It's Official, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Now Lets Users Move the Unity Launcher to Bottom

Thomas the Tank Engine

We reported this as a rumor last month, but now it is official, and the packages needed to move the Unity Launcher of Ubuntu Linux to the bottom of the screen have finally landed in the main repositories.

It is probably the most requested feature ever for the Ubuntu Linux operating system, and Ubuntu Unity developer Marco Trevisan announced yesterday on his Google+ page that Canonical finally decided to merge the hard work done by the Ubuntu Kylin team to bring the Unity 7 Launcher on the bottom edge.

Marco Trevisan mentioned in his quick announcement that one needs to run a command to move the Unity Launcher to the bottom of the screen. Curious to see if it works, we have executed the respective command, but nothing happened, and it looks like there's no button or check box in the system settings to allow you to do that.

Read the rest: http://news.softpedia.com/news/it-s-official-ubuntu-16-04-lts-now-lets-you-move-the-unity-launcher-to-bottom-501932.shtml

• Like 2
simonlang

yep i read about this a few days ago. nice if they give the user more choice. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Interesting, I've got this installed in a VM. I'll update it and see how it behaves. Thanks for the info. :yes: 

Unobscured Vision

Works as advertised. :yes: 

VirtualBox_ubuntu1604_21_03_2016_02_35_0

• Like 1
Yorak

Only four years late. Unity is just not powerful or modern desktop environment. I will say that Ubuntu has come a long way in its development, but it still is not great for me. Not that I use Ubuntu, but if I were to get 16.04 I would definitely grab the Mate edition.

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision
43 minutes ago, Yorak said:

Only four years late. Unity is just not powerful or modern desktop environment. I will say that Ubuntu has come a long way in its development, but it still is not great for me. Not that I use Ubuntu, but if I were to get 16.04 I would definitely grab the Mate edition.

I've been VM test driving the Mate Edition too, and it's a good one. The stock Ubuntu is a decent base for an LTS release, certainly -- nothing really earth-shattering as far as changes go, as an LTS release should be. KDE and Mate Editions are where the action will be this time around.

Linux Mint 18 will have a good, solid foundation later this summer. :yes: