Giving Linux Another Try

T3X4S

I created a mint 17 VM that I havent used for a bit.  But today I decided to give it a go, and after tweaking some things, and adding what I wanted - I am liking it.

I am sure I wont use 10% of what it can do - since I cant use my video card - I cant install Steam - so this is just fine - plain old vanilla.

Just thought I'd mention that I like it.... more than OS-X

Selection_001.thumb.png.2400f209bc5cc2fb

• Like 3
T3X4S

However, I do have a question.

I want to enable my mouse's fwd/back buttons.

I found a post telling me to add 3 lines to the VMX, but next time I went to open the VM, it said the VMX was corrupt so I had to remove those 3 lines.

If someone knows the workaround - I'd appreciate it.

If it matters, its a Logitech Performance MX

Thanks

simonlang

what DE are you using in mint? might be possible to directly map the mouse buttons in the config settings somewhere in system settings... 

T3X4S

Cinnamon - sorry I forgot to mention that - I'll check

5 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

what DE are you using in mint? might be possible to directly map the mouse buttons in the config settings somewhere in system settings... 

Cinnamon - sorry I forgot to mention that - I'll check

simonlang

then you need to rely on an external tool

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/28/how-to-customize-extra-mouse-buttons-in-linux/

however it could be a VM problem too

http://askubuntu.com/questions/439836/extra-mouse-buttons-not-working-in-virtualization-vmware-virtualbox-ubuntu-hos

sadly i have no special mouse to try this out and find a working way maybe someone else can help here?

T3X4S
3 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

then you need to rely on an external tool

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/28/how-to-customize-extra-mouse-buttons-in-linux/

however it could be a VM problem too

http://askubuntu.com/questions/439836/extra-mouse-buttons-not-working-in-virtualization-vmware-virtualbox-ubuntu-hos

sadly i have no special mouse to try this out and find a working way maybe someone else can help here?

I'll give it a try - thanks for the tips. (Y)

That 2nd link is the one that caused the "corrupted VMX" - I'll have to try the other.

Ive done it before - but cant remember who in here gave me the tip.

simonlang
17 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

the linux support forums are a joke for a n00b,

this is so far from the truth. i started with ubuntu and they not only have a solid wiki but the forums are really incredibly beginner friendly, i remember, you could ask anything and they helped you.

i would be very surprised if it's any different in mints case, as this distro aims for beginners as well. 

• Like 1
kozukumi

I run Ubuntu as it "just works" and I am very lazy. I often use the Arch Wiki for problems I have as while it is Arch-related it is usually the most up-to-date documentation and it is well written and easy to work out how things in it apply to Ubuntu.

Also #ubuntu on freenode is excellent. 99% of people are friendly in there and I have never had a problem I couldn't solve in a few minutes of searching.

As for your mouse button issue it could be VM related as some hardware just doesn't play nice with input passthrough. I have a G402 and all the mouse buttons work without having to change a thing so I can't help much there sorry!

T3X4S
21 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

this is so far from the truth. i started with ubuntu and they not only have a solid wiki but the forums are really incredibly beginner friendly, i remember, you could ask anything and they helped you.

i would be very surprised if it's any different in mints case, as this distro aims for beginners as well. 

Well, my experience - almost every time has been crappy.  Ask why something isnt working - get a smartass answer - explain that I am trying for 1st time - maybe say, "well in Windows all I have to do is....."
Then get blasted with crap comments, then someone will just go...

Oh , pfft thats simple, all you have to do is sudo apt-get somerubegoldberglongashellcmdlinetextwitharbitrarywhitespace/_ and pass it off as I should know it by heart.

Please dont say its "far from the truth" - that is calling me a liar.  All you had to say was your experience was different.

• Like 3
T3X4S
16 minutes ago, kozukumi said:

I run Ubuntu as it "just works" and I am very lazy. I often use the Arch Wiki for problems I have as while it is Arch-related it is usually the most up-to-date documentation and it is well written and easy to work out how things in it apply to Ubuntu.

Also #ubuntu on freenode is excellent. 99% of people are friendly in there and I have never had a problem I couldn't solve in a few minutes of searching.

