Linux Kernel 4.4.0-13 & Virtualbox

I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 (with cinnamon as the desktop environment) . . . before I installed 4.4.0-13 I could run a virtual machine of Windows 7 Ultimate, but since installing and using 44013 I get this error when starting a virtual machine:

56ede5637c5c8_Screenshotfrom2016-03-1918 Googling and or trying to boot into grub has not worked . . .

The error says it all. The vbox host modules need to be recompiled upon kernel changes. DKMS should do this for you automatically when you have it enabled. The quick solution is normally to reinstall the host modules package thereby forcing a recompilation for your current kernel. By the looks of that message though, you can reinstall by running that command in blue. Specifically - /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

It's also possible that DKMS is already enabled and an error was encountered during recompilation. In which case, you're probably missing the requisite kernel header package. On Arch Linux it's called linux-headers, but it varies from distro to distro. Ensure that package matches your current kernel.

The main driver can be manually loaded (assuming it's been built for the current kernel) via:

$ modprobe vboxdrv

Edited by simplezz

Kernels after 4.2 have always been flaky for me. I went back to using a 4.2 simply because of the DKMS weirdness. If it wasn't the vbox host driver, it was the nvidia driver. going back to 4.2 fixed it all for me; so I suggest using the 4.2 kernel.

You can install it using Mint's Software Updater -> Linux Kernels. Once you've got it installed, reboot. After reboot, reinstall Virtualbox and reboot again and everything should be okay.

28 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Kernels after 4.2 have always been flaky for me. I went back to using a 4.2 simply because of the DKMS weirdness. If it wasn't the vbox host driver, it was the nvidia driver. going back to 4.2 fixed it all for me; so I suggest using the 4.2 kernel.

You can install it using Mint's Software Updater -> Linux Kernels. Once you've got it installed, reboot. After reboot, reinstall Virtualbox and reboot again and everything should be okay.

It's working fine on 4.4.5 for me. But then again, I'm running Arch not Mint.

Downloaded installed and got 4.2.0-34 to be used and virtual machine works fine now, no need to reinstall. Strangely for 4.4.x steam no longer shows in the start menu. But clicking the desktop icon starts it just fine.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dlf said:

Downloaded installed and got 4.2.0-34 to be used and virtual machine works fine now, no need to reinstall. Strangely for 4.4.x steam no longer shows in the start menu. But clicking the desktop icon starts it just fine.

Right-click the menu applet icon in the taskbar, configure, then "open the menu editor", go to Games, then make sure the Steam icon is checked. That should make it visible again.

using arch i would also have said it's something with dkms,  do you have virtualbox-host-dkms and virtualbox-guest-dkms installed?