Breaking : 2 Explosions heard at Brussels airport

36 minutes ago, ctebah said:

If it was as easy as you say, it would have been done already.  Multiple times...

No. We're just lucky the sources aren't better known or obvious, which is why I'm not specifying them. Fortunately, DHS has started addressing the problem.

Edited by DocM

2 hours ago, DocM said:

No. We're just lucky the sources aren't better known or obvious, which is why I'm not specifying them. Fortunately, DHS has started addressing the problem.

No, don't be ridiculous.  Those that run terrorist organizations are much, much smarter than you.  It's not so easy to make these weapons as you make it out to be.  

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

It is easy, there are thousands of Nukes missing from the Former USSR. All is needed is radioactive material and a suitcase.

No it's not.  And there aren't thousands of nukes missing.  Please stop ruining this site with your constant posting of lies....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctebah said:

No, don't be ridiculous.  Those that run terrorist organizations are much, much smarter than you.  It's not so easy to make these weapons as you make it out to be.  

I doubt it. Radioisotopes were a big part of my career path. 

This isn't rocket science. A "dirty bomb" isn't a nuclear explosive. It's simply a conventional explosive core surrounded by a container of radioisotope(s) in powdered, granular or liquid solution form.

No it's not.  And there aren't thousands of nukes missing.  Please stop ruining this site with your constant posting of lies....

According to the US Energy Dept. about 2,700 kg of enriched uranium and plutonium shipped overseas for kick-starting foreign nuclear energy programs is AWOL. Gone. Casper. A rudimentary bomb needs about 25 kg of uranium or 8 kg plutonium.

Now consider stocks of plutonium at France's Cap de la Hague site and the UK's Dounreay site likely exceed 350 tonnes. How good is their security? Has it been infiltrated and material stolen as has happened in the US?

That's just 3 countries. 

Edited by DocM

@DocM and @Gary7 are correct in their assessments. There are missing weapons as well as missing stockpiles of materials from the catalogs of the USSR alone that have never been located. That stuff ended up somewhere. Then there are security breaches from time to time that don't get reported in the Mainstream News, etc. It adds up.

And that's not something I'd ever want to see happen -- where such devices; dirty, chemical or otherwise, are ever used by Terrorists or anyone else.

So when I see someone complimenting Terrorists for their intelligence by saying "they're much, much more intelligent than you", quite frankly I need to step in and challenge that statement.

All they are is good at organizing. Big deal -- My mother can organize. 

That does not qualify as intelligence, because if they were intelligent then first of all they'd realize that their activities are going to have a single end result -- death. Their own. Nothing will change that. Their chances of survival are maybe, maybe 5%. They might as well wear a Hijab when they go out in public, because that big target on their backs and heads is going to shine like a thousand suns if they're ever discovered to be the "ringleaders".

If they pull off a job like that -- setting off a radiological or chemical device somewhere -- and they were the Leader of that Terrorist Org responsible for it?! Pfft. THEY'RE DONE. MORE THAN DONE. EVERYONE WOULD COME AFTER THEM -- ALL AT ONCE. WITH THE BIG STICKS. THEY KILLED THEMSELVES AND EVERYONE THEY LOVE ALONG WITH THEM. EVEN THE INNOCENTS.

How's that for intelligence? I'm TELLING you, and anyone else who thinks Terrorists are "smart" -- THEY AREN'T. 

3 hours ago, DocM said:

This isn't rocket science. A "dirty bomb" isn't a nuclear explosive. It's simply a conventional explosive core surrounded by a container of radioisotope(s) in powdered, granular or liquid solution form.

According to the US Energy Dept. about 2,700 kg of enriched uranium and plutonium shipped overseas for kick-starting foreign nuclear energy programs is AWOL. Gone. Casper. A rudimentary bomb needs about 25 kg of uranium or 8 kg plutonium.

I personally think it's likely such material ended up in North Korea or Iran.  Terrorists probably don't have the cashflow to get their hands on such material... Hopefully.  Certainly, that they haven't detonate a dirty bomb already would indicate they can't.

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Now consider stocks of plutonium at France's Cap de la Hague site and the UK's Dounreay site likely exceed 350 tonnes. How good is their security? Has it been infiltrated and material stolen as has happened in the US?

That's just 3 countries. 

Though I can't say for sure, I would think UK/France security at those places (and others) is more than sufficient.  Seeing as our government can't seem to keep a secret for more than 5 minutes these days, if some had gone astray, the papers would have found out by now.

8 hours ago, DocM said:

I don't.  Those that run terrorist organizations are on a much higher intellectual level than you.  They don't go around saying ridiculous things like these.  If it was as easy, it would have been done.  

That's just 3 countries

Their security is good.  Just because the US can't keep its material safe doesn't mean other countries are the same.  Besides, that material isn't missing.  

GAO hasn’t reported that any uranium or plutonium has gone missing — just that certain guidelines may not have been met

Theoretically, we know [where the nuclear material is kept]. But we don’t have a good accounting of where it all is. We’re relying on them. We’re not, to coin a phrase, trusting but verifying,” the source says.

You're starting to sound a lot like Gary...

8 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

That does not qualify as intelligence, because if they were intelligent then first of all they'd realize that their activities are going to have a single end result -- death. Their own. Nothing will change that. Their chances of survival are maybe, maybe 5%. They might as well wear a Hijab when they go out in public, because that big target on their backs and heads is going to shine like a thousand suns if they're ever discovered to be the "ringleaders".

What a ridiculous post.  They're very smart and they're willing to die for their goals.  How they die, how much collateral damage and how big the target on their back is completely irrelevant. 

