Browser 32 bit or 64 bit

Browser 32 bit or 64 bit  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Browser 32 bit or 64 bit?

• 32 bit
    • 64 bit

I am using the 64-bit version of Chrome since it is faster and offers better security. The latter being pretty important for a browser I would say. :)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/chrome-64-bit-browser-finally-available-as-a-stable-version/

The 64-bit version offers three main advantages and one possible drawback. The browser's advantages are speed, security, and stability. Google claims that certain media and graphics workloads in particular are faster with 64-bit. It offers the example of VP9 video decoding—used for some YouTube high-definition streams—being 15 percent quicker compared to 32-bit.

Security is enhanced both through enabling new protection systems and making existing protection systems stronger. Windows has a built-in security feature called ASLR (address space layout randomization) that makes bug exploits harder to write by randomizing the location of things such as DLLs in memory. The 64-bit applications have much more memory available, thereby creating a much larger haystack in which to hide the needles that exploits look for. Google has its own protection systems that similarly try to separate different kinds of data in memory, and 64-bit likewise gives them more space to play with.

The advertising company also says that stability has improved, with the 64-bit version of the browser being "twice as stable" as its 32-bit equivalent.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/chrome-picks-up-bonus-security-features-on-windows-10/

The Windows 10 November update (version 1511, build 10586) included a handful of new security features to provide protection against some security issues that have kept on popping up in Windows for a number of years. Google yesterday added source code support for these features to the Chrome browser, making Windows 10 the best version of Windows to use with Google's browser.

Chrome 48+ also has a couple of flags which improve security even further.

https://twitter.com/tiraniddo/status/692485455208660995

%7Boption%7Dhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZwz2gtXEAIVxfj.jpg:orig

chrome://flags/#enable-appcontainer
chrome://flags/#enable-ppapi-win32k-lockdown

#enable-ppapi-win32k-lockdown will protect against a successfully exploited plugin being used as a stepping stone for a kernel exploit in win32k, as was seen in the Hacking Team win32k+flash exploits. (Source)

• Like 2

32 bit needs to die! This is 2016 now. Why can't MS make a WOW to run 16 bits on 64 bits as businesses are the last holdhouts? I do not know anyone running Windows 10 on a 32 bit Pentium IV these days.

... ok this is neowin so some smartass who plays with computers will say me. But, in reality for average joes there is no one doing anything like this on a modern system. This reminded me of extreme frustration in the mid 1990's dealing with 1981 bios hacks with autoexec.bat and memmaker to run expanded vs extended memory in video games. Why? 16 bit dos was the rule even though the 386 has been around for freaking many many years. grr

24 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

32 bit needs to die! This is 2016 now. Why can't MS make a WOW to run 16 bits on 64 bits as businesses are the last holdhouts? I do not know anyone running Windows 10 on a 32 bit Pentium IV these days.

... ok this is neowin so some smartass who plays with computers will say me. But, in reality for average joes there is no one doing anything like this on a modern system. This reminded me of extreme frustration in the mid 1990's dealing with 1981 bios hacks with autoexec.bat and memmaker to run expanded vs extended memory in video games. Why? 16 bit dos was the rule even though the 386 has been around for freaking many many years. grr

I have a mid - 2015 Intel stick that can only run a 32-bit OS and runs Windows 10 32-bit. Only has 2GB of memory is I have no issues with it, it does everything I want it to do.

I love that Office warning, because I barely even knew there WERE any Office addons or whatever without it.

So I intalled the 64 bit version to keep them away from me.

21 minutes ago, randomevent said:

I love that Office warning, because I barely even knew there WERE any Office addons or whatever without it.

So I intalled the 64 bit version to keep them away from me.

So you probably don't have a lot of addons but outlook definitely has a heaps of addons people use. you probably have some installed that you don't even realize are there.

1 hour ago, offroadaaron said:

So you probably don't have a lot of addons but outlook definitely has a heaps of addons people use. you probably have some installed that you don't even realize are there.

Never even used Outlook.  I do webmail, so the win8+10 mail clients were much better.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Windows 8/10 has a stronger ASLR implementation for 64bit apps, that's the other benefit.

1 hour ago, offroadaaron said:

That's really a pro for using a 64bit build then, so the silently installed addons have a lower chance of working.

I know I installed 64bit Office for that reason, to reduce the risk of addons being installed without my knowledge.

On 3/3/2016 at 9:06 PM, Gary7 said:

I use Cyberfox 64 Bit. Works far better than Firefox.

I went back to Waterfox when Firefox x64 went back into hiatus (for reasons of stability).  If it weren't for Windows 10 having hissy-fits when a non-IE browser is the default, Waterfox would BE my default.  (As it is, I have to choose Waterfox deliberately.)

2 hours ago, offroadaaron said:

The last add-on I had for any part of Office was mooted when Outlook.com replaced Hotmail, and I've been running the x64 flavor since it's debut (Office 2010) - and THAT was the Social Media Connector for Outlook.  Said SMC is, in fact, now a built-in - but for Windows Mail, not Outlook.  It is part of the reason why Windows Mail supports Yahoo Mail - which Outlook requires a third-party add-in for.

7 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

It's 2016... Why would anyone be using any 32-bit program if had a 64-bit option? The difference is negotiable with a browser (speed wise). I am waiting for multi-process support to drop in Firefox stable (or even beta) already.

You try using 64-bit version of a Microsoft Office 20xx suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Decryptor said:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Windows 8/10 has a stronger ASLR implementation for 64bit apps, that's the other benefit.

That's really a pro for using a 64bit build then, so the silently installed addons have a lower chance of working.

I know I installed 64bit Office for that reason, to reduce the risk of addons being installed without my knowledge.

lol, great way of looking at things... i installed this software because it breaks things like addons. I'd rather use my addons thanks. I can actually figure out how to disable addons I don't want and install a functional software version.

Edited by offroadaaron

5 hours ago, T3X4S said:

and larger numbers are better :D

That's what she said!

3 hours ago, PGHammer said:

I went back to Waterfox when Firefox x64 went back into hiatus (for reasons of stability).  If it weren't for Windows 10 having hissy-fits when a non-IE browser is the default, Waterfox would BE my default.  (As it is, I have to choose Waterfox deliberately.)

I use Cyberfox as my Default and Firefox does now have a 64 Bit Browser,