Should I go back to Windows 7 at work?

11 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

You're going to be waiting a long time then. Microsoft isn't releasing service packs anymore.

THey just did

The last update was a servicing one. It had no features added. Just fixed windows update, system, kernel, and other reliability improvements and bugs in powershell.

But that has not been widely tested. On my SP 3 both sfc and dism failed :-( My theory is MS forgot to update it's database which for example is one showstopper I can think of in a production environment as I use both tools to fix client systems with corruption.

1 hour ago, sinetheo said:

THey just did

The last update was a servicing one. It had no features added. Just fixed windows update, system, kernel, and other reliability improvements and bugs in powershell.

But that has not been widely tested. On my SP 3 both sfc and dism failed :-( My theory is MS forgot to update it's database which for example is one showstopper I can think of in a production environment as I use both tools to fix client systems with corruption.

Cumulative Update != Service Pack.

28 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt574263(v=vs.85).aspx

The release notes mentioned servicing for the last one as it was bug fixes as pointed out by another poster in the comment story. So it hit the LTSB as well

It still isn't a Service Pack, sorry.

8 hours ago, patseguin said:

We have a small business and the money to upgrade to Windows 10 isn't going to be there for the foreseeable future. We all hate Windows 8 with a raging passion and I was wondering if there are any negatives to reverting back to Windows 7.

I still have my license keys but lost my installation media. Is there still an official way to re-download Windows 7 media from MS for installing from USB? I see that some torrent sites have ISO's with all the updates rolled into them. As long as my license is legit and the ISO is clean should that be an OK way to go?

I would probably suggest if you use systems NOT connected to the internet, go with Windows 7. If support ends, then those stand alone systems will be safe from an attack. But if they are going to be connected to the internet, I'd have a Windows 10 system on the front end. reason being, the security of 10 would hopefully protect the 7 machines. That's how I would do it.

oh dang ... can we just move away from the whole CU/SP discussion?  

They are practically the same thing in "spirit"...with CU being much better especially on new installs.

SP = All fixes up to its release date ... and may contain new features. (but depending on the time between the most recent SP...you will probably be installing a lot of updates released post-SP).  

CU = All fixes up to its release date ... and may contain new features. (but you are pretty much good to go, barring the update here and there, after installing the latest CU)

There shouldn't be any reasonable negatives at work that I can see.

As long as what you need to do is supported and doing so increases efficiency, go for it.

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options. Sigh, can't I just easily get a Win 7 ISO?

Come to think of it, since 1511 you have been able to enter W7 serials to activate during installation. You could download Windows 10 media (make sure it matches your license, so Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro) then try it with the Windows 10 key. I would create system images of the machines first to make sure that you can go back if this doesn't work.

I would not take the risk. Your users have 2 options. 1 you deploy a start menu SHIM. 2 you tell them to suck it up as there is substantial risks and they can work elsewhere if they do not like their systems and you can train them. 

He can't even do this. They're running Windows 8.0, with no upgrade path to 8.1 (Due to not using proper licenses, he cannot get hold of the 8.1 media as he no longer has access to Technet). No point training them & leaving a system in place which is completely unsupported & on par with Windows XP.

If they were running Windows 8.1, properly licensed, I would say go ahead & train the users (Roll out group policies to stop the start screen displaying on logon, create a layout etc).

I would probably suggest if you use systems NOT connected to the internet, go with Windows 7. If support ends, then those stand alone systems will be safe from an attack. But if they are going to be connected to the internet, I'd have a Windows 10 system on the front end. reason being, the security of 10 would 

hopefully

protect the 7 machines. That's how I would do it.

Since he's going to have to rebuild these machines anyway due to the fact he's in the position of being stuck with 8.0. He might as well go with 10 whilst it's available for free, no point of freshly configuring an OS which is already in extended support.

I want to do the other computer in my office but it only has a Vista OEM sticker. I guess my only option is to set up an insider account for him? Can I just install 10 over 8 then it will be licensed as an insider?

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I want to do the other computer in my office but it only has a Vista OEM sticker. I guess my only option is to set up an insider account for him? Can I just install 10 over 8 then it will be licensed as an insider?

Absolutely not. I wouldn't set up an production computer on any insider builds.

14 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Not even the rc ring?

22 minutes ago, patseguin said:

20 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

^this.  You do not want to use Insider Previews on business machines (unless your job is to test software...or whatever).

And not only that ... but you still need to activate the Insider Previews with a valid license.  They aren't just "free" anymore like early builds.  Assuming the Vista OEM stickered computer has 8.0 on it ... why can't you just use that machines 8.0 key (assuming it is legit and upgradeable) and do an install of 10 (similar to your Windows 7 machine)?

On 3/2/2016 at 7:10 AM, Dot Matrix said:

What version of WIndows 8 are you running? Where did you get the Windows 8 keys?

EDIT: It looks like TechNet keys aren't supported. You'll need to install the 8.1 update from TechNet, according to Microsoft's FAQ, which would still be a free update. 

That is strange, I never had any issues using technet keys and upgrading to 8.1 through the store.

