Linux on USB SSD drive?

I am downloading Linux Mint Cinnamon and will be making a USB boot drive and then want to install it on an external SSD to tinker with. How well will it run? Just as fast as running on an internal drive?

Well, naturally it's not working. It says something about invalid extent and I have a command prompt with grub rescue mode. Any idea what that's all about?

Depends if your BIOS/UEFI supports booting off the external USB SSD. Also some external enclosures do not support booting so the controller firmware won't report itself as bootable to the BIOS and the BIOS will just skip it. 

3 hours ago, patseguin said:

Well, naturally it's not working. It says something about invalid extent and I have a command prompt with grub rescue mode. Any idea what that's all about?

Did GRUB get installed to the root of the external drive? I've had it before that it tried to install to the hard drive in my PC, hence why no booting for me.

Well, I got it to work but not great. I installed Freya and I get constant errors. Not worth the time really since I was just tinkering anyways. I also installed it on my 4TB external HDD but it wouldn't boot off that at all.