Is optimizing Linux Mint for an SSD worthwhile?

As you know, I am still on Windows, so my question doesn't apply yet.  Depending on a few factors that I am waiting on, I may end up installing Linux Mint next month and use it on this laptop for the foreseeable future.

I came across the following article, "Optimizing Linux Mint for the solid state drive SSD" on Mint Guide:

https://mintguide.org/system/323-optimizing-linux-mint-for-the-solid-state-drive-ssd.html

The article is just over a year old, but it's the only one they have about SSDs on the site.

So, can anyone with a lot more experience using Linux than I have, preferably someone with lots of experience using Linux Mint check over the article, please?

i am still waiting for the money so i can go for an ssd finally, but from what i have read - however that was a few years back - todays linux distros are set up for ssd already the way that when setup sees you install it on a ssd it uses the optimizations and there is no further tuning needed, i think earlier on you were advised to run a terminal command to optimize it for ssd but afaik that is not needed anymore. 

4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Waiting for the money ???  They cost the same as 2 tanks of gas... less than a good steak dinner and a couple of drinks :|

i give you my paypal account and you send me the money. the way you sound it is easily doable for you 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

i give you my paypal account and you send me the money. the way you sound it is easily doable for you 

7 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Waiting for the money ???  They cost the same as 2 tanks of gas... less than a good steak dinner and a couple of drinks :|

I guess it depends on what you want to buy. You can easily buy an SSD, though it will be a slower older generation. You could also spend a whackload on a new high capacity blazing fast SSD too.

Personally, I would buy an old cheaper one now because either way you look at it, even an old cheaper one will add a crazy speed bump.

44 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

Very easily doable.....for me.   

1 hour ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

get a job you bum :p lol

back to the topic

you can if you want to (more for older SSD) but i dont bother

So on my old SSD i set different schedulers and all that kinda stuff the first time i installe dlinux, the times after that i did not bother, when i took my ssd out and put it in an old computer as i bought a new SSD the life on the OLD SSD was still at 99%

1 minute ago, Haggis said:

odler SSD

I have never heard of that brand of SSDs, I am going to have to look them up.... :p

1 hour ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

i am still waiting for the money so i can go for an ssd finally, but from what i have read - however that was a few years back - todays linux distros are set up for ssd already the way that when setup sees you install it on a ssd it uses the optimizations and there is no further tuning needed, i think earlier on you were advised to run a terminal command to optimize it for ssd but afaik that is not needed anymore. 

Are they pricey down in Australia?

4 minutes ago, Showan said:

Are they pricey down in Australia?

i dunno. need to ask an australian first. :D

Yes, it's a good idea to do some basic optimisation of your disks/filesystems, including HDD's. That article is fine, but if your distro is running systemd, you'll likely have a fstrim.timer service already, effectively rendering the cron job superfluous. Test its status with:

$ systemctl status fstrim.timer

noatime, nodiratime, journal writeback, and increased commit times are essential in my opinion. They reduce wear and tear greatly and improve general performance. Here's my fstab for example:

# LABEL=Arch
UUID=dd83747a-f941-403d-af27-cd878c8c170c	/         	ext4      	noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,commit=120	0 1

# LABEL=Var
UUID=b13b5591-909f-427e-a5a2-bebf96b8afb1	/var      	ext4      	noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,commit=300	0 0

# LABEL=Home
UUID=4c8441cb-56d3-4d37-9f0b-8399eced3430 /home     	ext4      	noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,commit=300	0 0

# LABEL=storage
UUID=cd91c1f3-973e-48fb-8604-c49da963536f /storage	ext4      	noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,commit=300	0 0

# LABEL=storage-2
UUID=af079f48-672d-400b-86b8-461905309059	/storage-2	ext4      	noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,commit=300	0 0

# NFS shares
/storage/torrents /srv/nfs4/torrents none bind 0 0
/storage/movies /srv/nfs4/movies none bind 0 0
/storage/music /srv/nfs4/music none bind 0 0
/storage/books /srv/nfs4/ebooks none bind 0 0
/storage/audiobooks /srv/nfs4/audiobooks none bind 0 0
/storage/tv /srv/nfs4/tv-shows none bind 0 0
/storage/OS /srv/nfs4/OS none bind 0 0
/storage/pictures /srv/nfs4/pictures none bind 0 0

Don't put a swap on an SSD though if you can avoid it. It's also worth enabling the write cache on your disks.

The arch wiki has lots of great tips such as in memory browser profiles (profile-sync-daemon), relocating /var and /home to separate magnetic disks, etc.