You don't seem to have a grasp on what you're doing, I know harsh, you should not be managing these computers at all 

Your main complaint boils down to "I don't like it", get over it 

You seem to not have done any real research that I can tell

As for Win 7, don't waste your time with it, it's on the chopping block already, and once support ends soon, you will be back to the mess bad companies are on with Win XP

49 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

I would except set his up on the release preview builds. I have this laptop on it. I only get the final release of a build. its all good for production machines ;) 

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

Not even the rc ring?

Correct. The RC's are still betas, and things can still go wrong.

On 3/2/2016 at 2:55 PM, sinetheo said:

So you went with 10?

Good luck! A risky move but if it is a small office may not be a big deal. I personally wait for the 1st service pack and a year before upgrading as part of the job is risk management and all the bugs are removed. THis is especially true with server products. 

On 3/2/2016 at 3:08 PM, Dot Matrix said:

You're going to be waiting a long time then. Microsoft isn't releasing service packs anymore.

I would consider Windows 10 Nov build 1511 release to be a service pack 1. 

Edit - Is Windows 10 LTS an option?

You really should just insure everything is properly licensed for the businesses, it costs too much is a poor excuse.  Go talk to your boss and have them pay for it as the fines and legal issues you run into for not following the rules is way more.  You as an IT person also have an ethical obligation to insure everything is done on the up and up and your failing at that now.  Time to fix this up and clean up your act if you want to stay in the game with us.

Windows 10 Pro ($199.99 x 3 ) = 599.97 + tax

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (Includes 5 CALs) ($1,209.00 x 1) = $1,209.00 + tax

Estimated Total: $1,808.97 + tax.

Once you have the proper licensing in place which is required for businesses that do not have volume licensing you will no longer have to worry about the legal issues your currently violating which are in the license agreements the business your working for is bounded too and agreed to by using Windows.

After you have done this and have the business in compliance you need to get some security training as some of your previous comments are very scary to hear especially for someone managing a businesses IT infrastructure.

Edited by ITOps

I am technically licensed but have lost some stuff after a couple of moves.

The other workstation I want to upgrade is from Dell but had a Vista l license which I do have. I had purchased a Windows 7 upgrade when it first came out but lost it, so I was using one of my Technet keys.

I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer as to whether or not you can install Windows 10 using a Technet key.

I'm not sure what I am saying is "scary". I've been working with computers since back in the C64 days so I know what I am doing. My only real weakness is Windows Server/domains. And I'm not the only person in the world confused about Windows 10 upgrades/licenses. If I can install Windows 10 using a Windows 7 Technet key, then that is what I would like to know.

10 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer as to whether or not you can install Windows 10 using a Technet key.

I mentioned a few posts up, that you can use a Windows 7 technet key to upgrade to 10, I have done it to all of my keys.

39 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I mentioned a few posts up, that you can use a Windows 7 technet key to upgrade to 10, I have done it to all of my keys.

OK sorry got lost in all the replies. ;-) Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, patseguin said:

I am technically licensed but have lost some stuff after a couple of moves.

The other workstation I want to upgrade is from Dell but had a Vista l license which I do have. I had purchased a Windows 7 upgrade when it first came out but lost it, so I was using one of my Technet keys.

I'm not sure what I am saying is "scary". I've been working with computers since back in the C64 days so I know what I am doing. My only real weakness is Windows Server/domains. And I'm not the only person in the world confused about Windows 10 upgrades/licenses. If I can install Windows 10 using a Windows 7 Technet key, then that is what I would like to know.

your windows 7 upgrade key also works for W10 upgrade, a workmate mentioned it worked for him just the other night. Ms dont seem to give a monkeys with 7 licencing keytypes now, suppose it makes sense get everyone lept to 10. Ive seen it at work, while supplied oem coas on Dells wont auto-activate they do via the phone number or smartphone option everytime, they never used to before 10 was released. Been years since ive had to speak to an actual representative with them now that I think about it.

Edited by Mando

2 hours ago, Mando said:

your windows 7 upgrade key also works for W10 upgrade, a workmate mentioned it worked for him just the other night. Ms dont seem to give a monkeys with 7 licencing keytypes now, suppose it makes sense get everyone lept to 10. Ive seen it at work, while supplied oem coas on Dells wont auto-activate they do via the phone number or smartphone option everytime, they never used to before 10 was released. Been years since ive had to speak to an actual representative with them now that I think about it.

Well, it's not an upgrade key but a Technet key. I know that Technet keys are meant for testing purposes only but it's good to know that MS is allowing those keys for Win 10. It does make sense for them to get as large a user base as possible on W10.

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

Well, it's not an upgrade key but a Technet key. I know that Technet keys are meant for testing purposes only but it's good to know that MS is allowing those keys for Win 10. It does make sense for them to get as large a user base as possible on W10.

tbh it wouldnt surprise me if it worked for a technet key also, heck give it a whirl :p if it wont activate online just ring the local number and when asked request the smartphone option for activation, much quicker than the droning woman reading out the code.