Linux Mint Guide

Thomas the Tank Engine

Found this site a few weeks back, linked to an article on there with a question on here about SSDs.  It's a good site, and can be considered almost a companion site to the site that Simon Lang 9047 posted a few months ago:

https://mintguide.org/

• Like 3
T3X4S

I didnt find a decent answer to the trouble Im having with mint - 

Maybe someone can help

I have an nVidia 980 
Apparently, the latest version of mint doesnt like nVidia cards.
It is non-bootable due to no grfx - even locks up the computer
In order to install, I have to 

tab at the grub menu, edit the last line - add nomodeset after "quiet splash --"
Then I can get to a GUI desktop
I can then add the nVidia drivers, through Driver Manager
But the system is very unstable.
I get repeated lockups, and upon reboot - it doesnt reboot just kicks me out to a cmd line

taken from the release notes

Anyone know of a better fix ?

If this isnt the best thread - I'll create a new one - just thought it was apropos  

simonlang
1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

I didnt find a decent answer to the trouble Im having with mint - 

Maybe someone can help

I have an nVidia 980 
Apparently, the latest version of mint doesnt like nVidia cards.
It is non-bootable due to no grfx - even locks up the computer
In order to install, I have to 

tab at the grub menu, edit the last line - add nomodeset after "quiet splash --"
Then I can get to a GUI desktop
I can then add the nVidia drivers, through Driver Manager
But the system is very unstable.
I get repeated lockups, and upon reboot - it doesnt reboot just kicks me out to a cmd line

taken from the release notes

Anyone know of a better fix ?

If this isnt the best thread - I'll create a new one - just thought it was apropos  

have you tried to update to the latest kernel? i don't know which one mint comes with but if it's similar to ubuntu you can update to the latest one via a ppa

T3X4S

When you do an update - that isnt part of it ?

simonlang
1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

When you do an update - that isnt part of it ?

usually yes but ubuntu and afaik all ubuntu based distros lacking behind the latest kernel quite a bit.

show us the output of 

uname -a

it will display something like this:

[~] uname -a                                                         
Linux AMD 4.3.6-1-ck #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 19 19:18:24 EST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

usually it is the best to run the latest nvidia driver with the latest kernel. so use a guide like here:

http://tecadmin.net/install-linux-kernel-on-ubuntu/

and modify it to the latest stable kernel release number.

Haggis

mint is on around 3.16 if i recall

simonlang
6 minutes ago, Haggis said:

mint is on around 3.16 if i recall

do they have kernel updates restricted heavily or even turned off per default in their update policies?

sadly, +T3X4S has not told us what mint release he is using and  i don't use mint nor have i any image running in virtualbox to give it a try, so there is a bit of a risk left, still i would do the following for an x64 system:

wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4.5-wily/linux-headers-4.4.5-040405_4.4.5-040405.201603091931_all.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4.5-wily/linux-headers-4.4.5-040405-generic_4.4.5-040405.201603091931_amd64.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4.5-wily/linux-image-4.4.5-040405-generic_4.4.5-040405.201603091931_amd64.deb

then in the directory where the .deb files were downloaded:

sudo dpkg  -i *.deb

then: sudo update-grub

and reboot. 

Haggis

seems i am just behind 4.2 is available in the update manager

Haggis

Kernel 4.2.0-30

work fine on mint 17.3

you can update to it in the update manager

simonlang
8 minutes ago, Haggis said:

Kernel 4.2.0-30

work fine on mint 17.3

you can update to it in the update manager

do you have stage 4 and 5 enabled? 

Haggis

nah i like to stop my build from borking

simonlang

hm interesting so then he should run with a relatively up2date kernel, still i would suggest to update to 4.4.5.

i also would like to know the version of nvidia, here it is 361.28

Haggis

why would you suggest an update to 4.4.5, unless its gonna fix his driver issues its gonna do nothing for him

simonlang
Just now, Haggis said:

why would you suggest an update to 4.4.5, unless its gonna fix his driver issues its gonna do nothing for him

i initially suggested it because i thought he would still be use a relatively old kernel. and if he upgrades to the latest nvidia it's probably better to run the latest kernel as well.  sure, issues could be anywhere else as well, but that's what i would try first. 