As for your mouse button issue it could be VM related as some hardware just doesn't play nice with input passthrough. I have a G402 and all the mouse buttons work without having to change a thing so I can't help much there sorry!

I'll check out those references - 

It is a VMWare~linux guest thing.  I fixed it by adding 3 USB properties lines to the VMX file - 

T3X4S

So now I have a screengrab tool that is easy to enable, my Performance MX works good - I think once I learn a little more, I will just snag a little 60GB SSD, and give it its own partition and use it in physical and scrap the VM

Is it just me or is the font rendering so much better in Linux ?  The text on the web is so much clearer

T3X4S

already fixed it - but thank you

kozukumi
12 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Is it just me or is the font rendering so much better in Linux ?  The text on the web is so much clearer

God yes! Linux and OS X have such better looking fonts compared to Windows. Honestly Microsoft ruined how fonts look in Windows 10 (well they started in 8 I guess). Such a shame. 

• Like 1
simonlang
Just now, kozukumi said:

God yes! Linux and OS X have such better looking fonts compared to Windows. Honestly Microsoft ruined how fonts look in Windows 10 (well they started in 8 I guess). Such a shame. 

i can't speak for windows since i don't really use it anymore but indeed the font rendering in ubuntu and it's derivates is awesome. however, for example in arch, you need to install the infinality font pack for example to get the patched fonts which look as good as the ubuntu ones. 

simplezz

I love the GNU/Linux OOTB experience these days. Everything just works and the built-in FOSS repositories are simply amazing in my humble opinion. The best OS hands down.

• Like 1
kozukumi
4 hours ago, simplezz said:

I love the GNU/Linux OOTB experience these days. Everything just works and the built-in FOSS repositories are simply amazing in my humble opinion. The best OS hands down.

Agreed. In my opinion the Ubuntu OOBE is better than the Windows 10 one. I have installed Windows 10 Pro a number of times over the past few months, most recently today in fact, and it is a rather crappy experience to say the least. My "Professional" OS auto-installs Twitter and Candy Crush as soon as it is connected to the internet. Even before I have the chance to say "please don't do that". It then needs to do a bunch of updates which really it should have done during install as it had an internet connection. I install the latest version of SumatraPDF and set it as the default only to get a notification that Windows had to reset it to Edge for some reason. Of course it didn't actually tell me why it had to reset it. Just that something wasn't right. 

Anyway I run a PowerShell script to remove all of the crap I don't want such as Twitter, Candy Crush and 3D Builder (why on earth would they include this in the default OS when maybe 0.01% of users own a 3D printer?!). Then I install Office 2016. A couple of hours later I get a notification that I should try Office 365! Wtf?! Honestly can Microsoft not detect that I have Office installed and licensed and avoid such a pointless notification? 

So then I open the store and install the Netflix app to try it out. It is ok to be fair. Not great but ok. However the Store App then does some updates and some how Candy Crush and Twitter are reinstalling?! What the actual ######?! Oh yeah and this isn't some free upgrade this is a god damn MSDN install which my company has paid money for! Why the hell does this ###### happen? It should be limited to just the Home edition. Ugh.

Honestly the Windows 10 experience is poor. Compare this to installing Ubuntu ... I boot up off the flash drive and it prompts me to connect to my wifi network so I do that. It then auto-partitions (or lets me do it manually) the drive, keeping Windows 10 intact. Asks me if I want to install updates during the installation then asks me for my username, etc. while it is installing. Five minutes later it says it is done and asks me if I want to reboot. I reboot and it boots up to the login screen. No second half of the install process. It is done. I login and just get to work. I do a couple of apt-get's to install some extra software I want and that is it. It doesn't need to get any extra drivers, at least not on this machine, it all just works. Honestly it is a lovely experience. I install Chrome (not Chromium) and have full Flash and HTML5 working just as great as on Windows. Netflix works. Everything just works. I already have LibreOffice installed which is more than good enough for my needs as I don't use SharePoint or anything of that stuff anyway. 

Honestly I don't know why I continue to use Windows 10 sometimes. 

• Like 2
simplezz
3 hours ago, kozukumi said:

Honestly I don't know why I continue to use Windows 10 sometimes. 

