Linux Mint Guide

Haggis
8 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Well - if you get bored and decide to test it out.

Once I added nomodeset after the splash command in GRUB and was able to get to a desktop - I selected the latest nVidia driver that was presented when I went into Driver Manager - it had issues.
Did a reinstall and tried the other nVidia driver (same version but it said "updates" in the title) - to no avail

Since you have same gen - maybe you will see what the weirdness is.

Whats crazy is when it locks up, and I wait long enough it will let me restart - but it wont reboot the computer - it will drop me to a tty login prompt and mention :

blk update request: I/O error 

over and over again

do you have anything usb plugged in such as flash drives, hard drives etc?

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

And the 4.4.0-13 is playing nice so far. Maybe I'll get that nice, shiny updated Nvidia driver to go with it; but not this morning. I need some shut-eye. 5:33 am and I've got family stuff to do later today. I'll be back later on to continue troubleshooting and helping out.

*wave*

• Like 1
T3X4S
19 minutes ago, Haggis said:

do you have anything usb plugged in such as flash drives, hard drives etc?

My headphones are plugged into a USB 3 hub, also my keyboard/mouse are in USB 2 port.  But thats it 

UPDATE:

Rebooted into mint - was greeted with "Cinnamon has just crashed you are in fallback mode.  Do you want to reload Cinnamon" - if I click "yes" it pops up again.  I click no and things are all messed up ...

I think its time to try CentOS - 

Thomas the Tank Engine

I have a directory I cannot delete, because it says it's not empty.

Doing:

ls -a
inside the directory shows the following:

.fuse_hidden00005ca000000003

I have tried:

rm -f .fuse_hidden00005ca000000003
But it won't delete, and because of it, I cannot delete the directory.

EDIT: It now let me move the directory to the trash, not sure why it allowed that, but not to delete the directory.
Thomas the Tank Engine
13 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I've got family stuff to do later today.

Family is overrated, computers are more important!

• Like 1
Thomas the Tank Engine
8 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

And the 4.4.0-13 is playing nice so far.

So, I installed 4.4.0-13 using Update Manager, there were a lot of errors that I saw.  Don't remember where to find the log files or I'd post them here.

Will check if it has a new driver for NVIDIA, although I am on a laptop with a GeForce GTX 660M.

EDIT: Nope, no new video card driver for me, it's still 352.63...unless of course there's another way to get a newer driver.

EDIT 2: Went to NVIDIA's web site and was able to find a new driver for my card: 361.28; however I am not sure how to install drivers for Linux.

Edited by Thomas the Tank Engine
simonlang
16 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

EDIT 2: Went to NVIDIA's web site and was able to find a new driver for my card: 361.28; however I am not sure how to install drivers for Linux.

it's not that difficult. download the file and save it to a path you remember easily ex. ~/Downloads or something.

next, remove all current installed nvidia drivers, also nouveau.

reboot to tty1 and from there navigate to the download directory, and run sudo ./nvidiafilexyz.run 

afair you then land into a pretty oldschool installation program which however is easiy to understand. follow instructions and reboot and you should be done.

Thomas the Tank Engine
9 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

it's not that difficult. download the file and save it to a path you remember easily ex. ~/Downloads or something.

next, remove all current installed nvidia drivers, also nouveau.

reboot to tty1 and from there navigate to the download directory, and run sudo ./nvidiafilexyz.run 

afair you then land into a pretty oldschool installation program which however is easiy to understand. follow instructions and reboot and you should be done.

That sounds too complicated.  There are some times I wish there was an easy installation method for drivers like in Windows, click & install.

simonlang
Just now, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

That sounds too complicated.  There are some times I wish there was an easy installation method for drivers like in Windows, click & install.

it is. that's what you have the update manager for. providing sincle click installation files for drivers for linux would and should not work. otherwise you would have windows with all its security flaws. 

also, it is really not that complicated at all. 

Boo Berry

Easiest way to update GPU drivers on Ubuntu/Mint is by using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Basically just do this;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-361

And that should do it.

P.S. There's a driver newer than 361, 364 which includes some really nice stuff like Vulkan support. To install it instead substitute nvidia-361 with nvidia-364 and update - you can upgrade and downgrade Nvidia drivers using the last command.

Edited by Boo Berry
  • Like 1
Thomas the Tank Engine
17 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Easiest way to update GPU drivers on Ubuntu/Mint is by using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I got the newest driver 364.12, but through Update Manager after adding the PPA.  I was doing it that way while you edited your post, which I just saw the edit about a minute ago.

Thomas the Tank Engine
19 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

364 which includes some really nice stuff like Vulkan support.

I don't think Vulkan support is supported on my video card, because it is a GeForce GTX 660M, so unless NVIDIA has done some extreme magic & backported it, I won't see the effects of it from what I understand.

Thomas the Tank Engine

nvidia-graphics-drivers-352 (352.79-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1) is showing up in Update Manager, should I download it, or deselect the option.

