• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Driven or Own a Dodge Charger?

Recommended Posts

Thomas the Tank Engine    420

Thinking about getting one.  My choice of vehicle is limited because of my size, so either a sedan or an SUV, but my preference is for a sedan and my choice is a Charger.

 

So, has anyone driven or owned a Charger, preferably within the last few years of models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,144

Drove a 2015 rental. Hated it. It tries to be sporty, but is way too heavy and soft. Headlights were the worst I've ever used. 297 horsepower felt like less than 200. I was happy to get my Hyundai back from the shop. Despite similar horsepower, it sure didn't feel like it. 

 

That at was a bottom end model though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,555

Big in size as in width or height? I am 6'5 and drove a 2015 charger for about a week while traveling to see a friend out of state. Midway through I hated it and wish I went for an SUV, it wasn't as roomy as I would have liked and I didnt find the leg room to be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,144
1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Big in size as in width or height? I am 6'5 and drove a 2015 charger for about a week while traveling to see a friend out of state. Midway through I hated it and wish I went for an SUV, it wasn't as roomy as I would have liked and I didnt find the leg room to be enough.

It's a really big car for as little clearance as you get too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
24 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I am 6'5 and drove a 2015 charger for about a week while traveling to see a friend out of state. Midway through I hated it and wish I went for an SUV, it wasn't as roomy as I would have liked and I didnt find the leg room to be enough.

I am just shy of 6', but I am not proportionate, my height is all in my legs, so I have a hard time with a lot of sedans, the Charger was the only one I could sit in comfortably, but the one I checked out in June of last year had a sunroof, so I lost 2" in space because of that, the salesperson agreed if I go with a Charger, get one without a sunroof.

 

22 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It's a really big car for as little clearance as you get too. 

I sat in a Chevy Camaro last July, and with the seat in the default position, my head was touching the roof, even lowering the seat didn't help all that much, plus for some odd reason I couldn't see well over the hood.

---------------

I was told it was pointless to even sit in a Ford Mustang because out of all three "muscle" cars, it's going to be the hardest of the three for me to fit in.

 

I haven't tried sitting in an SUV yet, but I'm just not into that model of vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidM    329

I drove one, I'm 5'11" and found it to be roomy, but they were getting hit with passenger air bag recalls, so I skipped it in 2011. There was an irate customer at the Dodge dealer here in Tucson when I was test driving it, he claimed his passenger side air bag deployed at a stop light for no reason. I have no idea if this was true but other complaints were showing up at Safercar.gov, and that was enough for me and my wife to pass. I did love that car however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I drove one, I'm 5'11" and found it to be roomy, but they were getting hit with passenger air bag recalls, so I skipped it in 2011. There was an irate customer at the Dodge dealer here in Tucson when I was test driving it, he claimed his passenger side air bag deployed at a stop light for no reason. I have no idea if this was true but other complaints were showing up at Safercar.gov, and that was enough for me and my wife to pass. I did love that car however.

That was 5 years ago, so whatever problems they were having, they've definitely fixed them long before now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,144
1 hour ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I am just shy of 6', but I am not proportionate, my height is all in my legs, so I have a hard time with a lot of sedans, the Charger was the only one I could sit in comfortably, but the one I checked out in June of last year had a sunroof, so I lost 2" in space because of that, the salesperson agreed if I go with a Charger, get one without a sunroof.

 

I sat in a Chevy Camaro last July, and with the seat in the default position, my head was touching the roof, even lowering the seat didn't help all that much, plus for some odd reason I couldn't see well over the hood.

---------------

I was told it was pointless to even sit in a Ford Mustang because out of all three "muscle" cars, it's going to be the hardest of the three for me to fit in.

 

I haven't tried sitting in an SUV yet, but I'm just not into that model of vehicle.

My Mustang is pretty spacious in the front two seats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

My Mustang is pretty spacious in the front two seats. 

If you're shorter than me, then it would be.  But for me, because I've got long legs I cannot fit in it, and even a salesperson said to skip it for that reason after not being able to fit into a Camaro well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,144
9 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

If you're shorter than me, then it would be.  But for me, because I've got long legs I cannot fit in it, and even a salesperson said to skip it for that reason after not being able to fit into a Camaro well.

Six foot is six foot. 

