How do you play 360 games on Xbox One?

I never really looked into this but then saw that Fable 3 was available so I decided I would try it out. I looked on the store and there was the main game and a ton of DLC listed. The game says "bundle only" and when I select that it says "nothing found". After a Google, I read that you can only buy 360 games at the website or on a 360 console. So, last night I purchased Fable 3 for $9.99 on the website using the same live account as my Xbox One. Here it is the next day and it is nowhere to be found. I went to my games and it is not listed as ready to install. I hard rebooted the console and it's still not available. On the store, even though I purchased, it still says "bundle only" and gives me "nothing found" when I select that.

Anyone able to help?

Try re-starting your console (not turning it off, that's the equivalent of stand by) sometimes the list of games you own get's cached.

• Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
  • Select Settings.
  • Select Restart console.
  • Select Yes to confirm.

It should just be listed under games ready to install, it wouldn't appear anywhere else unless you already have the game installed.

2 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Try re-starting your console (not turning it off, that's the equivalent of stand by) sometimes the list of games you own get's cached.

• Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
  • Select Settings.
  • Select Restart console.
  • Select Yes to confirm.

It should just be listed under games ready to install, it wouldn't appear anywhere else unless you already have the game installed.

Well, I didn't do a soft restart I actually unplugged it and plugged it back in. That would be the same thing wouldn't it? What I'm doing it going to "my games and apps". It lists all my games and I scroll all the way to the right where it lists things ready to install. There are a couple game demos but Fable is not listed. I'm also confused about the "bundle only" thing on the store for the game. In any case, since I purchased it online it's my understanding that it should automatically show up as ready to install on my console right?

I'm guessing that you don't have a 360 to see if the game is available on there? 

Try contacting support?

7 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'm guessing that you don't have a 360 to see if the game is available on there? 

Try contacting support?

Nopers. I guess I should have done my homework. I just thought it was as simple as owning the game digitally and then it would be available to install on the XB1.

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

Nopers. I guess I should have done my homework. I just thought it was as simple as owning the game digitally and then it would be available to install on the XB1.

In theory it should be. 

Check that the transaction is showing up online (through Xbox.com) and contact support would probably be your best bet

I tried the volunteer chat thing at Live. I put in that the game is not showing up to install. The guy responds "Should work. Try reinstalling it and see if it works". I guess that's enough of community chat support.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I tried the volunteer chat thing at Live. I put in that the game is not showing up to install. The guy responds "Should work. Try reinstalling it and see if it works". I guess that's enough of community chat support.

Ah that's pants. 

Can you confirm that the purchase went through okay? Does it show up in your recently purchased products?

Go to www.xbox.com > Sign in > Click your name/gamertag in the top right > click Microsoft Account.

If it's showing there, then you need to get back on the phone with support and ask them what's happened. Maybe the proper support will be able to help more. 

21 hours ago, patseguin said:

Use Microsoft support chat, not community. The latter is not trained nor has access to account details or billing info.

21 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Ah that's pants. 

Can you confirm that the purchase went through okay? Does it show up in your recently purchased products?

Go to www.xbox.com > Sign in > Click your name/gamertag in the top right > click Microsoft Account.

If it's showing there, then you need to get back on the phone with support and ask them what's happened. Maybe the proper support will be able to help more. 

Yep, it's right there in my purchase history. I wish I had known that you get absolutely nothing when you fork over $20 for a game.

Yeh you have to choose to download and install in on the XB one, so check games and apps.

I have a fair few on 360 games on my XBone, all work fine, they just show up in there and I hit install.

9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

See OPs post a towards the top, it's not listing the game. 

It's not overly apparent, but it is in my 1st sentence. Fable III

14 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Yeh you have to choose to download and install in on the XB one, so check games and apps.

I have a fair few on 360 games on my XBone, all work fine, they just show up in there and I hit install.

Where exactly do I do that? There is no option anywhere to install the game on the XB1 or I would have done that.

8 minutes ago, patseguin said:

It's not overly apparent, but it is in my 1st sentence. Fable III

Where exactly do I do that? There is no option anywhere to install the game on the XB1 or I would have done that.

Sorry you misunderstood.

I was referring to your post where you state that you've already check the My Games and Apps section and scrolled to the right where it should list the ready to install. 

If it's not appearing there, you haven't accidentally hidden it right? There was a feature introduced recently that allows you to hide games from that section. 

18 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Sorry you misunderstood.

I was referring to your post where you state that you've already check the My Games and Apps section and scrolled to the right where it should list the ready to install. 

If it's not appearing there, you haven't accidentally hidden it right? There was a feature introduced recently that allows you to hide games from that section. 

He said he'd been to games, not that he had gone to the right, it lists installed games A-Z then un-installed games A-Z, so he may have stopped at installed Z and not looked further, but was just a suggestion.

If its not showing there you need to contact MS's proper support not community.

25 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Sorry you misunderstood.

Sorry for the confusion. I have never hidden anything in the games and apps section. When I searched online, people said you go to that section and on the far right will be all the 360 games that are ready to install. So, I assumed that by purchasing Fable III 360 with my live account that is active on my XB1 it would show up there.

Never heard of this being an issue ever before for anyone.. My only guess is since you purchased online the simplest solution might be the answer since it isn't registering the new info on your account..

Sign out of the xbox one account then follow these steps, and re-sign back in.

Xbox One
Unlike Xbox 360, the Xbox One does not have a menu option to clear cache on the console. Instead, follow these steps to clear cache on an Xbox One:

1. Press and hold the power button on the front of the console until it powers down completely.
  2. Unplug the power cable from the back of the console so that the power brick in not connected to the console.
  3. Press the power button on the console three or four times. This will ensure that any remaining power in the battery is drained, clearing the cache on the console.
  4. Plug the power cable back into the console.
  5. Wait for the light on the power brick to change from white to orange.
  6. Turn on the console using the power button.

I've had no trouble with this before. Like others have said, it's probably time to reach out to Microsoft Support on the issue. There's no reason for you to be going through so much trouble. 

OP, does your dashboard look like this:

http://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_blw/public/field/image/2015/10/NOXE-dash.png?itok=sPxs-4XM

If so, it should work, scroll down to apps and games tile and install a X360 game.

If your dashboard does not look like that, then you do not have Windows 10 installed or backward compatibility. You will have to update OS to Windows 10 as long as you are a preview member.

If you want to join, ask one of your friends on your friends list to invite you to join and install Windows 10.

2 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

OP, does your dashboard look like this:

http://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_blw/public/field/image/2015/10/NOXE-dash.png?itok=sPxs-4XM

If so, it should work, scroll down to apps and games tile and install a X360 game.

If your dashboard does not look like that, then you do not have Windows 10 installed or backward compatibility. You will have to update OS to Windows 10 as long as you are a preview member.

If you want to join, ask one of your friends on your friends list to invite you to join and install Windows 10.

Er you don't need to be a preview member to have Windows 10....that's been live for the public since Nov 2015...

But yes if it doesn't look like that then update.

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I believe BC was added to the old version before the Win10 update to some degree as well. 

On June 15, 2015, backward compatibility with supported Xbox 360 games became available to eligible Xbox Preview program users with a beta update to the Xbox One system software. The dashboard update containing backward compatibility was released publicly on November 12, 2015.

From here.

When the first BC preview release.. it was buggy (at least for me at the time.)   So they improved some more with Windows 10 (They called it Xbox One System) preview update including the public Nov '15 update. 

After that, I decided not to use BC anymore.  If I want to play 360 games, I have X360 for that.

• 2 weeks later...