Boo Berry

If you want a newer driver than that one, just use the Terminal and the last command I used above (if you want 361 or 364).

EDIT: You can also open System Settings > Driver Manager and choose which Nvidia driver you want there.

Edited by Boo Berry
Thomas the Tank Engine
4 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

If you want a newer driver than that one, just use the Terminal and the last command I used above (if you want 361 or 364).

Did you miss the following?:

18 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I got the newest driver 364.12, but through Update Manager after adding the PPA.  I was doing it that way while you edited your post, which I just saw the edit about a minute ago.

There are 2 other updates besides:

6 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

nvidia-graphics-drivers-352 (352.79-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1) is showing up in Update Manager, should I download it, or deselect the option.

They are:

libvdpau (1.1.1-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1) Do I need to install this one?

nvidia-settings (364.12-0ubuntu0~gu14.04.2) This one I am going to assume that I need to install.

Boo Berry

If you've got 364.12 installed, you don't need nvidia-graphics-drivers-352. As for the two updates, yes, update them (I have).

Unobscured Vision
1 hour ago, Boo Berry said:

Basically just do this;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-361

And that should do it.

P.S. There's a driver newer than 361, 364 which includes some really nice stuff like Vulkan support. To install it instead substitute nvidia-361 with nvidia-364 and update - you can upgrade and downgrade Nvidia drivers using the last command.

I had no idea about that! Learn something new every day, thanks @Boo Berry. :) I always used xorg-edgers ppa before, but they've fallen behind the times.

49 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Did you miss the following?:

There are 2 other updates besides:

They are:

libvdpau (1.1.1-0ubuntu0~gpu14.04.1) Do I need to install this one?

nvidia-settings (364.12-0ubuntu0~gu14.04.2) This one I am going to assume that I need to install.

That'll be the one. When Nvidia updates a driver they update the components that go along with it, even if it's just bumping the file versions.

10 hours ago, T3X4S said:

My headphones are plugged into a USB 3 hub, also my keyboard/mouse are in USB 2 port.  But thats it 

UPDATE:

Rebooted into mint - was greeted with "Cinnamon has just crashed you are in fallback mode.  Do you want to reload Cinnamon" - if I click "yes" it pops up again.  I click no and things are all messed up ...

I think its time to try CentOS - 

Blah. :( Sorry bud. We gave it a sincere effort. I don't blame you for losing patience, I would have too. Perhaps 16.04 (Mint 18) will behave better. You've been experimenting for four months and coming up short straws. It's not going to work in this iteration, sadly. My apologies for not having the right answers for ya.

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Nice, the 350 and 360-series is Open-Source now. Go Nvidia!

Add the PPA, reload and install using the Driver Manager in Mint. We can probably assume that it's the same in regular Ubuntu using the Drivers tab in Software and Updates.

I'm gonna install the 364.12 driver and see how it behaves.

Thomas the Tank Engine
4 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I'm gonna install the 364.12 driver and see how it behaves.

It's working fine here, haven't played any movies yet, trying to find an actual frontend to MPV.  I did find Bomi, but it refuses to install through the PPA keeps giving me an error.

Boo Berry
20 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I always used xorg-edgers ppa before, but they've fallen behind the times.

That PPA (and the Oibaf PPA) are for Mesa, not proprietary drivers. ;)

14 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Nice, the 350 and 360-series is Open-Source now. Go Nvidia!

They're not open source. Hell would have to freeze over for Nvidia to open source their drivers. :laugh:

Thomas the Tank Engine
24 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

trying to find an actual frontend to MPV.  I did find Bomi, but it refuses to install

Get the following error:

sudo apt-get install bomi

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree       

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

bomi : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1 is to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So, how do I fix the issue?

Unobscured Vision
13 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

That PPA (and the Oibaf PPA) are for Mesa, not proprietary drivers. ;)

They're not open source. Hell would have to freeze over for Nvidia to open source their drivers. :laugh:

Says "Open Source" in the Driver Manager list. :) Pics or it didn't happen, right? Screenie attached.

Spoiler

56f8426418792_Screenshotfrom2016-03-2716

Working pretty well, too. :yes: 

Unobscured Vision
41 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

It's working fine here, haven't played any movies yet, trying to find an actual frontend to MPV.  I did find Bomi, but it refuses to install through the PPA keeps giving me an error.

VLC playing 1080p did fine for me. My CPU can't handle the super-duper UHD stuff (Blu-Ray) so that's a non-starter. Athlon-II X2 ... I think it would croak under the strain hehe.

Anyway, onward. Feel bad we couldn't get @T3X4S sorted though. :( 

Thomas the Tank Engine
12 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

VLC playing 1080p did fine for me.

I have VLC installed, but watching shows or movies the HD isn't coming through.  It does with MPV, but I am looking for a frontend for it like Bomi that allows you to configure it.