Anyone Driven or Own a Dodge Charger?

3 minutes ago, shockz said:

I drove a 2014 for a few weeks as a rental. 3.6L v6. Big and comfy, but it drives like a pig. Steering is heavy and imprecise, doesn't handle curves well. Does have some nice pep to it, but there are other full size cars from the Big 3 (if that's the direction you're looking) that handle much better. All in all it's quite a looker, comfy and has some fun acceleration, but aside from that the driving dynamics suck.

I sat in a 2015 in June of last year, I liked it, and I have always wanted a Charger...blame "Dukes of Hazzard" for that.

I wouldn't mind getting a Charger SRT Hellcat, but as an extremely new driver, I'd most likely wrap myself around some sort of immobile object.

As a new driver you should be looking for something not so sporty...the base charger is lacking in a lot of areas including long term reliability.  If that is the car you want, nothing will persuade you otherwise.  You want to hear good things about it, way back when (in the 60's and 70's) they made a bad assed car called the charger and was a great fun car of its time. 

I am not looking at it as a sports car, but of my top 3 choices, it sits at the #1 spot.  My only other options really are SUVs, and I am not a "truck" person.

Thomas, some of the posters here are right. 

All you do is talk to the dealer and they will make some changes as the way  you want.  Such as full adjustable steering wheel, adjust the seats further back for you. So you can sit in comfortably.

I went to the dealership years ago,  They asked me to see if I want special additions to the car.. I asked him 'what you mean by that?' 

They said, they can adjust the seat (or change the seat), add the tint, etc. 

I was like 'Oh, none this time.' They make sure you are happy with the way the car is.  Which means they want you to go home happy instead of leaving upset.

For example, If you like Mustang, then you can ask them to make some changes to it and you can go home happy.

26 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I am not looking at it as a sports car, but of my top 3 choices, it sits at the #1 spot.  My only other options really are SUVs, and I am not a "truck" person.

There are lots of other options, but you don't want to hear them so your only options you are considering are suv's.  And even then, some suv's aren't tall person or even normal person friendly. 

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

There are lots of other options, but you don't want to hear them so your only options you are considering are suv's.  And even then, some suv's aren't tall person or even normal person friendly. 

I was just thinking that, the only "SUV" i felt comfortable in, compared to a car was much larger SUVs like the Tahoe, Expedition , etc. Sure the smaller SUVs maybe have an inch or more room compared to a nice sedan, but is the extra costs worth that? A lot of new SUVs in my opinion have gone down in size and are more like hybrid SUVs, compared to the old boats we used to see on the road.

if you care, if not ignore these as you have your mind made up.   you can do your own research into their reliability.  The first ones I list are the ones I consider to be most reliable, with least amount of random issues (personally owned).  towards the end, is a mix.

you want something sporty, the maxima, less sport, altima.  both are full sized cars and will fit your tall body nicely, they fit my 6'4 dad nicely where my 2014.5 camry se hybrid does not.  other cars to consider for tall people, avalon, azera, cadenza, genesis, taurus, impala, lacrosse (my dad has one of these). 

The mustang can fit a 6 foot tall person, but you would need to drop the seat as far down as it goes, as far back as it goes and lean the crap out of it

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

As a new driver, how new exactly?

I am approaching 40, just got my Class 7 (must be held for a year) in April of last year.  I have only driven once since getting it, and that was for 2 hours of driving in a circle -- the best way to describe the area where I had lived  -- for the first time in my entire life.  Starting next month I am taking driving lessons: 18 hours in class, 20 hours in car.  Then in late April or early May I can then take the test to see if I'll pass and get my Class 5-GDL (must be held for 2 years; then can test for my full Class 5).

59 minutes ago, sc302 said:

if you care, if not ignore these as you have your mind made up.   you can do your own research into their reliability.  The first ones I list are the ones I consider to be most reliable, with least amount of random issues (personally owned).  towards the end, is a mix.

you want something sporty, the maxima, less sport, altima.  both are full sized cars and will fit your tall body nicely, they fit my 6'4 dad nicely where my 2014.5 camry se hybrid does not.  other cars to consider for tall people, avalon, azera, cadenza, genesis, taurus, impala, lacrosse (my dad has one of these). 

The mustang can fit a 6 foot tall person, but you would need to drop the seat as far down as it goes, as far back as it goes and lean the crap out of it

As I said earlier, I am not looking for 'sporty', I like bigger cars.  I will look into some of those, but not all models are available in Canada.

14 minutes ago, sc302 said:

they may have different names in canada or have sister cars (different brand or different name but same car/same chassis).

