Should I go back to Windows 7 at work?

10 minutes ago, patseguin said:

No, it is a domain with a Windows 2008 Server. Technically, each workstation was purchased with Windows 7 so they are licensed. I just used the Technet keys for convenience because I've long since lost the paperwork with the keys.

WIndows 8.1 is not an option without purchasing and if I were able to do that I would just purchase Windows 10 anyways.

What version of WIndows 8 are you running? Where did you get the Windows 8 keys?

EDIT: It looks like TechNet keys aren't supported. You'll need to install the 8.1 update from TechNet, according to Microsoft's FAQ, which would still be a free update. 

5 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

What version of WIndows 8 are you running? Where did you get the Windows 8 keys?

EDIT: It looks like TechNet keys aren't supported. You'll need to install the 8.1 update from TechNet, according to Microsoft's FAQ, which would still be a free update. 

Isn't Technet long gone?

43 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

Oh, OK. In a previous school I worked in, we imaged VL Windows 7 where Sysprep was not performed. We ran into all sorts of issues regarding clashing SIDs, etc. How does it work for non-VL keys? Won't they also have issues with SIDs that are clashing?

You don't basically, if you do not have a VL then you do not have rights to create system images. The only thing you can do is create a system image of the current PC as a backup which must only be used on that same PC.

Technically, each workstation was purchased with Windows 7 so they are licensed. I just used the Technet keys for convenience because I've long since lost the paperwork with the keys.

They're not currently licensed, they're running the Technet keys. The only way you can legitimately go to Windows 7 in this case then, is to downgrade all the machines, try the Microsoft link above for downloading it if you do genuinely have keys. Then perform an update to Windows 10 from there, then rejoin to the domain.

Isn't Technet long gone?

This is exactly what happens when people do not use the proper licenses.

• Like 3

Just now, Vince800 said:

You don't basically, if you do not have a VL then you do not have rights to create system images. The only thing you can do is create a system image on the current PC as a backup which must only be used on that same PC.

They're not currently licensed, they're running the Technet keys. The only way you can legitimately go to Windows 7 in this case then, is to downgrade all the machines, try the Microsoft link above for downloading it if you do genuinely have keys. Then perform an update to Windows 10 from there, then rejoin to the domain.

They are all licensed as they were purchased with Windows 7. I am missing the keys which is why I was using my Technet keys. Even if I am able to do what you said, Windows 10 is not an option to update because it will cost money. It is not a free update for business.

38 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why can't you get 8.1? The Start Screen on Windows 8 is really no different than the WIndows 7 menu, it just makes better use of screen real estate. Pinning a tile to it shouldn't be that hard to where the user can quickly access it. Windows 8.1 will make things a little better. 

After using Windows 8.1 again on some customers machines there are a lot of things I actually really like about Windows 8.1 in comparison to Windows 10. But that Start screen is defiantly not one of them. Everytime I clicked the start button on their machine, it made me cringe.

2 minutes ago, patseguin said:

They are all licensed as they were purchased with Windows 7. I am missing the keys which is why I was using my Technet keys. Even if I am able to do what you said, Windows 10 is not an option to update because it will cost money. It is not a free update for business.

If you like it or not, unless they're still running Windows 7 on the licenses they came with, they are not currently licensed. They're running Windows 8.0 from Technet as production machines, they're not licensed.

I'm assuming the machines came with Windows 7 Pro? If you can downgrade them & they have proper Pro keys, you'll be able to upgrade them to 10 for free if you do so prior to joining them to the domain.

In all honesty, I see no reason to go back to 7 unless you've got software that won't run properly on 8.x.

Just install a menu tool and use its boot-to-desktop option (since you said 8.1 isn't an option) and be done with it. There's no need to do a full system rebuild simply because you & the users don't like the Metro UI. Once you install a menu tool, 8 is almost exactly like 7 unless you choose to use the new stuff.

Save yourself some hassle and toss a menu tool on those machines.

8 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

If you like it or not, unless they're still running Windows 7 on the licenses they came with, they are not currently licensed. They're running Windows 8.0 from Technet as production machines, they're not licensed.

I'm assuming the machines came with Windows 7 Pro? If you can downgrade them & they have proper Pro keys, you'll be able to upgrade them to 10 for free if you do so prior to joining them to the domain.

OK, wait a minute. Even though I have a Windows 7 Pro license, I can still get the FREE Windows 10 upgrade as long as I check for updates BEFORE joining my domain? I didn't know that. Are you 100% sure that's true? I can just reinstall 7 pro from a USB stick, stay off the domain, perform the free Windows 10 upgrade, rejoin the domain and I am golden?