Haggis

the best Kernel he can run is one thats supported by the distro in question not one that is not supported

simonlang
2 hours ago, Haggis said:

the best Kernel he can run is one thats supported by the distro in question not one that is not supported

i made contrary experiences with ubuntu back in the day. and what's the worst thing which could happen? the problem remains, he can boot into the old kernel and uninstall the newer one.

another suggestion would be to use the latest nvidia driver, if necessary downloading from their homepage.

what else can he do? 

T3X4S

Thanks for the help - but I nuked the partition.

I'll try again in a couple years - shouldnt have to make all of these adjustments for a modern piece of hardware.

simonlang
9 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Thanks for the help - but I nuked the partition.

I'll try again in a couple years - shouldnt have to make all of these adjustments for a modern piece of hardware.

this is very bad. you post a problem and we try to find a solution (also out of own interest) and instead of trying you give up. 

but yes, you should have. you should have the latest drivers and updates installed. this goes for every OS btw. doing not so, you basically ask for troubles.

T3X4S

Well even after following the instructions on mint's website - (part of which was using the driver manager to get the nVidia driver) - it was completely unstable.

Not just for me - but many many others.   I shouldn't have to be a linux admin just to install an OS

I understand if it was some 15 year old obselete....well I take that back - linux works perfectly for that crap.

I am sorry for the delay - I haven't been able to get onto neowin - my VPN has been blocked for some reason.

I am truly grateful for the help - it wasnt until a little while ago that I nuked it.

I have only gotten back on to neowin after disconnecting to my VPN - (gonna work on that now)

But - it is a bug, I realize - but a big one.
And when the given solution, on their site, results in a very unstable mess - forget it... Im done.  I dont know enough and have enough patience to work through that mess.

FWIW - it was 17.3 MATE and I think the kernel was 3.19.... I think.

I was going to try another distro - but ... Ive lost what little patience I have.

This is always the case I run into with nix - too much hassle.

My apologies for your and everyone else's time that was spent trying to help.

simonlang

and that's why i would have been very interested into knowing the driver version of the proprietary nvidia driver linux mint provides. if i would have to guess i would say it is relatively up2date but maybe 2 version numbers back, at least it has been this case when i was using ubuntu which is similar to mint. downloading the nvidia driver from the nvidia homepage is nothing you have to be an admin for,  in fact, you do exactly the same on windows.

but again, i can only speculate, since i don't use linux mint, therefore numbers would have been highly interesting and valuable. i have given up using ubuntu a while back because, while i liked it, i always had to integrate various ppas to get the latest stuff, so i am now running arch linux, where i have the latest software per default.

running a very new gpu you just have to go for the latest kernel/gpu driver combo imho.

well, better luck next time. i suggest you take 1 day or a weekend (depends on your working pace) and try again and especially, try the solutions we provide with the nice side effect that you learn more about linux and you will be better prepared nex time a problem occurs.  just don't give up for years to come. if i would have given up when i hit the first problem, my 'pc-career' would have ended with windows 95A.

• Like 1
T3X4S

OK - I'll give another distro another shot this weekend.

Today is my 1st day @ Dell - so this week will be busy.

Thanks

• Like 2
simonlang
4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

OK - I'll give another distro another shot this weekend.

Today is my 1st day @ Dell - so this week will be busy.

Thanks

*fingers crossed*. please, keep us up2date here and also ofc ask further questions if needed. 

you work for dell? 

• Like 1
T3X4S

Thanks - should I stick with, or avoid the ubuntu-derived distros ?

simonlang
10 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Thanks - should I stick with, or avoid the ubuntu-derived distros ?

this depends. for a beginner, ubuntu based distros are right. if you don't want to try the very same mint edition again to see if the bug is kernel/driver related or mint related, i would suggest to have a look at ubuntu mate edition

• Like 1