Breaking : 2 Explosions heard at Brussels airport

Story in OP link updated

stories/2016/03/22/two-explosions-heard-brussels-airport.html

Explosions have torn through the departure hall of Brussels airport, killing up to 13 people and injuring 35 others, while a second blast struck a metro station in the capital shortly afterwards, Belgian public broadcaster RTBF says.

Shots were fired and Arabic shouted before the bomb blasts, according to Belgian news agency Belga, as there were reports of an explosion at Maalbeek metro station in the city.

The country's public broadcaster VRT said there were up to 13 people dead and a further 35 wounded.

Video and images on social media showed smoke rising from an airport building and shattered windows.

Confused and shocked passengers fled the terminal to safety as they were evacuated by armed police.

Footage also showed ceiling tiles littered across the floor and strewn black luggage belts, cases and bags at a check-in desk.

According to reports the suspected terror attack centred on an American Airlines desk in a departure hall at around 8am.

Airport spokeswoman Anke Fransen said: "There were two blasts in the departure hall. First aid team are in place for help."

A police official added: "One person has died and perhaps there are several more."

The attack comes as the Belgian capital is on high alert following the dramatic arrest of Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam in the city last Friday.
>

I've just seen that my friend was Facetiming with someone that was in the airport when it happened. Her friend is ok, but jesus...

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

I've just seen that my friend was Facetiming with someone that was in the airport when it happened. Her friend is ok, but jesus...

So you seen your friend facetiming their friend who was at the airport?

2 minutes ago, Dinggus said:

So you seen your friend facetiming their friend who was at the airport?

I just saw on Facebook that my friend posted an update. "Scariest moment of my life just happened. I was facetiming with [her friend] who was in the airport when the explosions hit."

7 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I just saw on Facebook that my friend posted an update. "Scariest moment of my life just happened. I was facetiming with [her friend] who was in the airport when the explosions hit."

Jesus Nick!

Glad to hear they are all OK.

*sigh*

I don't care what anyone says, these people are mad dog insane, and should be exterminated with extreme prejudice.  I'm sick and tired of all the "mamby pamby" kid gloves treatment of these buggers and I now retract any prior comments I've made about "better to lock them away".  When faced with a rabid dog, you shoot it and that's that.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

*sigh*

I don't care what anyone says, these people are mad dog insane, and should be exterminated with extreme prejudice.  I'm sick and tired of all the "mamby pamby" kid gloves treatment of these buggers and I now retract any prior comments I've made about "better to lock them away".  When faced with a rabid dog, you shoot it and that's that.

You're sounding more American than usual, should probably take a break from all the Real News from anything US related. /s

• Like 3

Just now, Dinggus said:

You're sounding more American than usual, should probably take a break from all the Real News from anything US related. /s

I know... It's kinda sad really... But hey, everyone has their limits of what they can put up with, y'know? :(

44 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I know... It's kinda sad really... But hey, everyone has their limits of what they can put up with, y'know? :(

After Israel, 9/11, London, Paris, and now this, it's gotta be clear that those people really don't give two hoots whether Western Civilization is "nice" or "fair". It's kill or be killed -- and it's a shame that it's come to that point, but the Terrorists have brought this upon themselves. Trying to reason with them doesn't work. Being fair does nothing. The only thing they understand is the business end of a weapon.

Time to eradicate the roaches amongst humanity.

the sad thing is, when Adbeslam was arrested their were a lot of youths (reports say about 200) on the street throwing stuff at the police while they were arresting him. How can you save a neighbourhood like that were an entire generation apparently has been influenced by such radical thoughts, they are lost for society, and it's so disconcerting to see it happen. What are we going to do, put them all in jail? They will be even worse when they get out.

On a day like this, everyone shifts somewhat more to the right, and everything we value and treasure about our way of living suffers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

After Israel, 9/11, London, Paris, and now this, it's gotta be clear that those people really don't give two hoots whether Western Civilization is "nice" or "fair". It's kill or be killed -- and it's a shame that it's come to that point, but the Terrorists have brought this upon themselves. Trying to reason with them doesn't work. Being fair does nothing. The only thing they understand is the business end of a weapon.

Time to eradicate the roaches amongst humanity.

The problem is that most of them have probably been indoctrinated into thinking they are fighting the good fight, so killing them is just a bandaid. From their perspective it allows them to validate their claims, play the victim role and indoctrinate more people.

The only way to stop this on the long term is to cut their supplies of people falling for their ######, through education and better living standards.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dinggus said:

26 dead, 130 injured.

Terrorism will never die, it can't be defeated.

Sadly, the death toll is now 34. 14 at the airport, 20 at the metro. :(

I expect there will be more in due course...

• Like 1

It's disgusting now to see Obama throwing his another hypocritical speech on this. That's mainly his fault of anarchy on middle east, spreading sunni fascism, ukrainian and baltic fascism and those terracts in Europe. That is him who performs this kind of international policy that leads to it.

Just now, coth said:

It's disgusting now to see Obama throwing his another hypocritical speech on this. That's mainly his fault of anarchy on middle east, spreading sunni fascism, ukrainian and baltic fascism and those terracts in Europe. That is him who performs this kind of international policy that leads to it.

Oh let's not get political now. Obama has offered his support and condolences like any other country, let's leave it at that.

I see IS have claimed responsibility: http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-35869266

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ichi said:

The problem is that most of them have probably been indoctrinated into thinking they are fighting the good fight, so killing them is just a bandaid. From their perspective it allows them to validate their claims, play the victim role and indoctrinate more people.

The only way to stop this on the long term is to cut their supplies of people falling for their ######, through education and better living standards.

That's been tried, over and over again. Thirty-some years of trying to reason, negotiate, understand, give latitude, and for what? So we can be laughed at, scorned, and eventually be targeted? Because that's ultimately what ends up happening. The time for talking is done. These aren't "rational, logical, properly reasoning" human beings we're dealing with. Every single one of them wants us, and everything we stand for, destroyed. 

And it's not the Muslims, or Islam, that I'm referring to. I want to make that clear. It's these Radical, Extremist, Fundamentalist, Jihadist, Terrorist, Daesh, ISIS, ISIL, whatever the blue blazes they want to call themselves nowadays that seem to think they are "the chosen" egomaniacal flubber-whatever. They are the ones who have been doing this crap, in one form or another, for the past forty-odd years, that need to be ended. They didn't just start doing this crap fifteen years ago, folks -- it's been going on since the late sixties when Arafat invented the concept of "Suicide Bombing". Yes, it was ARAFAT who came up with that idea. It all started with him.