7 minutes ago, DConnell said:

In all honesty, I see no reason to go back to 7 unless you've got software that won't run properly on 8.x.

Just install a menu tool and use its boot-to-desktop option (since you said 8.1 isn't an option) and be done with it. There's no need to do a full system rebuild simply because you & the users don't like the Metro UI. Once you install a menu tool, 8 is almost exactly like 7 unless you choose to use the new stuff.

Shouldn't you be updating the babes thread for my fix today? :-)

Seriously though, great advice my friend.

The real reason now that he should go back to Windows 7 is due to the fact he's not running proper licenses & the fact that due to this he's stuck with 8.0, no upgrade path & completely out of support. Whatever the option is, it's going to require a complete rebuild, they do not have a volume license so images are not an option. The best thing to do would be to get the genuine Windows 7 installations running again & then upgrade to Windows 10 before joining to the domain. Assuming the machines all shipped with Windows 7 Professional.

OK, wait a minute. Even though I have a Windows 7 Pro license, I can still get the FREE Windows 10 upgrade as long as I check for updates BEFORE joining my domain? I didn't know that. Are you 100% sure that's true? I can just reinstall 7 pro from a USB stick, stay off the domain, perform the free Windows 10 upgrade, rejoin the domain and I am golden?

As long as these are genuine licenses. Genuine keys & activate. You can even save time by running the Windows 10 upgrade tool straight away after installing Windows 7 & activating it, don't bother installing the 200 or so updates. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

The real reason now that he should go back to Windows 7 is due to the fact he's not running proper licenses & the fact that due to this he's stuck with 8.0, no upgrade path & completely out of support. Whatever the option is, it's going to require a complete rebuild, they do not have a volume license so images are not an option. The best thing to do would be to get the genuine Windows 7 installations running again & then upgrade to Windows 10 before joining to the domain. Assuming the machines all shipped with Windows 7 Professional.

See my post above regarding Windows 10. I had no idea I could that. Are you sure that will work before joining the domain and then I can rejoin the domain and keep running Windows 10?

EDIT: while waiting for your reply, I decided to grab the ISO from Microsoft. I forgot that I had a WIndows 7 key sticker on my Dell so I typed it in then got this error:

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options. Sigh, can't I just easily get a Win 7 ISO?

As long as these are genuine licenses. Genuine keys & activate. You can even save time by running the Windows 10 upgrade tool straight away after installing Windows 7 & activating it, don't bother installing the 200 or so updates. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

While waiting for your reply, I decided to grab the ISO from Microsoft. I forgot that I had a WIndows 7 key sticker on my Dell so I typed it in then got this error:

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options. Sigh, can't I just easily get a Win 7 ISO?

Lots of words ... sorry I didn't read it all.  If you go back to 7 you'll eventually be hosed because support will end and in a couple of years you'll have to purchases licenses.  

Have you tried inputting your OEM key on a Windows 10 install?  If you have OEM licenses for all your computers (7 or 8) you should be able to upgrade them all to 10 ... clean installs.  No?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, I wouldn't go back to 7 ... I would move on to 10...unless I missed something in previous posts ... in that case ignore me. :)

27 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Lots of words ... sorry I didn't read it all.  If you go back to 7 you'll eventually be hosed because support will end and in a couple of years you'll have to purchases licenses.  

Have you tried inputting your OEM key on a Windows 10 install?  If you have OEM licenses for all your computers (7 or 8) you should be able to upgrade them all to 10 ... clean installs.  No?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, I wouldn't go back to 7 ... I would move on to 10...unless I missed something in previous posts ... in that case ignore me. :)

Yeah definitely gotten a bit clogged. I thought that Windows 10 wasn't an option because it costs money for business. According to VInce, I can reinstall Windows 7 and do the free upgrade before joining the domain. I'm hoping he's right because that is by far the best way for me to go.

Even better is what you said though. Is there some place for me to input my OEM Windows 7 Pro Key and get a WIndows 10 ISO to do a clean install for free? That would eliminate installing 7 clean then upgrading to 10.

EDIT: I do have the media creation tool for Windows 10 and can create it on an USB drive. However, if I did a clean install from that instead of doing 7 first what would I put in for a product key? My 7 Pro product key from my Dell sticker? I would almost guarantee that won't work.

48 minutes ago, patseguin said:

While waiting for your reply, I decided to grab the ISO from Microsoft. I forgot that I had a WIndows 7 key sticker on my Dell so I typed it in then got this error:

Actually, no, not with an OEM key. You may need to reach out to OEM support to get install media, which would restore the machine back to factory. 

If I just decide to clean install Windows 10, can I use my Windows 7 OEM key now or is my only option to install Windows 7, stay of the domain, and perform the upgrade?