21 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Mujahideen, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh - are all the names of the same entity of wahhabi terrorists. 

hezbollah,  Houthis, death squads in Iraq are not sunni or wahabbi.   its an Islamic problem. 

24 minutes ago, guru said:

lol sure. I just wanted to point out Shias as much culpable as Sunnis.

Culpable, yes.  But nothing is worse than Wahabbi that the Saudis are spreading...

They apparently have arrested the (possibly / still unconfirmed) third person at the airport (the one in lighter color attire).  Identified as Faycal C ... was a freelance reporter who appeared on Belgium newscast.

Belgian prosecutors said that Faycal C had been detained outside the prosecutor's office in Brussels on Thursday. A search of his home had found no weapons.

Faycal C was charged with "participation in the activities of a terrorist group, terrorist murders and attempted terrorist murders," a statement said.

It gave no further details and made no comment on Belgian media reports that he was the third man in an airport CCTV image that showed the two suicide bombers - Najim Laachraoui on the left, and Brahim el-Bakraoui. Belgian media say the third man is Faycal Cheffou, a freelance journalist.

The third man, wearing a hat and pale jacket, also had luggage packed with explosives. However he was said to have fled without detonating his device. It was detonated in a controlled explosion once the departures hall was cleared.

BBC Source

3 hours ago, ctebah said:

What a ridiculous post.  They're very smart and they're willing to die for their goals.  How they die, how much collateral damage and how big the target on their back is completely irrelevant. 

Psychosis and intelligence isn't the same thing at all. When mass murder is committed, and it's not for any reason other than "to kill the infidels" or some other nonsense like that, then it falls in the realm of psychosis and brainwashing. These unfortunates have been taken advantage of, manipulated, and goaded into performing an act because they've been programmed to do so. Human beings could not, and would not commit such an act under normal circumstances. Even Militaries (under normal circumstances) take care to avoid civilian casualties whenever possible. These people do it deliberately. Suicide is a sign of mental illness; but they seem to treat it as some "ultimate reward".

It's a sham, and they need to be made to see that it's a sham and that they've been hoodwinked this whole time. Bamboozled. Run amuk. They didn't land in Iraq -- Iraq landed on them. 

(NOW do I have your attention? Black Lives Matter? I can't breathe? Don't shoot? Pfft.)

I'm a Psychology Major/Sociology Minor in College right now. You're not going to win this argument with me.

2 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Psychosis and intelligence isn't the same thing at all. When mass murder is committed, and it's not for any reason other than "to kill the infidels" or some other nonsense like that, then it falls in the realm of psychosis and brainwashing. These unfortunates have been taken advantage of, manipulated, and goaded into performing an act because they've been programmed to do so. Human beings could not, and would not commit such an act under normal circumstances. Even Militaries (under normal circumstances) take care to avoid civilian casualties whenever possible. These people do it deliberately. Suicide is a sign of mental illness; but they seem to treat it as some "ultimate reward".

Man you got no idea what you're saying.  These guys are much smarter than you and me will ever be.  They also employ and pay for people (that are also same as them) to build bombs and even drones.  Their goal isn't necessarily death but if they die for their goal, so be it.  That doesn't make them any less intelligent.  

2 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I'm a Psychology Major/Sociology Minor in College right now. You're not going to win this argument with me.

Bahahahaha.  Sure sure, and I'm Bill Gates and I'm going to give $1 million to whoever likes this post.  

11 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

It's a sham, and they need to be made to see that it's a sham and that they've been hoodwinked this whole time. Bamboozled. Run amuk. They didn't land in Iraq -- Iraq landed on them. 

(NOW do I have your attention? Black Lives Matter? I can't breathe? Don't shoot? Pfft.)

....but as you said ... psychosis and intelligence can be and sometimes are separated.  You can be so lost with reality about what you believe in (like 72 virgins...death to infidels...etc) ... yet still be smart and rational enough to coordinate/plan/execute mass terrorism in order to  meet those 72 virgins.  That is what makes these terrorist .... well terrorizing.  They do not appreciate the basic dignity of life, want to be martyrs, and are smart enough to tactically carry out their terrorist activities.  

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

....but as you said ... psychosis and intelligence can be and sometimes are separated.  You can be so lost with reality about what you believe in (like 72 virgins...death to infidels...etc) ... yet still be smart and rational enough to coordinate/plan/execute mass terrorism in order to  meet those 72 virgins.  That is what makes these terrorist .... well terrorizing.  They do not appreciate the basic dignity of life, want to be martyrs, and are smart enough to tactically carry out their terrorist activities.  

More than rational, diabolical. A hallmark of sociopaths; zero empathy, interested only in their own goals (whatever they are) and above average intelligence. Those are your terrorist leaders and many of the cell leaders. 

The majority are followers, seduced by the attraction of being part of a large movement. See BLM, OWS etc. where half of those interviewed can hardly form a coherent sentence.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The key remaining suspect in November's Paris terror attacks, Mohamed Abrini, has been arrested, Belgian media say.

Sources cited in Belgian media say Abrini is also likely to be the "man in the hat" seen on CCTV before the blasts in the Brussels airport departure hall on 22 March.

Prosecutors confirmed that several arrests had been made in connection with the Brussels attacks.

The attacks on the airport and a metro station left 32 dead.

The gun and bomb attacks in Paris on 13 November killed 130 people.

New footage

Although the Belgian federal prosecutor confirmed that "there have been several arrests in the course of the day in connection with the attacks on the airport and metro", they would give no further details.

Local media reports suggest that Abrini, on the run for five months, was arrested in the Anderlecht district of Brussels.

The Associated Press quoted French police as saying that he was one of the arrested men. He had not been directly linked to the Brussels attacks until today.

BBC Source