I think a lot of people are coming to that realisation. The big-brother almost malware like behaviour alone is scary. Thank the gods we have alternatives.

• Like 3
simonlang
7 hours ago, simplezz said:

I think a lot of people are coming to that realisation. The big-brother almost malware like behaviour alone is scary. Thank the gods we have alternatives.

indeed, indeed. the only reason i have win still running as a reserve OS is because of the flashing progs for my htc one to flash custom roms only works on windows and every time i boot into windows i start to think WTF how long i could use this system without looking for better alternatives...

wiith linux i feel much closer to my system without 100 layers in between where i have no control nor knowledge what they do and why they behave the way they do.  install a fresh linux system... do the system updates.... done.... it works.... install windows.... do the updates and wait hours for them to complete... look for the drivers in the net and install them....install an antivirus, install a firewall... annoying! 

kozukumi
9 hours ago, simplezz said:

I do not believe the spyware stuff about Windows 10. If you don't want to be a part of the data collection then just use a local account, disable Cortana and set the telemetry settings to Basic and you are good to go. The only things that get collected and sent to Microsoft are system reliability and the like. Yes it would be nice to be able to totally disable it but oh well. If you want to worry about data collection I would be more concerned with Google/Facebook, etc. It is far harder if not impossible to disable tracking online. 

There are plenty of things to dislike about Windows 10 but calling it spyware/malware isn't all that much of a valid reason IMHO.

simonlang
5 minutes ago, kozukumi said:

There are plenty of things to dislike about Windows 10 but calling it spyware/malware isn't all that much of a valid reason IMHO.

how you call an OS then which brings out an update which in consequence messes arround with your partition table layout and leads in further consequence to an unbootable system? 

Circaflex
On 2/26/2016 at 5:25 AM, T3X4S said:

That point where you realize you should have never started a thread saying Linux wasnt that bad - because then all the conspiracy theorists and anti-Microsoft people come out of their cave and spew their idiocy.   SMH

I was just thinking to myself, what does any of the last 5 or 6 comments have to do with OPs Linux thread. Neowin never ceases to amaze me, something as simple as how do i get this to work in linux, turns into a windows 10 conspiracy debate.

• Like 4
T3X4S

Agreed.

There are a few people that, I believe, lurk the forums waiting for a thread such as this - then unleash their FUD and tin foil hat crap.

After getting through the small hurdles I had with this Linux install - I was pumped - now.... haven't turned it on again - its like - well that was neat - now it offers nothing.

I have practically done full circle on this.  I went from - "well Im bored, I'll give mint another try" to "hey - this worked out nicely - everything is working" to "this offers nothing over Windows"

Maybe I'll get a mac   :)

• Like 3
sinetheo
4 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I was just thinking to myself, what does any of the last 5 or 6 comments have to do with OPs Linux thread. Neowin never ceases to amaze me, something as simple as how do i get this to work in linux, turns into a windows 10 conspiracy debate.

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Agreed.

There are a few people that, I believe, lurk the forums waiting for a thread such as this - then unleash their FUD and tin foil hat crap.

After getting through the small hurdles I had with this Linux install - I was pumped - now.... haven't turned it on again - its like - well that was neat - now it offers nothing.

I have practically done full circle on this.  I went from - "well Im bored, I'll give mint another try" to "hey - this worked out nicely - everything is working" to "this offers nothing over Windows"

Maybe I'll get a mac   :)

Well if you hate Windows and love Linux and view paid software as the enemy of the people there is always www.slashdot.org the anti neowin.net. :-) Check it out?

I am leaving that site because of the anti MS hate and zealotry truly started to scare me. Whenever anything MS comes up you see comments on how MS is logging into everyones computers to steal data to serving malware advertisements to Windows XP best OS ever etc. 

Well I was a pro linux fanboy in my old days before I gave up after Windows 7 amazed me so I started coming here. 

Today I am neutral with a preference for Windows on the desktop by far these days. Thanks to virtualization I can goto www.turnkeylinux.com and get an appliance for development in Hyper-V. Linux is great if you are doing anything technical outside of business software. So with virtualization I use everything depending on need so no need for a religious war.

• Like 2