to make it work.

8 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I have an 80" 3D Vizio and while I don't normally enjoy 3D in the theater, the handful of 3D Blu-rays we have are actually pretty nice. Still a bit of a gimmick but the screen is big enough and can be bright enough to make it work.

That exactly.  3D doesn't work outside of cinemas because the screens are typically way too SMALL.  The two largest-screen TVs in the house are 55" (home theater) and 50" - not coincidentally, both are SAMSUNG SMART TVs.  3D literally demands a screen of at least 65", and most folks don't want that much space eaten by a TV - even an HDTV.

I bought a $5000 65" plasma Panasonic 3D TV when they first came out. Best TV I've ever owned and the 3D is great. However, I've felt for a while now that it's a novelty. Plus with everything going streaming and my losing physical media less and less I am not really watching 3D anymore. Nobody like Amazon, Apple, Hulu, Netflix offer any 3D content which is a shame.

I have several 3D movies on my Plex server and I really enjoy watching them on my Samsung 3D TV, but who needs 3D TVs when we have all the new VR headsets and technologies coming up? I think VR is 3D 2.0, hopefully it will stick this time around.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2016 at 10:54 AM, Zag L. said:

My brother has 65" 3DTV.  3D movies look great on it.  No problems.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:07 AM, PGHammer said:

That exactly.  3D doesn't work outside of cinemas because the screens are typically way too SMALL.  The two largest-screen TVs in the house are 55" (home theater) and 50" - not coincidentally, both are SAMSUNG SMART TVs.  3D literally demands a screen of at least 65", and most folks don't want that much space eaten by a TV - even an HDTV.

Wrong.  You have to research and find the right TV for 3D viewing at home. 

A few TVs have the best 3D viewing.  If it looks crap to you, then you got the wrong one.  Some TVs require you to sit in the middle and straight facing at the TV.  

My brother's TV does not require you to sit in the middle in order to view 3D....  You can view from any angle...  Awesome.

Just wait a few years, there may be some 3D TVs available for you without needing the glasses.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:18 AM, patseguin said:

I bought a $5000 65" plasma Panasonic 3D TV when they first came out. Best TV I've ever owned and the 3D is great. However, I've felt for a while now that it's a novelty. Plus with everything going streaming and my losing physical media less and less I am not really watching 3D anymore. Nobody like Amazon, Apple, Hulu, Netflix offer any 3D content which is a shame.

Yes but too bad... they are no longer selling Plasma TV anymore.

I never even watched a 3D movie. I can't afford a 65" 3DTV but would like to have one or to try one. Maybe I will take a trip to Best Buy and look at one.

1 minute ago, Raa said:

Pointless thread resurrection?

So? People resurrect the threads these days..   The last post before me was February of this year..  It isn't old.

I was providing the facts to those posters above.

1 hour ago, TAZMINATOR said:

So? People resurrect the threads these days..   The last post before me was February of this year..  It isn't old.

I was providing the facts to those posters above.

What? :s

Looks like a cross edit has happened somewhere...

4 minutes ago, Raa said:

What? :s

Looks like a cross edit has happened somewhere...

No. I caught your original post before you edited.

I edited mine because auto-correct...   I changed from resurrection to resurrect.   Stupid auto-correct system.