• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Quick question about receiver compatability

Vydall    0

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my speakers that came with my Pioneer receiver. They are fairly old and sound a bit worn out. But anyway,  I'm wondering if this set of speakers will work with this my reciever, more specifically, the sub. It has a single coax and is a powered sub.

My receiver is a Pioneer Model SX-315.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Vydall    0

Bump

Jim K    12,789

I do not see any issue ... the impedances match (6 ohms).  Only small issue is that you'll need to get a RCA to regular speaker wire for the sub (or just splice your own).

Vydall    0

It won't harm the sub or receiver to just splice the wire? I've never had a powered sub before, that's why I'm asking?

Jim K    12,789

It should be fine...as the sub output on the receiver should be sending the proper signal.  If you are not getting proper bass response (or it just sounds like crap) ... you may need to get a high level sub output to RCA line converter (which can be purchased for around 10 bucks).

Anyway ... just hook up everything at low volumes. :)

• Like 1

+Fahim S.    1,084

Power-amping an already power-amped signal is generally a very bad idea.  It will distort and muddy the sound like crazy.  As @jjkusaf said, keep your levels low and you might get away with it.

The right thing to do, I am afraid to say, is to buy a new receiver.  Even a cheap one would do the trick.  The cheapest one I see on Amazon, would do the trick.

• Like 1

Jim K    12,789
2 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Power-amping an already power-amped signal is generally a very bad idea.  It will distort and muddy the sound like crazy.  As @jjkusaf said, keep your levels low and you might get away with it.

The right thing to do, I am afraid to say, is to buy a new receiver.  Even a cheap one would do the trick.  The cheapest one I see on Amazon, would do the trick.

Yea, I wasn't sure if his receiver sub output was powered or not ... but the more I thought about it the more I realized it was.  However, I think getting a line output converter would allow him to connect the receiver's subwoofer output and convert it to a line-leveling signal to plug into the subwoofer's amp.  Similar to how you wire a car's factory radio to an aftermarket amp/subwoofer.