Poll-time. All linux users please take part

Since when do you use linux?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Setnom

I've been using linux, on or off, but never as my main OS, since 2002. My first distribution was Mandriva 9.0. Back then it was called Mandrake.

• Like 1
Barney T.

I have used Linux since RedHat 7. I have tried most of the most popular distros and was our project manager on Shift Linux (Neowin's sponsored Linux distro). I have Xubuntu currently as my main OS however I also use Windows , BSD, and OS X, as I feel that each and all OS versions have their pluses and minuses. I am not a OS snob by any means. I love them all.

• Like 3
President Devil

More than a decade and it's never replaced my use of Windows as my main OS yet. Right now it's Ubuntu (which I'll be sticking with for future Linux use), but in the past I've used all kinds of distributions like Knoppix, RedHat and SUSE (and another form of Debian for the Raspberry PI).

Edited by President Devil
  • Like 1
Gabe84

I had tried Kubuntu years ago, I think it was 2007 and liked it overall, but then when I upgraded to 9.10 my computer couldn't handle it and I switched back to XP. When Microsoft ended XP's support I installed Lubuntu 14.04 and I've been using only Linux since then.

I'm pretty satisfied, I would say I'm 90/95% satisfied, but there's that 5/10%, while there are workarounds there are softwares that I do not necessarily need to use but that I would like to use that do not work properly, like Silverlight which is still used by TV networks here therefore I can't stream live tv on my computer, Office, companies do expect you to be able to use Office and after years of using only LibreOffice - my last Office was 2007 - switching to Office when at work is not that immediate, they're comparable in functionality but how you actually access those functionalities and use them is completely different, OneDrive, being lazy I'm tired of reuploading a file every single time I modify it, I have not tried to connect my Windows Phone to my Linux and see what happens yet, and maybe games, both browser games and real games, I'm not a gamer but maybe in the future I would like to play a game and with Linux there's always the chance that game won't be supported.

As for my next computer I'm still pondering if going back 100% to Windows, keep Linux or dual boot 10 + some -buntu, sometimes I even think about a triple boot: 10 + buntu + OS X, for no particular reason whatsoever, just because, I'm just curious about using OS X and I don't want to pay the premium for a Apple computer.

• Like 1
DavidM

I used it off and on for years, starting with Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but I selected "since a year" because that's when I started using it more than Windows. I started running Arch with Xfce last year while taking some classes for Linux as part of my Network Admin program. We logged into a server running CentOS to do our school work, but I wanted to try something more current on my laptop, so I picked Arch after hearing how difficult it was to install. It wasn't as easy as point and click, but no where near the level it's reputation would have you believing.

Now, I dual boot with Win8.1 and Xubuntu, because Cisco doesn't officially support Arch and I needed Packet Tracer for the CCNA class I taking now. I like Arch much better, but Xubuntu is also pretty good.

• Like 1
coolguy80

I've been using Linux, since 2002 and first experienced Linux OS in 1999 in our computer lab during Engineering degree course. RedHat 7.1 IIRC was the first one I tried. Later sticked with Debian Woody, Sarge and in between distro hopped hundreds of times with many rpm based and few dpkg based distros as well as Gentoo. Unlike many, My interest was in figuring out the system to work in it's earlier days when Sata controllers were not supported (2.4.x kernels), learned a lot with Linux - command line usage, kernel recompiling, debian packaging basics etc. It is mostly Linux alone during all these years. Currently using LMDE 2 as the sole OS. I will be shifting to Debian soon, as Debian Linux seems to be, what I'm more comfortable with.. (all it's rough edges).

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

10ish, every since i learned to use DSL 

• Like 1
James7

Since Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu). Also, I was involved in the Shift Linux project a number of years ago. I've used Linux as my primary system, but I also use OSX and Windows. :)

• Like 1
Snake89

I've been using Linux off and on since Redhat 5.2, then moved onto other things such as beOS and FreeBSD. I only got into Linux because of a networking course i was taken in College .

• Like 1