 

I am six foot. Your particular problem is solved with a telescopic steering wheel and seat height. The Mustang has more leg room than a Camaro. http://cars.axlegeeks.com/compare/41405-45840/2015-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-vs-2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Convertible

 

The higher end models can automatically back out the seat if needed for easy entry and exit. 

 

Don't knock it till you have tried it. Car salesman really aren't authorities on much at all, many times even their own dealership's vehicles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wakjak    18,015
9 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

If you're shorter than me, then it would be.  But for me, because I've got long legs I cannot fit in it, and even a salesperson said to skip it for that reason after not being able to fit into a Camaro well.

I'm six feet tall with long legs, and I drive a fiat 500. Leg room has really no bearing, when you can put the seats all the way back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'll never get in a convertible, so linking to that model of Mustang & Camaro is not something I'd ever consider buying.  I take it you have a convertible?  I am a new driver, I want full safety features, and a completely enclosed cab.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
12 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I'm six feet tall with long legs, and I drive a fiat 500. Leg room has really no bearing, when you can put the seats all the way back.

You may be proportionate, for me, I am not, my legs are long, my torso is short.  I've tried sitting in 4 sedans last year, 2 -- Camaro, and one other I don't remember the name or model -- sedans I just couldn't fit in properly, and yes, even with moving the seat back.  But the two I could fit it were the Charger & Challenger, but couldn't really see over the hood of the Challenger, same problem I had with the Camaro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
#Michael    208

I personally am looking at the mazada 6 grand touring model for later this year.  It's a sweet car.  Granted it doesn't have the engine of the charger but I think it is actually roomier than the charger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,144
3 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I'll never get in a convertible, so linking to that model of Mustang & Camaro is not something I'd ever consider buying.  I take it you have a convertible?  I am a new driver, I want full safety features, and a completely enclosed cab.

 

 

The head and legroom doesn't change between convertible and hard top. I have a hard top. 

1 minute ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

You may be proportionate, for me, I am not, my legs are long, my torso is short.

That's what they make telescopic steering wheels for. Are you looking at models that have them?

 

Im just trying to offer some perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,818

There are plenty of better sedans that are more reliable, feature packed, cheaper, etc. A mid-size sedan like a Camry/Accord/Mazda 6 should work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That's what they make telescopic steering wheels for. Are you looking at models that have them?

The Charger & Challenger -- if I remember correctly -- both come with that type of steering wheel.

2 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

There are plenty of better sedans that are more reliable, feature packed, cheaper, etc. A mid-size sedan like a Camry/Accord/Mazda 6 should work 

And none of those hold any interest for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Gary7    7,372

I used to have a 1968 Dodge Charger. I loved it but it was bitten by a tree. The new Chargers are rather pricey. I have an Acura now that would blow away a Charger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

The head and legroom doesn't change between convertible and hard top. I have a hard top.

Well, if and when I have a chance, I'll try finding a place that has a Mustang with an enclosed cab, and see if they'll let me sit in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
#Michael    208
2 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

The Charger & Challenger -- if I remember correctly -- both come with that type of steering wheel.

And none of those hold any interest for me.

The mazada 6 is a nice car.  Have you looked at the 2016 nissan maxima platinum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,818
4 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

And none of those hold any interest for me.

It sounds like your mind is already made then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I used to have a 1968 Dodge Charger. I loved it but it was bitten by a tree. The new Chargers are rather pricey. I have an Acura now that would blow away a Charger.

I live in Canada, all cars are pricey, even when they are made in Canada, which is extremely strange to say the least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,764

I drove a 2014 for a few weeks as a rental. 3.6L v6. Big and comfy, but it drives like a pig. Steering is heavy and imprecise, doesn't handle curves well. Does have some nice pep to it, but there are other full size cars from the Big 3 (if that's the direction you're looking) that handle much better. All in all it's quite a looker, comfy and has some fun acceleration, but aside from that the driving dynamics suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas the Tank Engine    420
5 minutes ago, #Michael said:

The mazada 6 is a nice car.  Have you looked at the 2016 nissan maxima platinum?

See:

9 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

And none of those hold any interest for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
#Michael    208
Just now, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

See:

 

Oh well...again tried to help.  Hope you can figure things outs.  Not going to spend all day trying to point out cars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.