Creditting the tipper?

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Broke story first by copying/pasting from another site?

Well, the same can be said about a lot of news items across a lot of sites, some just quote other sites

29 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

17d574c4a623858b5bdb974339b1bc338e4f5e9a

ok that did give me a chuckle

9 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

I'm sure some people would, but may have been put off for one reason or another, and for those who are being put off from wanting to be apart of the team, I don't blame then.

What are you talking about? So people are put off from earning money for posting news? Do you have examples or can explain a little better? Because the only 'put off' I am seeing is that the reporters found the content elsewhere, hardly world ending :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

What are you talking about? So people are put off from earning money for posting news? Do you have examples or can explain a little better? Because the only 'put off' I am seeing is that the reporters found the content elsewhere, hardly world ending :rolleyes:

He means that you can not longer use copy pasted articles to make easy money. Nowadays you have to actually rewrite the source article to become a writer here. 

:p

• Like 2

Well our team has never been bigger in the past two or three years, I don't see the problem and they also write stuff that hasn't been taken from other sources (thankfully, seeing as I have to pay for this privilege :p)

Because I am unable to use the quote feature (due to the software that this forum use) I will need to reply the way I am about to.

First up: I know that being a reporter requires rewriting something (and using quotes when needed).

Secondly: my comment about people being put off from applying is about people not wanting to apply because they fear that they would get a dead no because the staff would look at someone and go "we wont hire or pay this person because he/she doesn't agree with everything that we do".

Now I do have some ideas on topics that I could cover here, but I dont know if I would want to write here as I am afraid that I could get slammed by the staff because there are a few things that I dont agree with.

2 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Because I am unable to use the quote feature (due to the software that this forum use) I will need to reply the way I am about to.

First up: I know that being a reporter requires rewriting something (and using quotes when needed).

Secondly: my comment about people being put off from applying is about people not wanting to apply because they fear that they would get a dead no because the staff would look at someone and go "we wont hire or pay this person because he/she doesn't agree with everything that we do".

Now I do have some ideas on topics that I could cover here, but I dont know if I would want to write here as I am afraid that I could get slammed by the staff because there are a few things that I dont agree with.

I think you bring it upon yourself. This forum has issues. That isn't one of them except for...you. What does that say?

2 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

I can assure you, Steve, reporters and the community staff are listening. ;) 

You can see that from Steve staying active in this thread, myself reading over it (although I'll be more pro-active in replying) and the community staff answering concerns.

If you have any ideas, you're welcome to share them... as is anyone: be that myself, you or Thomas The Tank Engine. As long as it is does in a respectful and constructive manner, there shouldn't be any problem.

I find it very funny that FunkyMike's post just showed up today, even though it says Friday hours before my post.  If it was actually there Friday, then I would not have posted the same exact post, because I always check for the same news before posting!:

7 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I find it very funny that FunkyMike's post just showed up today, even though it says Friday hours before my post.  If it was actually there Friday, then I would not have posted the same exact post, because I always check for the same news before posting!:

If you posted the same thing, the credit was based on what was given to me in the claim (who sent the claim I do not know).

1 hour ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I'm at a loss for words. Please, answer the following questions:

1. Did the author of the article that went to the front page credit his tip? Yes/no/I don't know.
  2. Was that tip a fellow member of the community? Yes/no/I don't know.
  3. Did the author read your post before the other post? Yes/no/I don't know.

Your above point only shows that you're annoyed that you're not getting credit for copying and pasting an article as early as possible. It is not showing a definite sign that our writers are taking your tip and making it their own. If anything, the above point shows that they do credit their tippers when that is where they saw the initial idea for a story.

I can only think of the following suggestion: if you are posting in the BPN with the idea of getting the glory for tipping our writers, stop doing it. Instead, use the Contact Us option and send the information there. But if that really is your goal, you may as well take it a step further and try applying to write for Neowin so that you can have the satisfaction of people reading something that you have put together yourself.

I have a theory. The OP is so abrasive and rude that people are purposely avoiding his threads on purpose and therefore missing them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I have a theory. The OP is so abrasive and rude that people are purposely avoiding his threads on purpose and therefore missing them. 

Could be that -- 

OR Could be - "Oh here is Thomas the Tank again - let me grab a couple lines of his post....copy and paste it into a google ..... oh look ! - here is the exact text on : reddit, slashdot, even freaking technews has it ... - not going to give him credit for something he just rehashed... that would undoubtedly be the messiest case of infinite regress the universe has ever seen and would irrevocably tear the fabric of spacetime - better credit the actual author..... whew!  crisis avoided "

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Could be that -- 

OR Could be - "Oh here is Thomas the Tank again - let me grab a couple lines of his post....copy and paste it into a google ..... oh look ! - here is the exact text on : reddit, slashdot, even freaking technews has it ... - not going to give him credit for something he just rehashed... that would undoubtedly be the messiest case of infinite regress the universe has ever seen and would irrevocably tear the fabric of spacetime - better credit the actual author..... whew!  crisis avoided "

Right.

If I found the article online and share it here for all of you to read... I don't care if I get credit or not...  If I get credit, good.  If not, no problem as long as it has the link to the source.   All I do is post them and move on.

I'd just like to say, virtually all stories I see on BPN I've seen elsewhere, before they made it there. Be it other tech news sites, google news, links in IRC (Neowins and others), Twitter, Skype, linked in the chats of some of my games, etc. The idea that everything on the homepage that shows up after being posted in BPN, was first seen by the writer on BPN is somewhat foolish. Hell you have no idea if said writer(s) even check BPN. I'm willing to bet at least some of the writers check even more places more often than I, so it in no way surprises me that they saw it elsewhere. Be it before your post, or after but still from somewhere else, having never seen your post. The idea that your post was first, ergo they saw yours and made their story from it is just a little silly.

Edited by Ryoken

And finally Vernee gets posted to FPN and this time without even sourcing it:

After I posted about it on the 19th & 23rd:

19th:

23rd:

And the Google Maps error gets posted to FPN:

I posted about it on the 24th:

Sourcing from the same place, I could've have linked to KERA News, but decided to link to Engadget instead.

AMOLED, while sourced differently:

24th:

So, while I post a tonne of stuff, there's no way they are not seeing my posts.  Out of all my posts, I've only been credited once, and that was for my post about the Petya Ransomware.

Simple fix to this..

Staff remove any trace of anything saying that anyone that posts here will be credited to the front page. Then there is no argument to be made here. TTE can go on posting his news for attention, and cant blame anyone if his posts (copy/paste) are on the front page days/hours later.

But is it just put there to shut him up, or if it is real and it was his post that tipped them off ...it has validated what he has been saying.

4 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

And finally Vernee gets posted to FPN and this time without even sourcing it:

[snipped]

So, while I post a tonne of stuff, there's no way they are not seeing my posts.  Out of all my posts, I've only been credited once, and that was for my post about the Petya Ransomware.

If I were you, be a man, and move on.  don't worry about the credits. 

Like I said before, they usually leave credits sometimes... not always. 

If you want your name to be spotlight on every article, then apply to be a writer here.  That's simple.