These are the only names that I recognise: Genesis, Taurus, Impala.

15 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

These are the only names that I recognise: Genesis, Taurus, Impala.

nissan canada altima http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/altima

nissan canada maxima http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/maxima/versions-specs.html

toyota canada avalon http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/avalon/overview

no azera in canada probably have to go to genesis (discontinued 2-3 years ago in canada)

kia canada cadenza http://www.kia.ca/cadenza

buick canada lacrosse http://www.buick.ca/lacrosse-luxury-mid-size-sedan.html?x-zipcode=

Just now, sc302 said:

My boss has -- had?; she's American and I only work for her a few months a year on the midway circuit -- a Kia, and says it's the worst car she ever owned.  I don't remember the model.

5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

nissan canada altima http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/altima

nissan canada maxima http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/maxima/versions-specs.html

toyota canada avalon http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/avalon/overview

no azera in canada probably have to go to genesis

buick canada lacrosse http://www.buick.ca/lacrosse-luxury-mid-size-sedan.html?x-zipcode=

As you can see, the prices here in Canada are expensive, and most of those cars are around the same price as one of the cars I am interested in.

I wasn't going for price when making the recommendation, I was going for size/reliability...price is secondary to size and reliability. 

the nissan altima starting isn't bad.

I never said the model, because I don't remember the model, all that I remember is it is a Kia, and she said it's the worst car she ever owned.  Not my words, her words!

2 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

I never said the model, because I don't remember the model, all that I remember is it is a Kia, and she said it's the worst car she ever owned.  Not my words, her words!

I fully understand, they make so many different models..and there were many that are crap...can't hold all models of one manufacturer to that same label, there is a reason they have different models.  Some appeal to the cost conscience, some appeal to the more luxury side.  Cost conscience are generally going to get a base, no frills car. 

I wasn't going for price when making the recommendation, I was going for size/reliability...price is secondary to size and reliability. 

the nissan altima starting isn't bad.

What Nissan puts on it's official site is always different from what the dealers list, and they may all have a similar pricing structure, or so I was told by a dealer, but they are not always truthful.

here in the states, the sticker is what you see on the site.  You can usually talk them down esp on the altima.  I would expect a decently equipped 2.5 S will be right around 20k or slightly less.  Fees will bring it up of course.  I usually go in thinking what I am going to pay to walk out the door is somewhere close to what the site says the price is (this is after taxes and tags).  So if it says 23k, I expect to come out paying 22-23k total after all the taxes and other garbage. 

My sticker on my 3.5 sr altima was 30,500.  What I ended up paying out of pocket, out the door price, was 29,500.  My sticker on my toyota camry hybrid was 30,900, what I ended up paying out of pocket, out the door price, was 29,800. 

It won't hurt to have a conversation with a car dealer, if anything it won't cost another other than a bit of time.  If you have a talk with a few, they will realize you are serious and can pit dealer against dealer to get you the better price.  Or you can use the internet for your queries, with things like truecar...but be careful with true car, generally they find every discount, even ones you don't qualify for, and apply them to the price...you really feel cheated when you walk away with your tail between your legs.

1 hour ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

My boss has -- had?; she's American and I only work for her a few months a year on the midway circuit -- a Kia, and says it's the worst car she ever owned.  I don't remember the model.

Kia has changed over the last 7 to 8 years, before they definitely had reliability issues, but their new stuff is nice.

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Kia has changed over the last 7 to 8 years, before they definitely had reliability issues, but their new stuff is nice.

The Kia she bought was a 2015 model....

On 2016-03-24 at 8:28 AM, tsupersonic said:

There are plenty of better sedans that are more reliable, feature packed, cheaper, etc. A mid-size sedan like a Camry/Accord/Mazda 6 should work 

On 2016-03-24 at 9:59 AM, sc302 said:

Other cars to consider for tall people, avalon, azera, cadenza, genesis, taurus, impala, lacrosse (my dad has one of these).

What about the 2017 Volvo S90?

3 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

What about the 2017 Volvo S90?

No history on it,  probably will be high end on the Volvo line,  cost of ownership is high after warranty is over (same reason I didn't put BMW or Mercedes on the list).  I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend a volvo if you want a low tco car for the life of the car. 

Drove one rental a year ago.  I'm not a car person, so my description may mean jack but, it felt cramped - moreso than I expected.  The headlights were not even worth bothering with, as they were pointless.  It constantly felt like it was "wobbly" rather than a nice stiff ride.  And worst of all, all the revs in the world never seemed to translate into actual power.