Master of Orion

Master of Orion launched today on Steam Early Access and Gog.com Games in Development.

I'm a HUGE fan of 1 and 2 (skipped 3 based on HORRIBLE reviews) and have been looking forward to this "reboot".

It has a huge all-star voice cast but some reviews coming in have me extremely concerned.  I'm not prepared to drop money on a game still "in development" but if anyone else here has I'd love to pick your brain.

I've heard a lot of, sometimes conflicting, things about the game at this point an many have me concerned.

Most notable are the conflicting reports of "tactical combat" being non-tactical at all.  I've heard everything from it being realtime with pause to having ZERO player interaction and basically being just an animation you watch.  There is consensus in that it is NOT turn-based like MoO 1 and 2 and apparently it's missing entirely from multiplayer games.  For me a poor combat implementation would be an instant non-purchase so I'd like to get a better handle on how it's done before I pull the trigger and get the game.  I would like to say that it doesn't HAVE to be turn-based, I'm cool with a good real-time with pause implementation and I personally have no intention of playing multiplayer and can see how tactical combat could slow such a game to a crawl so auto-resolving multiplayer combat is also acceptable.  Watching an animation or full real-time combat are no-gos for me though.

Some have also gone so far as to say the game is very shallow... the graphics, sound, voice acting, etc. are great but the game has been "dumbed down" for mass appeal.  Almost like you could expect an only slightly modified mobile version announcement any time now.  I completely understand that not everyone likes to "micromanage" and such but it seems odd to take a classic game all about that sort of thing and then "dumb it down".  I'm keeping an open mind here though because many of the same claims were made about XCOM and it turned out ok.

gog have a 14 day no arguments  refund on in dev. release titles.

might be worth checking out gog if your interested, and if it's not to your liking you can always get a refund. 

and I don't work for gog or the makers of MoO, in case anyone's curious

GAMES IN DEVELOPMENTFAQ

1. What are games in development?Games in Development are playable games, but they're not finished just yet: they might be in the final stages of gameplay improvements or still getting new major features. The important thing is that they're all works in progress — it's good to feel comfortable with their current state when making your purchase. After all, there is no rush.Just in case, our refund policy allows for a full refund on all games in development within 14 days of purchase. More on this below.

• 9 months later...
On 2/26/2016 at 1:14 PM, Cnónna said:

gog have a 14 day no arguments  refund on in dev. release titles.

might be worth checking out gog if your interested, and if it's not to your liking you can always get a refund. 

and I don't work for gog or the makers of MoO, in case anyone's curious

It's no worse than Galactic Civilizations (either II or III), and makes for one heck of an alternative to either (and the Collector's Edition - currently $19.99 on GOG, makes for a choice Yule gift for someone that already has either or both GalCiv games).  Like the GalCiv games, it's an RTS - also, like the GalCiv games, it's not any sort of pig (CPU, RAM, or GPU); if anything, it's lighter than ANNO 2205 OR SimCity 2013 (my city sims of choice) - even a GTX550Ti (my current discrete GPU) is overkill.