Poll-time. All linux users please take part

Since when do you use linux?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

simonlang

in this poll i want to get to know since when do you use linux and do you use it exclusively or together with another OS. poll is anonymous btw.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

12 years. Used to dual boot with windows, but with live usb/dvd disks, now I run it that way, or through a VM.

• Like 1
+John Teacake

Ages ago, First as a complete hobbyist OS, Now we run servers on it and I dabble on the Desktop with it now and again. Oh yeah I have some android devices, Does that count?? 

• Like 1
+JHBrown

I started using Linux about 16 years ago, and only to play around with something new. When Microsoft released Windows 8, I bought my first Mac, and built a cheap computer to run Linux. This is when I started to use Linux about three times a week. Fast forward to Windows 10, and now I am actively looking for ways to run Linux full time, and getting ready for the day that my precious Windows 7 is no longer supported. 

• Like 3
simonlang

wow some impressive numbers here already! :) i don't count my first try with the then called suse linux around 2000 because it did last only for a few hours of playing around, but i switched to ubuntu in 2009 and that marked the date when i used linux exclusively, so that's 7 years for me.

Max Norris

Been using it since the late 90's, purely in a server role (not a fan of the desktops) some odd 20 years give or take.  Tried exclusive dekstop use a few times.. not for me, too many things dont play nice, etc etc, if I didn't have specific needs I'd likely switch. These setups (some physical, some virtual) run alongside a few Unix systems, and for desktop I'm primarily a Windows 10 fan now, with a Hackintosh that I toy with off and on but rarely actually use.  Appreciate it, just not my thing. 

• Like 1
+JHBrown
5 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

wow some impressive numbers here already! :) i don't count my first try with the then called suse linux around 2000 because it did last only for a few hours of playing around, but i switched to ubuntu in 2009 and that marked the date when i used linux exclusively, so that's 7 years for me.

How was the transition to full-time usage for you? Software/Games?

• Like 1
simonlang
3 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

How was the transition to full-time usage for you? Software/Games?

it was relatively easy as i had no specified gaming pc (used my xbox for this) . it was a bit of a transition from ms office to libre office but now i am doing all my university work on it with ease. used thunderbird for emails back then on windows and this was the same on linux.  the way of installing additional software was new to me and so was the terminal, but thankfully ubuntu had a great wiki and forum and i was learning by doing and continously improving. some things i liked more compared to windows and that was the IM (i don't remember which one i used)  and that you could customize your taskbar endlessly and add all these small little applets (from the gnome 2 days). i also played around with compiz a bit and felt like 'wow i am getting all these nice effects and gimmicks without having to pay money for a software i would have to on windows'.

longest took me to figure out what 'mounting' was, now it feels like the most logical thing a system does but it was new for me.  the best feeling was that i am finally running something else than windows and this works just as fine and is different.

today i install new linux distros like a did with windows ... just installing them and you know what you get. it's nothing that much special anymore but then also my first PC felt special, the second not so much anymore.

recently i installed arch and the fact alone that i could do it (with the wiki ofc) has shown me that by now i have learnt a lot about linux and also how my system works, which i could not have achieved with windows (where several .bat files back in the win 9x age were the highlights for me, besides some regedit hacks i read in pc magazines) as it has too many restrictions. i also had a mac for half a year and no doubt these are pretty devices i felt like in prison. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Started using it in 2003, first with Mandrake in the "old days" of KDE 2 and Kernel 2.4. Bopped around that for a while and experimented. Afterwards (2004) Debian was my distro of choice until Ubuntu hit the scene, dual-booted that (or a derivative) until last Autumn with Windows; deleted my Windows install not too long ago but I hadn't bothered to even boot into it since October. There was simply no need. 'Nix does everything I need it to, and I'm not doing much gaming these days.

• Like 1
T3X4S

Only recently ... its OK - nothing to post about.  However I did make the move from VM to dual boot.

• Like 2
+longgonebn

Back and forth between Windows for most of my computer years (I'm 27).

• Like 2
Gotenks98

Been using it since I got involved with the raspberry pi 2. I use Windows 10 or OSX mostly. I use linux only when there is something that the other 2 OSes can't do easily.