I did find a WIndows 7 Pro ISO I saved on my server a while back so I should be able to reinstall Windows 7 with that and my OEM key. If the latest Windows 10 ISO lets me use my 7 Pro OEM key that would be a plus.

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Actually, no, not with an OEM key. YOu may need to reach out to OEM support to get install media. 

Are you sure?  Download Windows 10 media creation tool.  Create media.  Boot with Media.  Select "Don't have a key at this time" but select the correct Windows edition (Home or Pro).  Choose fresh install and activate with OEM license after installation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

3 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Are you sure?  Download Windows 10 media creation tool.  Create media.  Boot with Media.  Select "Don't have a key at this time" but select the correct Windows edition (Home or Pro).  Choose fresh install and activate with OEM license after installation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Seems as though you may be right. I thought that Vince's solution was best but if I can get around having to install Windows 7 first I would prefer that. The main issue though is will I be able to install a version of Windows 10 that will be able to join my domain?

2 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Seems as though you may be right. I thought that Vince's solution was best but if I can get around having to install Windows 7 first I would prefer that. The main issue though is will I be able to install a version of Windows 10 that will be able to join my domain?

If they are Pro/Enterprise

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

If they are Pro/Enterprise

Yes but that is my confusion. To my understanding Windows 10 Enterprise is NOT a free upgrade. Vince suggested that I clean install Windows 7 and stay off the domain in order to get the free upgrade to Windows 10. Is that correct or can I just clean install 10 and use my 7 Pro OEM key and still get it free and end up with a version of 10 that can join my domain?

11 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Yes but that is my confusion. To my understanding Windows 10 Enterprise is NOT a free upgrade. Vince suggested that I clean install Windows 7 and stay off the domain in order to get the free upgrade to Windows 10. Is that correct or can I just clean install 10 and use my 7 Pro OEM key and still get it free and end up with a version of 10 that can join my domain?

If them OEM licenses on your boxes are for 7 or 8 Pro .. I see no reason they can not be upgraded to 10 Pro which can connect to the domain.  If they are 7 or 8 Home/Enterprise ... then you are a bit screwed (Home because of the domain / Enterprise because it can not be upgraded).  In other words, if you have Pro licenses laying around ... you should be able to install 10 Pro/connect to the domain.

In the end ... personally ... I would just put 10 Pro on everything so you'll not have to worry about updating again in a couple of years...even if you have to fork out some money.  Though I like 7 more than 10 ... if I was installing OS' for a business they would have the latest OS (obviously factoring in critical software support/compatibility)...so I wouldn't revert them back down to 7.

20 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Windows 10 Enterprise is only available through volume licensing. 

Nope

Are you prepared to be reprimanded or fired in case 1 and I just mean 1 PST Outlook archive file gets missed? What if the user put her MUST HAVE customer data on c:\ and not mydocuments? Are you prepared for that writeup during a performance review?

They worked just fine before you little IT guys keep screwing it up and now I lost my sales ... yada yada. Yes IT desktop sometimes is treated like garbage by these users. THey do not care abour your compliants. IT you can be fired for following orders all the time and users are the reason you are there.

I would not take the risk. Your users have 2 options. 1 you deploy a start menu SHIM. 2 you tell them to suck it up as there is substantial risks and they can work elsewhere if they do not like their systems and you can train them. 

People hate change no matter what. Windows 10 will be bashed because OMG tiles == tablets only! It looks funny eww. When Windows 7 came out we heard the cries of XP die hards saying XP was better because Windows 7 looked weird and was too cartony. 

Your job is to make these users happy yes. But also to give them a productive, non risky, always working platform for them to get their work done

OK thanks for the advice guys, here's what I did. I downloaded Windows 10 and created a USB stick. Booted off it and when it came to license key I entered my Windows 7 Pro key from my Dell sticker. All installed now and running on my work domain.

42 minutes ago, patseguin said:

OK thanks for the advice guys, here's what I did. I downloaded Windows 10 and created a USB stick. Booted off it and when it came to license key I entered my Windows 7 Pro key from my Dell sticker. All installed now and running on my work domain.

So you went with 10?

Good luck! A risky move but if it is a small office may not be a big deal. I personally wait for the 1st service pack and a year before upgrading as part of the job is risk management and all the bugs are removed. THis is especially true with server products. 

11 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

So you went with 10?

Good luck! A risky move but if it is a small office may not be a big deal. I personally wait for the 1st service pack and a year before upgrading as part of the job is risk management and all the bugs are removed. THis is especially true with server products. 

You're going to be waiting a long time then. Microsoft isn't releasing service packs anymore.