Super Nintendo Games Are Coming To New Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo has revealed in its latest Direct that a number of Super Nintendo classics are heading to the eShop. Games like Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, EarthBound, and Super Metroid will soon be available to New Nintendo 3DS owners.  

So far Nintendo has confirmed nine titles that will become available over the course of the next two months, with more games to follow suit in the future. Here's the release schedule given out for the Super Nintendo games we know about, with the first three titles being available later today:

March 3: Pilotwings, Super Mario World, F-Zero 
March 24: Super Mario Kart, EarthBound, Donkey Kong Country
April 14: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

These games will not be available on the regular 3DS or 3DS XL.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/03/super-mario-world-a-link-to-the-past-and-other-super-nintendo-games-coming-to-new-nintendo-3ds.aspx

You read that right, folks, these titles are only available on the New 3DS.

The problem is Ninty is leaving out 2 of their handheld products. It surely isn't because of a hardware limitation.

I would be more impressed if I hadn't been playing them on my phone/tablet/pc/whatever for years already.  Maybe the 3ds needs some Gamecube/Wii Zelda and Mario games?

• Like 1

Meh I'll stick with playing them on PC so I get things like OpenGL shaders that mimic an old NTSC TV set; save states, and other things like cycle-accurate low level emulation that official emulation doesn't provide (emulators that are made by Nintendo). 

higan FTW. Cycle accurate LLE.

And when out and about I'll use Snes9x for Android. Not cycle accurate, but it has save states. 

You know, for many years Nintendo hated emulation and refused to commercialize it themselves. It took them quite a long time to come around. In the 1990s when the first proper NES/FDS and SNES/SFC emulators surfaced like Nesticle and ZSNES there were a lot of people calling for Nintendo to setup a legit way to pay for and download ROM images and use them on modern Nintendo consoles like the N64 -- which would've been possible had Nintendo released the N64DD / Disk Drive. But back then Nintendo was hostile to the concept. 

Since they didn't -- the only legal way to use ROMs and emulation was to dump the carts yourself using very expensive hardware*. Even if you owned, say, the cartridge for Super Mario World for SNES it was still considered copyright infringement to download the ROM image for use in an emulator. 

Emulation also provided opportunities. Such as playing games that were never officially localized in English. I've played many great J-RPGs in a SNES/SFC emulator thanks to the hard work of fan translators and "ROM hackers" who painstakingly localized the game themselves. Also the reversal of censorship like "ROM hacking" Mortal Kombat to have red blood instead of green to match the arcade and Sega Genesis/Megadrive versions. Not to mention custom levels and other mods to platform games like Super Mario World. 

* = Legal by fair-use / backup rights by most countries' definition of copyright law. And remember, this was before the DMCA. 

Edited by DeusProto