• Like 1
simplezz

Over 13 years ago now probably. I started off with dual boots, then slowly migrated to exclusively GNU/Linux. I have other guest VM OS' such as Android, OS X, and Windows available if I need to write any platform specific code or do some testing. Linux is simply the best OS I've ever used period. It's configurable from the ground up, incredibly stable, has one of the richest built-in app stores (software repositories in GNU/Linux lingo) including some of the best package management out there, and a community that's unparalleled in its dedication.

Once you go full GNU/Linux, you'll never want to leave :)

• Like 2
vhane

First time I installed Linux was 16 years ago. I dual booted with Windows at first, and eventually used it, then FreeBSD as my primary client OS. I switched to OS X in 2006 and still use that as my main client OS. For servers I'm now running 100% Linux. Unfortunately I don't use FreeBSD anymore. I still have huge respect for it though.

• Like 1
binaryzero

So out of you all - who actually uses linux for a living, and uses it to pay the bills?

• Like 1
vhane
12 minutes ago, Jared- said:

So out of you all - who actually uses linux for a living, and uses it to pay the bills?

I do. On servers. Everything that I build runs on unix type systems.

• Like 1
SpeedyTheSnail

Been using Linux since 2006, dabbled probably in 2000. Used to dual boot with Windows, however since my school work and some work related work requires Windows, I only use Windows 7 now. I'd switch if Linux was supported by major software manufactures to provide major applications, rather than having some crappy open source versions that become dead projects after two years.

• Like 1
redvamp128

Back and forth - depends on the computer I am on- When I am at work WINDOWS and if I use my laptop I use LINUX (mainly because it had WINXP on it and LINUX is a far better choice for security and hardware)  Though been running some form of Linux for over 8 years now.  There was a time that I only had LINUX only.... but only for about 2 years until I started taking online courses.

• Like 1
simonlang

wow this topic is rolling nicely guys! i knew there were some long term users here, but it looks like there are actually much more than i expected. :)

• Like 1
Xahid

More than 15 years, started with RedHat, still fan of Redhat. and only use them on Servers.

• Like 1
Haggis

I have used it longer than 5 years but not exclusively, i have used only linux on my own machines in the last 5 years, i am forced to use windows on my work computer lol

• Like 1
cork1958

Only have about 5 years experience here, although have dabbled longer than that. Using it much more now with all the stupid moves MS is making on it's OS, including the 3 Windows 7 computers I still have that take an hour plus just to check for updates on patch Tuesday.

As far as one post about who uses it to pay bills and stuff, I definitely have no problems with that as there is no difference between OS's doing that.

Used to dual boot but got to the point of thinking that didn't make much sense. Was using Debian for the past couple years but then came across a light weight version of Lubuntu called Quelito, http://wavesofthefuture.net/computers/linux-operating-system-refurbish-computer-free.shtml that runs very well on older as well as newer machines and doesn't have nearly the bloat of regular Ubuntu junk.

Still have 3 Windows machines here along with 5 Quelito machines. Can't switch one Windows machine as it is the wife's and my other 2, I am in the process of seeing if my external devices will work in Linux and then those 2 may become Linux boxes.

• Like 1
ZakO

I first dual booted with Linux when Mandrake 5 was released (1998), I've used a lot of distributions on and off (sometimes exclusively) since then, but ultimately even for software development I prefer a combination of Windows / OSX so I doubt I'll ever install it for serious use again apart from on servers. 

• Like 1
Yogurth

Ten and more Years, always in VM as my working software does not exist on linux. If I remember it correctly my first distro was Red Hat Linux 9, abandoned shortly after release by the company, later on I moved to Mandriva (then still called Mandrake), SUSE was next, followed by Ubuntu, which is still my main Linux distro in form of Ubuntu Studio. i do test from time to time some newer distributions like Elemenary OS, Deepin....

Edited by Yogurth
  • Like 1
Max Norris
10 hours ago, Jared- said:

Partially yes.  Some of my contract work includes babysitting database servers, building back end web services, networking, etc etc, a good portion of that is on *Nix based systems.  In my particular experience anyway, Windows (in the workplace/enterprise) has been primarily front-end, as a guess I'd say approx 95%,  with *Nix being about 75% of my back-end work, it's not exclusive though as I do take care of a good number of Windows based servers too, depends on the stack being used.. right tool for the job and all that.

• Like 1